This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Command to check Hardware!

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Can anyone please let me know if there is any command/any other way to know if there is graphics card installed in my system? Also,on the similar lines, please let me know if there is any command/any other way to know if there is a modem /network card installed on my system? I know that I would know this while purchasing the system but I would like to know if there is any alternative way to do this?

but I would like to know if there is any alternative way to do this?

Look at the back panel of the computer. If you see a monitor connector in the same small connection area with your mouse and keyboard, you have on-board (integrated in the motherboard) graphics. If you have a monitor connection in one of the expansion "slots" then you have a card. If there are no monitor connections, you will need to buy a card.

Same with the network connection - if you have a RJ-45 jack, you have an Ethernet network connection. Now understand a modem in a computer is used to connect to a telephone system and it uses a similar, but smaller RJ-11 connection. These are not the same a cable/DSL modems, which are external boxes.
Thanks for the reply. I will check that and let you know. But, is there any command to know this? For example: if I would like to know this for any laptop, then how would I come to know this?
Thanks, How do I come to know if I don't have any graphics card? I know that this software will tell me, however, I want to know if there is any diagnostic method by looking at the connections?
Hi, Until Digerati gets back to you, try this: 1 Start SIW ( link provided by Digerati) 2 Have a look at the pane at the left of your screen and under the heading for Hardware, Click on "Video"…this will provide details of your Video….. you can then use your favourite search engine to find out the details including if it is integrated into the motherboard or a separate video card. 3 An additional or alternative check can be made by: 4 Clicking on "Motherboard" still under the hardware heading, and this will give you details of your motherboard, by inputting the details into your favourite search engine this should enable you to find out everything you need to know. 5 A similar approach will also provide information about your modems and anything else on your machine. Regards paws

How do I come to know if I don't have any graphics card?

Look at the back panel of the computer. If you see a monitor connector in the same small connection area with your mouse and keyboard, you have on-board (integrated in the motherboard) graphics. If you have a monitor connection in one of the expansion "slots" then you have a card.

you can then use your favourite search engine to find out the details including if it is integrated into the motherboard or a separate video card.

@ Paws - can you please let me know what i need to input in my search engine to get the details if it is integrated or not. Are you referring to details under video/motherboard heading?
As I said above,

If there are no monitor connections, you will need to buy a card.

Many entry and business class motherboards come with integrated graphics - which work perfectly fine for most office type applications including word processing, email, and surfing the net. More advanced motherboards do not have integrated graphics and so the computer MUST then have an added graphics card if a monitor is to be hooked up to it.

So I say again, look on the back of the computer and see what is there. Look at your monitor cable and see if you can find a connector on the back of the computer that it will mate to.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI