Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Internet Explorer virus

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stacks

stacks

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:42 PM

Hi What the Tech team, Something is going on with my Internet Explorer (which I never use). Recently, my Internet Explorer would open two browsers randomly without me doing anything. The browsers would open but would not go to any particular site. Two browser windows would just appear. I tried to uninstall the browser (add/remove programs in the control panel) but when I scrolled down to Internet Explorer it does not provide any options (normally it would have change/remove appearring on the bottom right of the selection). If you could help in any way, it would be greatly appreciated. For reference, based on your past suggestions (I've received advice regarding virus protection and hijackthis), I have now been using Malwarebytes Anti Malware, Spywareblaster and Spybot Search And destroy. I update them pretty regularly. Another note: my computer takes a bit longer to boot up I think. Thanks so much for your past assistance and thanks in advance for your help. Stacks.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:58 PM

Hi stacks. The first thing to try is to boot to Safe Mode and see if the problem occurs there. If not, then do the following:

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem.

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP or Vista:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista

First, open Control Panel and click on Windows Firewall. If it's Off, turn it on because you will be disabling any other Firewall and Anti-virus in the following steps.

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab then the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if how it works now.
If okay then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if how it works now.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best. Enable everything else you disabled.

Disable Windows Firewall if you enabled it at the start of this process.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:59 PM

Hi stacks, When running the software programs you noted in your post, are they showing any issues at all? I suggest you go back to the Malware forum and post another HJT log to get clearance for your system. kind regards,

#4 stacks

stacks

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:43 PM

Hi guys, So which one should I do? HiJackThis or the MSconfig stuff? thanks, stacks

#5 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:16 AM

It would be best to make sure you don't have any malware, so the HJT forum is the right place to start. Once you're cleared there, if you still have the problem, come back here and try the msconfig process.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#6 stacks

stacks

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:32 AM

Hi There, Thanks for your quick reply. Here is the hijackthis log. Stacks Attached File  HJT_for_Stacks.txt   8.95KB   365 downloads

#7 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:42 PM

Stacks,

You've used our Malware Removal Forum less than a month ago.
So you already know to read here.
And post your HJT Log as a New Topic, here.

We don't do Malware analysis and removal in the Hardware or Software Forums.

Post back here into this same Thread, if you continue to have needs after completing your Malware Removal work.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.