Ok so I have 2 temp monitoring programs and they both say that my mobo is at 84-85c……also says that in my bios (even after off all night and fresh boot). All other temps are fine but I think it is the cause of my game crashes. I only have 2 fans (not including cpu fan) but this is just recently becoming a problem. I tried opening my case and pointing a house fan at high right onto the mobo and even this does not lower the temp (but game won't crash) what should I do?
Hi and welcome to the WTT forums.
Sorry to hear of the problems with your machine's motherboard temperature
Check with the motherboard manufacturer, as to their recommendations for your particular set up, as some are designed to run hotter than others. However I like to see temps a lot lower than the ones you have recorded, and if your machine stops crashing when you lower the temperature by directing a fan on it, then the message is clear……Your cooling is inadequate.
Make sure that internal "cable clutter" around the motherboard is not providing an incorrect reading…keep all cables neatly tied away. The CPU temp is usually more critical than that provided by the Mobo sensor, and if this is within limits then the situation is not too dire…never the less I would be inclined to to re-asses your cooling and install additional and bigger fans, making sure they are correctly orientated … I've seen quite a few set ups where fans have been installed the wrong way around, and where they are working against each other!
The general rule is to get the temps as low as possible…machines do not like excess heat, and MTBF will be greatly affected by excess heat.
Needless to say if you have overclocked or are only using passive cooling (Heat sink without fan assistance on a powerful Video adapter, then this will make the heat problems much worse.
Regards
paws