I have recently upgraded my memory from 2 gb to 4 gb. I replaced the matching pair of 2x1 gb with a matching pair of 2x2 gb. This is the maximum my pc can take. The pc didn't really show any signs during usage that the memory had been upgraded. On looking at system properties, it gives the RAM as 3.12 gb.
If that is all that is showing I presume that is all I am getting in memory. Is there a setting that has to be changed so the full 4gb is shown/usable and if so, what would it be?
Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered.
hedley
Hi, if you are using a 32 bit OS then the 3.1GB is about right…..
The memory is there but the OS can't ustilise it all…this is not a fault…but just how it is……
if you want to utilise the whole 4GB (or more) then you will need a 64bit OS
Regards
paws
paws, thanks for the reply. I've been trying to find out if my processor is 64 bit compatible as I will be installing windows 7 sometime soon. I have seen 4 different methods of finding this and in each method the system type or processor is shown giving 64 being mentioned somewhere in the specs in the examples.
I have checked mine with 2 of these methods and in both cases it gives mine as 'x86-based pc' under system type and 'x86 family model 15 stepping 2 GenuineIntel~2619 Mhz'. under processor. As my processor is dual core this last one is given twice. 2.62 Ghz in total.
Do you know if showing x86 means my processor is only 32 bit, or do you know anywhere I could check it out further?
Thanks for your help.
hedley
Thanks for the reply, paws. Makes for interesting reading. I have read through it and have bookmarked it for future reference.
Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.
hedley