This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Can I have two OS on one computer, and how?

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am not computer tech nor vocabulary savvy, so please instruct me like a kid. I have a new HP Pavillion running Windows 7 (which I LOVE). I have a program I use for my job that will ONLY work on XP. So, I am carrying around 2 laptops. I want to be able to use just my new one, but I need the XP to do that one program. Can I use an external hard drive and boot from it when using that program? If so, what do I need to buy and how do I go about setting that up? And can I use one of the USB ones? And how do I get XP on it so it boots, etc.? See, lots of questions… I just want to be able to use ONE laptop. Whatever is easiest to run XP for that one program when working. Thanks!
Hey adasha,

Sorry that you had to wait such a long time for a reply.

You could dual boot your machine to have both Windows 7 and XP installed. The process is relatively simple, but it means you have to buy a new licensed copy of Windows XP.

The other, much easier and probably cheaper option is to upgrade your copy of Windows 7 to Professional or Ultimate. Both come with something called "XP Mode" which will let you run any bit of software in a XP environment. If you're lucky you might be able to claim this upgrade under company expenses.

Head over to :

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

To find out more about Windows 7 XP Mode and how to use it.


Hope that helps,
Nahumi

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI