This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Driver Help

20 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

The 1st question has to be does the system see the new drives ? Do they show up under your "My Computer" ? If it doesn't check in the device manager for any errors, they will stand out from the other entries, if it does then launch Roxio and go into the options\settings, I don't know the software, but what your looking for is any direction to the drive, it may be remembering the old drive, and therefore needs to be told to use the new drive, hopefully one of these will show something.
Thank you for replying. I see them in Device manager and in Nero it shows them but they won't play on it either. Or if I can delete these two (Nero 6 and Roxio) for an easy to use, CD/DVD creator that I can also copy a disc with would be appreciated. :thumbup: I'm trying to do 2 things. Copy a CD I got from my moms funeral and Create cd's for my family with music. Free or nice and cheap is preferable. :whistling:
Right the system does appear to have accepted the drives, they show with no error in the device manager, although it does show you need 2 items sorted out, but thats another issue to worry about in a bit if you want.
Now assuming that is the only settings\options you have available, it doesn't offer much, you didn't say if the drives showed under your My Computer ?

Sometimes other software can interfere with a burning programs ability to see the optical drives, SlySoft AnyDVD is the main one I know can do this, there may be others, is there a chance this is happening here ?
Do you have the install files and keys\activations for these programs ?
If you do it may be worth uninstalling one or even both and reinstall again, see if it registers the drive(s) after doing that, I suggest uninstalling with |Revo so it removes ALL remnants, therefore minimises risk of it remembering previous settings when put back,so make sure you select all and delete as you go through, it should be obvious when you see what I mean, see if that helps.

Should you wish to try another burning app then ImgBurn is highly rated, although using it can be very scary and confusing, but they offer help\guides on how to burn various files, you will soon get the hang of it, just a case of getting used to it, hope something here helps.
Hi, When using Revo. Which one should I select when unistalling? It gives ..I thinkโ€ฆ4 options on the strength of the uninstall? Whats the problem seen? You have my undivided attention ;) I have a full version od Nero 6 and the Roxio looks like when I reinstalled windows a long time back has lost the key code.
Hi, always accept the default\recommended setting with Revo, so unless it's been touched just hit next, it should already be on the recommended setting, I would never use any other setting unless instructed to do so, possibly required in removing some infections maybe, not sure, but use the standard preset option and it works just fine. The first thing it does is launch the applications uninstaller, follow that through, if it asks about rebooting say No, that will close then Revo will let you next through the next few screens, each screen it finds results (usually 2 screens but not always) hit the select all button, then delete, next it through and repeat if need be, and your done, it may require a reboot to clear the last of the files, even if not wont hurt to do this anyway, run junk file cleaners such as CCleaner and see if the remaining program can do anything more than before, if it can then the programs were fighting each other, so have a play, removal of ANY program works the same way as described here, so have a play and see if it helps, but save registration info before you start or you wont be able to reinstall it to a full version again. *edit Forgot your last bit of the reply lol, anyway looks like you need to install the LAN driver, unless you have it disabled maybe ? no biggie but I like everything working personally, the other issue is a USB one, as such USB drivers are taken care of by the operating system, so there are no drivers to install as such, best advice I can offer for the USB issue is to right click on it and select uninstall, allow a reboot and let the found new hardware wizard automatically take care of it, hopefully that will sort that
ok, Revo'ed both. Ran CCleaner and Glary Utilities. I noticed something. I try to play a video file from my cell phone that played before and there is no sound. Also there is not sound from any CD/DVD I put in the drive. Thankx again for all the help. as a CD/DVD burner utility you suggest ImgBurn?
Ok, did the revo on both Nero and Roxio. Then ran CCleaner and Glary Utilities.

:unsure: what is the LAN driver and how do I find it to check if it's enabled?
A problem I have encountered. I put in a CD/DVD and it plays but there is no sound. I can get sound from web sites tho.

You suggest ImgBurn? Is it easy to use?
PC Pitstop
Heres a Hijack This and a PC Pitstop Scan.

๐Ÿ“ŽHJT_for_Starwalker_02_16_2010.txt
No need for a hijack scan here, I'll get one of the guys to tidy that up for you, if you feel the need for such a scan then the guys in the infections section are the ones to view such a log, but unless you suspect something is going on it isn't required, but the Pit scan shows numerous issues that need sorting, and shows your system must be struggling to do most things the way it is, so lets see what we can do.

The major thing you need to do is free some disk space, this is the major cause of a sluggish system, so uninstall programs no longer required, and delete\store files to be kept on alternate media, consider a new drive perhaps, next is system restore, xp takes 12% by default (vista takes 15%), so click on Start - Control Panel - System, click the system restore tab and move it down to around 2%, this will free up space.

LAN = Ethernet, going by your screenshot you have an CNet PRO200WL card, the following is the driver for this assuming your running xp, install this and that should resolve that item.
http://download.cnet.com/CNet-PRO200WL-PCIโ€ฆ12_4-20682.html

ImgBurn is a free and good tool, BUT, at first look your head may spin, but they have very good tutorials linked in the help section that walk you through how to do various actions with this tool, once you burn a couple of disks you should pick it up quite quickly, but as with all new tools theres a learning curve until you get used to it.

No sound is a curious one, are these drives brand new or 2nd hand ?
Just wondering if the heads may be dirty, and if they are new I can't understand why you would buy anything that low tech when DVD burners are so cheap now, have you tried watching the files in a different media player ?
I see you have the mega codec pack installed, but personally I prefer VLC, which I see you have, but it needs updating there is a much newer version now, v1.0.5 IIRC, very lightweight and can play almost anything you throw at it, the video from your phone may require a specific player, not sure what phone you haver or what format it uses so can only generalise there.

I see you have a few Toolbars, pretty sure most came when you installed other software and you didn't watch out for the check box options nearly always present, you need to look out for these and uncheck elements you do NOT want, so IMO the Ask, Skype, Freecorder, Ask & Record Toolbar, eBay Toolbar Featuring Yahoo! and Yahoo Toolbars can go, unless you have need of them, use Revo as before.

I see you also have the old windows messenger installed, I'd get rid of that, go to your Add\Remove programs and click on the installed components on the left, this will open a new window, scroll to the bottom and uncheck windows messenger, also uncheck msn explorer if you see it checked, again unless you use it, next go into the admin tools in the control panel, and launch the Services option, it's listed alphabetically so scroll down to Messenger and double click on it, then click Stop (if required) then from the drop down box select Disable, then apply\exit your way out.

Have a go at all this and see how things go, but so you know if you click on each of your results in the Pit scan it will offer recommendations on what to do, but get this done to begin and lets see if things start improving, they should when your done.
Hi, Thank you. I posted the HJT because I know there's at least some bunk I could get rid of. I'm not having much problems or any at all other than space, sound and these drivers.

The drivers are from my sons PC that windows needs reinstalled. Parts PC. The drivers worked but your right they probably need cleaned.

The sound isn't playing from my cell either. Video's I took used to play before. The ones I loaded into my PC a while back that did play and the new ones. Neither plays anymore. It also doesn't play the sound from the CD/DVD from moms funeral. It does hang on my PC but doesn't on my daughters. The only sound that plays in from the web. I have tried different players.

http://download.cnet.com/CNet-PRO200WL-PCIโ€ฆ12_4-20682.html It goes to a second page. idk which one to pick. :wacko: Then a third page..What letter? Scratch that. I downloaded the last in the list. It's a zip I put on my desktop. I'm sorry to sound like an idiot. (My village is calling) :woot: Can you please tell me where to put all this stuff in the folder?


I can't get new drives because atm we are unemployed. :smack: I am trying to use what I already have until I can get new ones. :thumbup:

A link to replacements would be great. :thumbup: I've been looking at external hard drives but the task is daunting. Which one? They all look the same other than the outside. The best one for the price? I was looking at โ€ฆTiger Direct Same goes for the new drives I need? I am looking at buying a new PC for me but this one will still be in use so the upgrades are good.

Be back in a few after I do the other things you said to do. Uninstalling and running the cleaners again. :thumbup:

I ran this too.
system info

idk I really wanted to figure this out. I have no idea what is wrong with it. My dad is in the Veterans Nursing Home for Physical Therapy. I wanted to make him a picture cd with music so he could play it on the days we can't go visit. Some days I get home too late. Kind of like updates pics to show him and keep him up to date with home life.
woohoo, I copied a non sound cd with the burner program. :thumbup: I still need to work on this sound issue. I have checked and rechecked everything I found sound related. I see no problems reported or showing. The sound won't play on 3g2. I have no idea what the man used to make moms CD. So LAN maybe it. I also need to know where to put the downloaded driver contents. Thank you for all your help. Maybe this will work. :D
Sorry for a slow reply, running in slow mo currently, the whole house has come down with a stomach bug, and with my health it hits me like a pile driver, anyway you appear to have the wrong driver there, but no wonder you had trouble choosing, but as with all things it's about studying the small print, so delete that file you have, then go to my link (your took me to page not found), when you see the mass of files note they are in boxes, you want the 3rd box down called Fast Ethernet Network Card, next you want the 2nd file down called PRO200WL Wake-on-LAN PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter, my hope is this link will do it, but if not following this instruction you should get the correct file.

This of course throws up even more issues, given what you found I went through to download the file to see what you would face next, and what a surprise there is even more confusion thrown in for good measure (Dell's site are no better), now the following link appears to be the file you need, BUT, you will need to read the label on the card, the page shows you what to look for, so hopefully once you identify this last bit of the puzzle you will finally get the driver, see how you go, but I've never seen such a hard time doing this before.
http://www.cnet.com.tw/download/pro200wl.htm

Now if we aren't confused enough your last scan shows yet another LAN, it may be possible this is the real card identity and they have just re-badged it, so if your up for a gamble (assuming this other one doesn't work), then we can try the driver for a Realtek RTL8139, this has again created many issues, I found it very hard to navigate to a download, maybe my settings are getting in the way, but eventually I was able to download the files using Chrome, in ie8 I was just redirected to audio drivers, so if this happens to you use another browser.
The link is as follows, you need the top entry, to the right of the entry they offer 3 downloads, they are exactly the same download, they simply offer different servers as they are notorious for slow speed in my experience, and one may be faster than another.

The audio is curious, lets see if reinstalling\updating the driver takes care of that, go Here to Dell and expand the Audio section, if the link doesn't work navigate to your system under the drivers heading, they have 3 links for Creative Sound Blaster, start with the 1st one (going down the list), then once that one is done move onto the next, the hope is the driver, and subsequent patches will get your audio back on track.

Now drives, you will get a sweeter result if you buy separates, WD is definitely the brand I would go for, I've certainly found it to be the most reliable one in my time, I have nothing against the unit you have selected, but if you can stretch that bit further you will get more for your money, I would suggest the Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black Hard Drive 1TB, last time I got an X Craft 360, but can't find them on Tiger, so something like the Vantec NST-300SU-BK NS CX Hard Drive Enclosure - 3.5" SATA to USB, eSATA.

The spec is not clear on the one you chose, but my guess is it will have half the cache at best of the one I suggest, and it is USB only, the dock I suggest has eSATA, this means transfer speeds will be much better, although you may not have eSATA on your current system, it will stand you in good stead for you next system, and it you felt brave that unit also comes with an eSATA port (as best I can see) for putting into your system now, assuming you have an available set of header pins, then you can benefit from the faster transfer speeds from the start, so for not much more than you had found, you can achieve a superior result, hope that helps.
I'll get this done after I get the outside chores done and I'm in for the evening. :D I know about the flu's going around. My daughter is a bit under the weather with a sore throat. I know it will get worse but I have antibiotics on stand by. I want to see if it will just pass on it's own. :thumbup: I hope you all get to feeling better soon. Sending good wishes and prayers your way. :friends:
I'll get this done after I get the outside chores done and I'm in for the evening. :D I know about the flu's going around. My daughter is a bit under the weather with a sore throat. I know it will get worse but I have antibiotics on stand by. I want to see if it will just pass on it's own. :thumbup: I hope you all get to feeling better soon. Sending good wishes and prayers your way. :friends: Ok working on it now. Just a question before I tear into my box and take out the card to see what letter is on it. Wouldn't the last one do it? It has all 4 letters and looks like the newest. Apr 25-2005

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI