This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Two Operating Systems Needed

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am not computer tech nor vocabulary savvy, so please instruct me like a kid. I have a new HP Pavillion running Windows 7 (which I LOVE). I have a program I use for my job that will ONLY work on XP. So, I am carrying around 2 laptops. I want to be able to use just my new one, but I need the XP to do that one program. Can I use an external hard drive and boot from it when using that program? If so, what do I need to buy and how do I go about setting that up? And can I use one of the USB ones? And how do I get XP on it so it boots, etc.? See, lots of questions… I just want to be able to use ONE laptop. Whatever is easiest to run XP for that one program when working. Thanks!
If that doesn't work, you can download and install Windows 7 XP Mode. This sets up a virtual XP environment. Then you install your program there and it becomes an icon on your desktop, just like any other program. When you open it, XP mode starts and launches the program.

With recent changes, you no longer need a CPU that supports Virtualization, so it will work on any computer that can run Windows 7.

If you need to go this route, post back and we can help you get it setup.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI