Hi What the Tech team,
Something is going on with my Internet Explorer (which I never use).
Recently, my Internet Explorer would open two browsers randomly without me doing anything. The browsers would open but would not go to any particular site. Two browser windows would just appear. I tried to uninstall the browser (add/remove programs in the control panel) but when I scrolled down to Internet Explorer it does not provide any options (normally it would have change/remove appearring on the bottom right of the selection).
If you could help in any way, it would be greatly appreciated.
For reference, based on your past suggestions (I've received advice regarding virus protection and hijackthis), I have now been using Malwarebytes Anti Malware, Spywareblaster and Spybot Search And destroy. I update them pretty regularly. Another note: my computer takes a bit longer to boot up I think.
Thanks so much for your past assistance and thanks in advance for your help.
Stacks.
Hi stacks. The first thing to try is to boot to Safe Mode and see if the problem occurs there. If not, then do the following:
Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem.
First, open Control Panel and click on Windows Firewall. If it's Off, turn it on because you will be disabling any other Firewall and Anti-virus in the following steps.
Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab then the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if how it works now.
If okay then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.
If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if how it works now.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.
Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best. Enable everything else you disabled.
Disable Windows Firewall if you enabled it at the start of this process.
Hi stacks,
When running the software programs you noted in your post, are they showing any issues at all?
I suggest you go back to the Malware forum and post another HJT log to get clearance for your system.
kind regards,
It would be best to make sure you don't have any malware, so the HJT forum is the right place to start. Once you're cleared there, if you still have the problem, come back here and try the msconfig process.