This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Notifier removal

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm having a problem with this computer that I think is being caused by the Microsoft Office Genuine Advantage notifier, but I can't find it. In addition, my HiJack This log showes the Google notifiers and I want them gone too but since I am not proficient in reading the log, I don't want to just remove something that may be vital to the operation of my system. The problem presents itself in a few different ways. The first thing that happens is that just after boot up in the morning, I get a notification that the firewall is not on, then it starts itself - but after everything else has loaded. The next thing that happens is that I get a notification that the Microsoft Office that was installed in my computer is not a genuine copy - I do not have the disc here, the person that installed the OS put the Office in also. Once I clear that notice, then the "wierd" things start to happen. The mouse pointer gets sucked like a magnet to the edge of the monitor and then disappears while all sorts of things flicker, and the desktop menu appears then gets frozen on the screen, the taskbar moves to the top, or side, and a host of other things. If I press escape, eventually I get the pointer back; in addition, if I do a ctrl alt delete the task manager comes up, but it takes a few minutes before it responds. Again, eventually I get things to stop, without shutting down, but it happens again at sporatic times. I have tried to locate the OGANotifier.cab to try to delete the OGANotifier.msi file, but I can't locate it even doing a search of just the .msi files. (don't assume I know what I am doing by that - it's just what I was told to do by the person that put the OS in). Can I post the Hijack this log here? Please tell me if it is okay to get rid of the Google notifiers that appear in that log. Thank you.
Hi, This may or maynot be a malware issue. From your description, it sounds as though the person who loaded your programs has loaded a non-genuine version of Office. You would need to contact that person to remove the version you have and install a genuine version if that is what you have paid for. We will not assist you on this forum, to bypass Microsoft's validation process. We do not support the use of non genuine versions of software. post the HJT log and I will look at what you are referring to with regards to the google toolbars.
I have tried to reply three different times, but each time it will not accept it. It tells me that my Hijack This is out of date and then loses my post. But my hijack this is the most recent version.
The MS Office that is in my computer is from original discs. I have them sitting right in front of me now. According to the guy that installed/upgraded our OS the version that is giving me the Genuine Advantage notice is the trial version that got activated with the OS install; the Office Professional program that we purchased was put in the storage cabinet, he said he thought I knew. Since I don't trust him any longer, I want to try to do this on my own. I uninstalled anything that had to do with MS Office 2007 and reinstalled the disc set. It is all registered and appears to be working fine. But it has not cleared up the problems I spoke of, other than the Genuine Advantage notice doesn't appear anymore. The problem with the "magnetic mouse" is still there as well as whatever is loading before the Windows firewall loads. Upon my initial start up, after my desktop appears, I get a notice that the firewall is not on, but by the time I go to the Windows Firewall settings, it turns itself on; so I know something is loading prior to that.
Since my first post, I have deleted Avast antivirus and installed AVG Antivirus. I have also downloaded AdAware, Spybot, Defraggler and Malware Bytes. I already had CCleaner and Hijack This. None of them has shown anything they all say nothing was found. I purchased a new mouse but haven't had a chance to install it yet. Following is my Hijack This log - if it allows me to post it. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 12:18:46 PM, on 3/15/2010
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgchsvx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgrsx.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgcsrvx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgnsx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\VISION~2\ONETOU~2.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon03.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\VISION~1\PAPERP~1\PPWebCap.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchIndexer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPHipm09.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgcsrvx.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchProtocolHost.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R3 - URLSearchHook: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - {A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - {A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.5.4723.1820\swg.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O3 - Toolbar: AVG Security Toolbar - {CCC7A320-B3CA-4199-B1A6-9F516DD69829} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAX] "C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe" /tray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OneTouch Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\VISION~2\ONETOU~2.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon03] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon03.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG9_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PPWebCap] C:\PROGRA~1\VISION~1\PAPERP~1\PPWebCap.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] "C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ISUSPM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe" -scheduler
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://irth.digsafelynewyork.com
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat…b?1235257861125
O16 - DPF: {73ECB3AA-4717-450C-A2AB-D00DAD9EE203} - http://h20270.www2.hp.com/ediags/gmn2/inst…ctDetection.cab
O18 - Protocol: avgsecuritytoolbar - {F2DDE6B2-9684-4A55-86D4-E255E237B77C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgpp.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\avgrsstx.dll
O23 - Service: AVG Security Toolbar Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\ToolbarBroker.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Free WatchDog (avg9wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPHipm09.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio UPnP Renderer 9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Roxio\Digital Home 9\RoxioUPnPRenderer9.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio Upnp Server 9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Roxio\Digital Home 9\RoxioUpnpService9.exe
O23 - Service: LiveShare P2P Server 9 (RoxLiveShare9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxLiveShare9.exe
O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 9 (RoxWatch9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatch9.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe

–
End of file - 8463 bytes
Hi,

Please do the following:

  • Open HiJackThis
  • Click on Do a system scan only
  • Check the boxes next to ONLY the entries listed below (if still present):


O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.5.4723.1820\swg.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://irth.digsafelynewyork.com

  • Close all windows except Hijackthis and click Fix Checked
  • Click Yes when prompted
  • Close HijackThis.

I have removed the "smartmove" feature of your mouse, that might have been causing the issue.

There doesn't appear to be any other malware in that log, but I would need further diagnostic logs to tell for sure. Please do the following:


Please download DDS from either of these links

LINK 1
LINK 2

and save it to your desktop.
  • Disable any script blocking protection
  • Double click dds.pif to run the tool.
  • When done, two DDS.txt's will open.
  • Save both reports to your desktop.
—————————————————
Please include the contents of the following in your next reply:

DDS.txt
Attach.txt.


NEXT


[external image: Posted Image]
Download GMER Rootkit Scanner from here or here.
  • Extract the contents of the zipped file to desktop.
  • Double click GMER.exe. If asked to allow gmer.sys driver to load, please consent .
  • If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan…click on NO.

    [external image: Posted Image]
    Click the image to enlarge it
  • In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following …
    • Sections
    • IAT/EAT
    • Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
    • Show All (don't miss this one)
  • Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
  • Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
  • Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop, and post it in your next reply.

**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<— ROOKIT" entries
Hi,

There doesn't appear to be any malware on your system, but let's do an online scan to make sure nothing is hiding.

Please do the following:


Using Internet Explorer or Firefox, visit Kaspersky On-line Scanner

1. Click Accept, when prompted to download and install the program files and database of malware definitions.
2. To optimize scanning time and produce a more sensible report for review:
  • Close any open programs
  • Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan.
3. Click Run at the Security prompt.
The program will then begin downloading and installing and will also update the database.
Please be patient as this can take quite a long time to download.
  • Once the update is complete, click on My Computer under the green Scan bar to the left to start the scan.
  • Once the scan is complete, it will display if your system has been infected. It does not provide an option to clean/disinfect. We only require a report from it.
  • Do NOT be alarmed by what you see in the report. Many of the finds have likely been quarantined.
  • Click View scan report at the bottom.

    [external image: Posted Image]
  • Click the Save as Text button to save the file to your desktop so that you may post it in your next reply
It did take awhile between the updates and the scan itself, but absolutely nothing was found, so I'm not posting anything. The only thing that I couldn't do was turn off my antivirus (AVG) because I couldn't find where to turn it off! I searched late yesterday afternoon when you sent your reply and then again this morning before the scan. When I right click on the icon in the taskbar, there is no option to close; and there is no "exit" option or close option on the toolbar of the program itself under any of the tabs. I can't turn it off in my security settings either. There was a notice when I ran the Kaspersky that it may not run properly with the antivirus on and I don't know if that affected the scan. I can tell you that the 'magnetic mouse' only happened once today and it was in Outlook when it happened, and it was prior to the Kaspersky scan. I tried to force it to happen again just now but I couldn't get it to replicate, so maybe (somehow) that has gotten taken care of. The problem with the firewall not being on still occurs though. When the little balloon on the taskbar shows up that says [firewall is turned off, your computer might be at risk, click here to find out how to fix the problem] the security setting show up, but when you try to click on "firewall" a notice comes up that says there was a problem with the firewall and the settings can not be displayed. Then it says to go to Windows security from Control Panel and reset the settings. When I try that, it tells me that the Firewall settings can not be opened at this time. Then all of a sudden they turn on by themselves. When this happened this morning, I tried Ctrl/Alt/Del and went to the processes tab. There were two processes at the top of the list that disappeared as soon as the firewall came on but it was so quick that I couldn't see what they were. Should I be running AVG or Spybot in Safe Mode? Is there some scan that I can do as soon as the desktop appears but before everything completes?
Hi,

I don't believe this is malware related at all.

I think you need to start a new topic in the windows forum and see if the expert techs can assist with your settings:

Delete the DDS and GMER folders and logs from your desktop:

Set a new restore point:


System Restore makes regular backups of all your settings, if you ever had to use this program to restore your system to a previous date, you will be infected all over again so we need to clean out the previous Restore Points
We need to set a new system restore point:

Click Start > Run > copy and paste the following into the run box:


%SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe


Press OK. Choose Create a Restore Point then click Next.
Name it (something you'll remember) and click Create,
when the confirmation screen shows the restore point has been created click Close.

Now remove all previous Restore Points:

Click Start > Run > copy and paste the following into the run box:


cleanmgr


At the top, click on More Options tab. Click the Clean up button in the System Restore box.
Click on the Yes button.
When finished, click on Cancel button to exit.


link back to this topic so the techs can see you are clean of malware:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI