This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

preparing to install windows 7

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Currently using windows xp. I'm trying to prepare to install windows 7 and I am currently working on what I am keeping from my programmes setup files. I have several programme setup files in my docs folder. Can I copy/move these files to another hard disk for safe keeping (and will they work properly when I try to install them after being moved), or would I be better to get the latest versions first and then save them to another hard disk and cd/dvd. Programmes such as avg av, any downloaded progs, firewall etc. Also, how would I go about saving all my drivers files & where would I find them on the pc. Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered. hedley
I am so glad you are asking these questions now, instead of coming back in a panic after trying this update wondering why and how it all went so badly.

Understand that from my experience, by far the people with the most, and most severe problems with Windows 7 are those who attempt to install Windows 7 on hardware designed to run XP - an operating system developed over 10 years ago and designed to support DOS era hardware.

So, before you do anything, you need to determine if your legacy hardware will support an OS designed to run modern, state-of-the-art hardware by running Windows 7 Upgrade Adviser. If, and only if your hardware passes, then consider upgrading.

I have several programme setup files in my docs folder. Can I copy/move these files to another hard disk for safe keeping (and will they work properly when I try to install them after being moved)

Yes you can copy but it is not likely your programs will work. For one, most programs must be installed so they are registered in the Registry so Windows knows where to find all the components and how to set it up for you. For another reason, some programs just don't work on Window 7 so you need to verify yours do , or that there is a newer version that does.

Also, how would I go about saving all my drivers files & where would I find them on the pc.

I think there's a lack of understanding here. The entire purpose of a driver is to tell your operating system how to communicate with that specific hardware device. So it serves no purpose to save your XP drivers when your hardware requires Win7 drivers to work. And not just Windows 7 drivers, but the correct Win7 drivers. 64-bit Windows is becoming more and more popular and if you are using 64-bit Windows 7, you need 64-bit Windows 7 drivers. 32-bit will not work. And unfortunately, not all legacy hardware makers have created Windows 7 drivers, and many only have 32-bit. In some cases, Vista drivers will work. But again, you must ensure 32 or 64-bit is correct.
Hi Digerati, thanks for the reply. I've been using windows xp since its release but I bought a new dual core pc about 3/4 years ago along with hard drives, usb drives and optical drives. I had already checked with the upgrade advisor and apparently I can run either 32 or 64 bit on my pc. I do know I haven't got HAV on my pc, but I am still checking into software that I already have as far as being suitable for windows 7 or the possibility of updates/upgrades. The reason I asked about drivers etc is because I read on MS site that if you were upgrading from xp your files & settings had to be saved beforehand. I assumed settings included drivers. If I was using software in xp mode would I not need the xp drivers for it? When talking about upgrading MS say you have to choose clean install. Pardon my ignorance, but is this not the same as a completely new install having formatted the hard drive you are going to use for windows 7. It's a full version of windows 7 I have for install so, is formatting my xp hard drive and then installing windows 7 not the same as a new install rather than an upgrade? Ideally, I would like to install windows 7 on a sata drive I have already installed and doing away with my ide drive, but wouldn't know how to go about changing the letter to make it the boot drive that all installed programmes/registry settings etc would go where they should go etc, but that's another topic for another day. If I have got my wires crossed (which is more than likely) perhaps you could set me straight. If I could go off topic for a second, I presume all files/documents created in MS Office 2003 documents can be opened in MS Office 2007, particularly word, as I hope to upgrade that as well. Hope I haven't rabbitted on too much! Thanks for the help. Much appreciated. hedley
I don't know what you mean by HAV.

The reason I asked about drivers etc is because I read on MS site that if you were upgrading from xp your files & settings had to be saved beforehand. I assumed settings included drivers. If I was using software in xp mode would I not need the xp drivers for it?

Files and setting do not include drivers. Drivers are hardware specific and associated with a specific operating system.

When talking about upgrading MS say you have to choose clean install. Pardon my ignorance, but is this not the same as a completely new install

Yes. That is the same. But when upgrading from XP, it means you can buy an upgrade license, but must perform a clean install. The update is to save money, the clean install is because it technically requires it when upgrading from XP.

I presume all files/documents created in MS Office 2003 documents can be opened in MS Office 2007, particularly word

Yes, but Office 2007 has different formatting feature. Word 2003 uses .doc and 2007 uses .docx formatting. So when you open a 2003 doc, you will be prompted to convert.
Thanks for the reply. I can't find any reference to HAV now, even on MS website. It stood for Hardware Assisted Virtualization I think. Apparently if a certain part of your hardware did not support this you would not be able to use XP Mode on your pc with windows 7. Could have been the chip or motherboard, I really can't remember now, but MS removed the need to have it on a pc and xp mode would still work. I'm sure if someone reads this who knows what I mean they will either confirm what I have said or set me straight. Thanks again for the help, always appreciated. hedley

I can't find any reference to HAV now, even on MS website. It stood for Hardware Assisted Virtualization I think. Apparently if a certain part of your hardware did not support this you would not be able to use XP Mode on your pc with windows 7.

Ah! You mean, WIndows XP Mode.
XP Mode initially required CPU virtualization support but a recent update removed that requirement. I now run it on my Dell Precision 370 which does not have it, though I much prefer Sun VirtualBox. The one advantage to XP Mode that I can see is you can actually have an icon on your Win 7 desktop that when clicked, will launch the application you installed in XP Mode. Very slick.
Me neither, I just like it as a neat toy. If I could get it to support my scanner which does not work under Windows 7 then I could see a use for it, but as far as I can see, you need a Win 7 device driver before you can use it in XP Mode.
Hi Digerati You said in a post above that office 2007 word files had a docx extension. I have office 2003 at present and literally hundreds of word files scattered over my drives. Maybe a rhetorical question, but would it be an 'easier' task to install office 2007 in xp and change the extension before I back everything up? Thanks for the help. hedley

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI