Nahumi
Topic Starter
Hey guys,
This is probably in the wrong forum.
Just a heads up on an issue I had with the modified MVPS Hosts file. It seems to cause havoc in Windows 7 with either the DNS Cache or Network Awareness Services on Netbooks, or machines which are particularly low on power. Haven't had a chance to check it on Vista, but I'm sure the story is much the same.
I noticed this problem a few days after I decided to use the MVPS Hosts file in order to stop unwanted ads on my netbook. I noticed that the svchosts.exe (Network Service) was taking up 50% of the CPU power. There was a bit of a discrepancy there because although it was saying 50%, the CPU graph was showing 100% utilisation. I suspect this is down to Intel's hyperthreading, or the fact that the clock speed was turned down to around 800Mhz on battery.
Anyway, the fact that one of the above services was taking a while to get started meant that the whole machine slowed down. I was also unable to use any browsers until the services were up and running, and even then the connection seemed to be slow and intermittent.
Originally I thought the issue was with my beta version of Google Chrome because the problem seemed to go away once I had opened up IE. I was unable to reproduce that "workaround" however, so I guess it was just a coincidence.
Restoring the original Hosts file seemed to be the only way to stop these services acting up.
So in essence. Be wary of using your Hosts file as an adblocker on Netbooks etc.
Cheers,
Nahumi