Could anyone recommend a comprehensive book on windows 7. There seems to be a lot of choice, but I'm not sure which would explain it best.
Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered.
hedley
If you are coming from Vista, and feel you know Vista pretty well, I am not sure any Win 7 book will be worth the cost. But if like me, you put off upgrading your XP systems until Win 7 came out, then I think a good book will be useful. I got as a gift Windows 7 Inside Out and have found it most useful when I trying to deal with the many enhancements in Win7, as well as the many idiosyncrasies - or so they appear when used to XP.
Thanks for the replies. I'm moving from xp to windows 7, so it's more or less the new menu layouts, file saving options, the new interface and the how to's etc in general. I've seen the 7 second videos on MS website and on TV, but I'm afraid I can never make out what they say, never mind what they do!
Do you know of any other demonstration videos anywhere on the net?
I'll certainly check out your recommendations on the books.
Thanks again for the help.
hedley
Then you are set for a big learning curve to get over. But having moved all my systems to Win7 and using it for the last 6 months, I am very happy with it. That said, I upgraded all my hardware at the same time.
I also upgraded from XP to Windows 7 and will never look back.
There is a wealth of information available on the internet fro Windows 7 already. One that I find very useful is on Sevenforums. com and is a series of tutorials on how to do just about anything you can think of. Most are by Brink (Shawn) who writes very good ones:
One of the first things I do when I install 7 is to turn of UAC. In my opinion it's a genuine PITA that gives a false sense of security. Most people automatically click Continue whenever a UAC popup shows asking if you really want to do something. After the first 50 or 100 of these, it becomes a habit to click Continue … Disable via msconfig / Tools. Others will say this is dumb to do, oh well, Caveat Emptor!
2nd thing I do is get rid of the left side of the Windows 7 SuperBar (TaskBar) and replace it with the good old XP style QuickLaunch bar. Brink (above) has a tutorial for this.
One of the first things I do when I install 7 is to turn of UAC.
I do too, for my personal systems. But for clients where the computer will be used by multiple user (Read: invincible kids), I keep it enabled - or rather I disable it, set up Windows and all the required applications, then re-enable it.
Thanks for all the replies. Certainly a lot to think about.
Ztruker, I checked out your links. They are great tutorials and easy to follow and I have them bookmarked for future reference.
Thanks again for all the help. Much appreciated, as always.
hedley
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI