I've fallen in with a bunch who enjoy and advocate SUSE 11.2
Here's the iso for your convenience:
http://software.opensuse.org/112/en
Both SUSE or Ubuntu will install a boot loader (grub) which will carefully set aside your Windows OS and then create separate partitions for the Linux installation in a format that is not recognizable from Windows. (EXT3 or EXT4) (compared to NTFS file system)
The ordinary expected experience is that the installation of Linux will proceed flawlessly and when you reboot, you will be presented with a gui from which to select to boot into either your Windows OS or the Linux OS.
The "Rule of Thumb" for installing dual boot is: Install the "older/slower" before the "newer/faster".
That means install windows first, and then follow with an installation of Linux which will take command of the bootloader.
It really doesn't go as smoothly if you first install Linux and then add Windows. (doable but not recommended.)
Neither is it necessary to install any sort of boot utility, since Linux bootloader (grub) will ignore it anyway.
Word of caution: The above is characterized as "ordinary expected", but your mileage may vary.
For instance, I have a machine with Windows XP Pro SP3 already set up the way I like it.
I decided to also install SUSE 11.1 (and other version than recommended above)
The SUSE installation went as expected, until it got to the point of "writing system configuration"
At that point, the installer and even the installer auto-repair could not verify the packages (pieces of the installation)
I got stuck in an endless failing loop.
I ended up with my prior Windows and my new Linux, but couldn't gain access to either.
Using various utilities, I could "see" both, but boot neither.
I tried to use Recovery Console to repair Windows MFT (clear attributes, Del boot.ini, BootCFG /rebuild, Fixboot) to no avail…. I was locked out.
I had to revert to my Acronis Rescue CD and Restore the Windows Partition from a backup image.
All is well and good now, thanks to my forethought to create a full disk image backup.
Moral of the story:
If you depend upon the machine that you also intend to use for your Linux experiment…
Have all of your important documents and media backed up securely outside of the Hard Drive you will be using.
I'd go so far as to recommend that you first obtain and use an image backup tool such as Acronis before launching your Linux career.
It is "rare" for a Linux Distro installation media to fail, but if it does you could end up being locked out completely like I was.
Disk Image backup is a wonderful thing, and Acronis is my favorite.
I would compare SUSE favorably with Ubuntu.
Either are pretty much "out of the box" experiences, including fully automated installation similar to Windows wizard graphical user interface.
SUSE installation also installs Firefox and I think also Open Office.
To view online clips such as YouTube, you will have to separately install JAVA JRE and Flash Player.
From there, it is just a matter of using it and gaining experience.
Since it is set up with internet browser, email client, office utilities you will already be able to do the basics.
When it comes to graphics editing with your favorite tools, you will likely run into some cmd line scripting to get drivers and such set up.
When your time and inclination come to the point of wishing to learn about Linux, instead of just enjoying the out-of-the-box use, there are a couple of interesting resources.
http://lowfatlinux.com/ <– I know this fellow locally and know that he is both an excellent teacher, and highly ethical.
http://h30187.www3.hp.com/all_courses.jsp?…ight/model_desc <– this is the course offerings from HP Learning Center (consider Linux 101 which is an intro to Debian Linux)
And a note about Linux related websites with Forum style help.
Linux enthusiasts are generally hard working and decent folk, who expect the same from visitors.
That means that if they have already written an answer to your question and posted it, they expect you to search and read before you start posting "newbie questions" that have already been answered.
They might even ignore your question until you demonstrate that you "get their point" that they are providing the help and often the compiled software for free at the expense of their own effort and love of learning.
Be decent and hard working and they will more likely treat you with the same in return.
Have a great time.