I had a nasty infestation that I found and destroyed, but some of the problems remain. My current problem is Internet Explorer "can't find the webpage" no mater what webpage I put even when connected to the internet. Interestingly, Firefox works fine.
Wish I would have remember the name of the virus but Avira and SuperAntiSpyware couldn't find it, I had to use HijackThis to discover and delete it manually.
Symptoms of the virus:
- fake antivirus program installed on the computer in the taskbar
- would crash when I tried to ctrl-alt-delete
- kept me from accessing the internet
- constant pop-ups and warning messages telling me I needed to purchase a fake antivirus program in order to remove the many "viruses" on my computer
- porn website pop-up
If you could help me fix the remaining issue of IE not accessing webpages I would be very appreciative
Please do not uninstall/install any programs unless asked to
It is more difficult when files/programs are appearing in/disappearing from the logs.
Please do not run any scans other than those requested
Please follow all instructions in the order posted
All logs/reports, etc.. must be posted in Notepad. Please ensure that word wrap is unchecked. In notepad click format, uncheck word wrap if it is checked.
Do not attach any logs/reports, etc.. unless specifically requested to do so.
If you have problems with or do not understand the instructions, Please ask before continuing.
Please stay with this thread until given the All Clear. A absence of symptoms does not mean a clean machine.
Make sure these settings are correct.
Open Internet Explorer
at the top click Tools
Click Internet Options
Click Connections tab
Click Lan Settings button
Make sure the box beside "Use a proxy sever for your Lan" is UNchecked
OK your way out.
Please note is you are using Vista or Windows 7 you will need to right click the file and click "Run as Administrator" instead of double clicking.
Download OTL to your desktop.
Double click on OTL.exe to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
When the window appears, underneath Output at the top change it to Minimal Output
Check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check.
In the window under Custom Scans/Fixes copy and paste the following
Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post it with your next reply. You may need two posts to fit them all in.