Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Not sure where 2 go

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 HMH22

HMH22

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:34 PM

Hi i am having a problem with my desktop computer but recently I have been using my sisters laptop one she received from the school about 3 yrs ago. My problem is that its in student account and in order for me to add a program on it needs to be on the administrative account but she doesnt know what the password is to the account. I wanted to know if there is a way around finding how to add a program without being on the admistrative account. I want to download windows internet explorer 8. (P.S I have already tried asking the school for the password and they say they dont know it since it has been a few years. It was done as a special class) nIf anyone could help my please thanks.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 HMH22

HMH22

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:04 PM

I have been looking on the internet would a password recovery tool be helpful or will that just do damage?

#3 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:27 AM

BIOS or Operating System's passwords are there for the purpose related to Security and Privacy to protect the legitimate owner of a machine. While there are many locations on the Internet that might help you learn about managing passwords for a machine's BIOS or Operating System, we at WTT Forums do not assist in what could amount to hacking past a machine owner's Security and Privacy safeguards.

While such requests are often legitimate, and come from users who experience exactly the kind of problem that you post, we have no way of determining legitimate vs. not legitimate, therefore we do not respond to such requests.

Microsoft provides limited assistance at 2 sites
http://support.micro....com/kb/894900/
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321305

Both sites depend upon information that you and/or your sister may or may not have in your possession:
1. Password reset disk (The owner must have created this in advance of any difficulty)
2. Access to another user-account that does have administrative permissions.
3. Access to the default administrator account either by password or by "blank" if the original owner failed to password protect the default Administrator account.

Otherwise, you may be facing a more complicated procedure involving repair installation of the XP operating system.
If this (repair installation) course of action becomes necessary, you will need the 25 digit Product Key for XP operating system, plus the installation CD media.

Your sister's school may have provided the machine for use during participation in the "special class" without regard to needs that could arise after that participation was complete. Unfortunately, this does occur, leaving people in situations similar to what you may now be experiencing.

While there are sites and resources on the internet that claim to be able to circumvent Windows XP password protection, there are risks involved.
WTT Forums does not assist with those types of sites/resources.

Word of caution: If you do venture into a third-party password reset utility..... Be sure to first save all of the important data, files, media and information that you do not wish to risk losing. Don't forget to make backup copies of any application/utility installation media and record the registration user-name, password and Product Key Code for those applications/utilities in case you eventually need to reinstall them.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#4 HMH22

HMH22

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:40 PM

Hi thanks for the advice. I know how it looks but, I am no hacker I know nothing about computers. The "special class" as you put it was for city in schools class its a class for those ho deal with rea world situations where they work in the real world and that was why she had the computer in the first place because, she used outside the class room. They let her keep it and have never asked for it back but the teacher who was working on the project with her class has left the school. I dont think I want to try and do anything i saw from the websities because I dont want the computer messe up is there any other way I can put internet 8 on the computermybe buy it somewhere or get a disk to put it on nd download it that way. Since our other computer is down right now this is the only other one we have and my family needs to use to do projects reason in the first place of why I asked is because they need powerpoint presentation for an upcoming project and Icant download it because i dont have internet explorer 8. Anyway thanks for the advice if there is any other way uyou could help maybe tell me about a website they could go to to get their projects done thanks in advance.

#5 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:03 PM

What version of Internet Explorer is the machine presently running? Is there a reason why version 8.0 is needed? I've never heard of such a requirement. IE 7.0 or even 6.0 should happily be able to download a Power Point file. As to actually displaying Power Point, you need either Power Point, or Power Point Viewer. _________________- Does the machine have the installation CD or OEM recovery CD available?

#6 HMH22

HMH22

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:38 PM

Hi sorry it took me so long to write back I have been out all day but, to answer your question I believe its on Internet Explorer 6 and my sister said when she tried to download it would do start to download but there was a messege saying that it didnt downloaded correctly because something was not there. Im not sure what it was I have not tried to download it. She needs to make a powerpoint for her class and also is worried that it will not show corectly because she would be transferring it to the schools version which I think is office 2007 im not sure. I hope that answered your question

#7 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:03 PM

You can consider downloading and using Internet Explorer 7.0
here: http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

As to the Power Point issue... that is entirely separate.

If your machine has a prior version of Power Point, the school's Office 2007 Power Point, will be able to read/display/convert it.

Best Regards

#8 HMH22

HMH22

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:55 PM

Hi thanks for the advice I tried to download internet explorer 7.0 version nd it downloaded then it said it was extracting files and when that was done an iesetup.exe-Application error came up. It said that the application failed to initalize properly (0xc000012d). Click OK to terminate application. Yes there is a powerpoint already on the computer so you said it should be able to convert correct?

#9 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:08 PM

If the machine is running IE 6.0, then it really should be upgraded at least to 7.0.
Version 6.0 is buggy and no longer supported for security updates.

Though 8.0 has significantly more security features, I still use IE 7.0 and find that it runs better on my older and lower resource machines.
Version 7.0 is still supported for security updates, but I suppose sometime soon, I'll have to bite the bullet and upgrade to 8.0
I use Firefox 3.6x for most all browsing, and IE only for Windows and MS updates, and a couple of government sites.

This discussion raises the issue of eventual inevitable solution for this machine.... which may involve a fresh installation of the operating system and drivers.

You "may" be able to solve the immediate 0xc000012d by updating your video/graphics driver (particularly if it is nVidia brand.

Unhappily, we do not know what method the school system used for installing the operating system and drivers.
They may have used the machine as an incorporated part of their Network, and may have deployed OS and drivers accordingly.

But maybe you will be lucky and find that your version of Windows does have an individual Product Key (25 digit alphanumeric code)

Have a look on the outside of the case, usually on the bottom, or possibly inside the compartment for the main battery.

If you find the holographic MS Product Key Code Sticker, then all you may need is the matching installation CD

It's also the case that if you eventually re-install the Windows Operating System, you will loose all of the installed applications, including MS Office if that is installed.

Again, you may be able to discover the Product Key Code, this time by using Belarc Advisor

It is always handy to have a print-put of Belarc Advisor for any machine, since it lists your Product Key Codes as well as identifying information about all of your hardware.

But my meandering thoughts may be taking you way beyond what you wanted to get involved with.
If your machine is functioning as you wished at this point, then we can take a break and resume any larger scale plans at such time as you prefer.

Best Regards

#10 HMH22

HMH22

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:50 AM

I have a question where do I get the installation cd. Should I ask the school what the used or do I need to go and buy one myself.

#11 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:07 AM

I doubt the school will give you the XP installation CD, particularly because they didn't provide it at the same time they gifted the machine. But it wouldn't hurt to ask. Similarly, any software such as MS Office which they installed will require the installation CD and Product Key Code if you intend to reinstall. Installation CDs will run on any machine. What "activates them" is the Product Key Code that matches the type of installation CD. Without the matching Product Key Code, the installation will not complete. There are: Retail versions OEM versions OEM branded versions Upgrade versions Multi-license versions Product Key Codes of one type of version will activate their own version, but will not activate the CD installation of another version. Once you have discovered the Product Key Code that has been used with that machine, you "may" be able to borrow and use an installation CD from another machine that has the same version. There is no easy way of identifying the version of a Product Key Code from looking at the alphanumeric 25 character sequence. As far as "purchasing" new XP operating system CD, and new software application installation CD for MS Office... That can be done, but it can become expensive when compared to the value of the existing machine, and in comparison to replacing the machine with a new machine that already has an operating system and an assortment of application software. ________________ Did you try updating your video graphics driver?

#12 HMH22

HMH22

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:52 AM

So what you are saying is that the MS Office would also need a product key the school used to put it back on? What if I have my own MS office that i bought for my desktop computer I tried to put it on the laptop but, again it says that it has to be on the administratve account to add any new program. I do see the program key on the bottom of the laptop. I dont want to to really replace the whole operating system because its just being used until our desktop computer is repaired but, they still need somethng they can use to do there work on from school.. What are you asking when you say did I update the video graphics driver? Is that like the flashplayer because I have tried to download it but it doesnt work. I also have another question I know for our desktop computer when I put the internet on to our computer the phone company came out and set it up would they need to do that with this laptop where they install it with the cd like they did with the other computer? Would that help put on Internet Explorer 7 or higher on this computer?

#13 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:23 PM

Updating the video graphics driver is a fix that sometimes works when a machine encounters a blue screen Stop/Error - 0xc000012d You indicated you ran into that 0xc000012d error code and that is why I recommended you consider updating the video graphics driver for the machine (download and install from the manufacturer's website) You may be running into a brick wall with the "Administrative Account" requirement. Unless the steps works for you from one of the MS articles (about lost Administrative Password) I linked for you previously, you may be locked out from performing any repair on the machine, short of a complete re-installation of the operating system and all of the software applications. Frustrating! If you own MS Office you are licensed to use it on any "one" machine. If it is a "Retail version" (purchased separate from a machine) it should install on any one windows machine of your choice. However, you may still run into the "Administrative Account" issue with regard to the laptop given by the school.

#14 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:32 PM

I also have another question I know for our desktop computer when I put the internet on to our computer the phone company came out and set it up would they need to do that with this laptop where they install it with the cd like they did with the other computer? Would that help put on Internet Explorer 7 or higher on this computer?

The internet connection is unrelated to version of browser.

If your phone company set up your modem (DSL) as an "always on" connection, then you should be able to connect any computer that you wish.

Presuming that you connect to internet via Ethernet cable from your modem, plug it into the laptop.
Trouble-shooting help, if needed, is available via http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313242

#15 HMH22

HMH22

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:21 AM

Hey thanks for the advice Im trying to see if any of them will work