This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Driver Help! Installed LG GH22NP20 DVD Writer

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I bought LG GH22NP20 and 20" Round IDE

Upon installing. I hooked everything up exactly like the old ones were. I got the same errors and not recognized. I followed this…How to check DMA Still the same thing. Attached pics.

Then I switched the LG and the cd slots and made the new LG Master. I think I have everything hooked up right. I can get a picture and post it if needed.

If I reset up the two old drives. It recognizes them. I tried to install the CD that came with the LG like that. Nope gotta have the unit installed. I install it and the disc runs but nothing shows.

Please help. I really need this burner to work. :pullhair: Thank you for any help you can give. :thumbup:
Basics: Have you physically re-connected the molex power supply connectors to the Optical (CD/DVD) units? How about in your BIOS/CMOS - are these units being recognized? Since your old units are working properly, the new "round" IDE connector is apparently OK. Your screenshots seem to be indicating that neither Secondary Channel drive 0 nor drive 1 are being recognized. Check in BIOS/CMOS
Hi Doug, Thank you for replying. At the moment I was about to take a sledge hammer to this old dinosaur. A friend of mine suggested that maybe hooking both up at the same time was causing a conflict. So I disconnected the second drive because I set this new one as master. It went thru without a hitch. I will try it out this evening burning a DVD. (Homemade with DVD Photo Slideshow). Now my next thought is I am going to try and hook the second one up. I hope I don't get in trouble and mess everything up again. :rofl:
Since it is IDE, you will have to set the jumpers of the old optical drive to Cable Select or Slave. (presuming that you have the new one connected at the far end of the "round" IDE flat ribbon (master postition) Yes, your whole problem "could" have been that both optical drives were jumpered as Master, when actually you can only have one Master on an IDE channel.
At the back of your Optical Drive (DC/DVD unit) in the same area as where you plug in the IDE ribbon cable and the molex power connecter, there are other sockets and pins.

The set of Pins that you are looking for contains 6 pins in two rows of 3 each (2 x 3 = 6)
The Pins appear like this –> :::

For most units the jumper-setting connects one pin from the top row and one from the bottom row
Set #1 on the left end is (usually) for Master
Set #2 in the middle is (usually) for Slave
Set #3 on the right end is (usually) for CSSEL (Cable Select)

Your new CD/DVD Burner is probably already set to Master, but may be set to Cable Select
Your old CD unit should be set to either Slave or CableSelect

Ordinarily drives on a channel must be set as Master and Slave
or
Set both as CSSEL (CableSelect)

It usually doesn't work to have one set as Master and the other as CSSEL (CableSelect)

I took pictures
The first one shows where the jumper pins are on the back of your Optical Drive
[external image: Posted Image]

The second one shows an assortment of "jumpers" (there is only ever one jumper per unit)
[external image: Posted Image]

Most often they are black, but may be white, gray, blue, etc.
That is a US dime to show the size comparison.
Jumpers are tiny and you may need to use tweezers to manipulate it to the correct position left - middle - or right

The jumper in the above pic is set in the "middle" as slave
(that jumper was black so I put a dab of typing white-out on it so that it would show in the pic.

Sorry about the pic quality, but I think they will serve your purposes.
Here's a better picture.

Most Optical Drives will have the Master - Slave - CableSelect positions illustrated for you in a diagram pasted to the top of the case

[external image: Posted Image]
Thank you Doug. I tried the set number 1. The LG came with it to the far right. It works like that. So CSSEL. I'll try setting the Samsung to the slave in the am again. The new one. The LG came with the Little black jumper. The old unit has a white one. Looks like the 3rd one.
Color doesn't matter. If your "new one" is set to CableSelect, then set the other one to CableSelect also. The actual determining factor is the motherboard and CMOS. Older machine motherboards tended to use Master/Slave. Most newer machine motherboards use CableSelect/CableSelect Try either combo. One will work.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI