This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Anti-Virus Download Issues

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am on a business trip and my lap-top would not open or update AVG. I removed it but now cannot download the free version. No matter what site I go to, I get a "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" and it will not open or load. It does the same thing with Norton and Microsofts websites too. I can access other sites (Hyperscale, Armorama. Yahoo etc.) but not anything that has anything to do with virus removal. Any help would be nice, thanks! Chief
You should probably read and follow these directions first :
> http://forums.whatthetech.com/you_Infected_t106388.html

… Briefly though, it is a common symptom (not always) that malware of some kind has disabled your ability to get where you want to go:
- http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=5914
Last Updated: 2009-02-23 18:10:08 UTC - "Malware which comes with its own "hosts" file to install in \system32\drivers\etc\hosts is pretty common. Usually, these changes are made with the intention to keep the infected system from updating its virus pattern files and OS patches - eg. by adding an entry that makes "update.microsoft.com" resolve to 127.0.0.1 (localhost), and hence prevents the updater from connecting. A malware sample that we analyzed earlier -today- pulled a hosts file from txtkxwiicom/ad.jpg. The file contains 200 or so domains that are reconfigured to point to 127.0.0.1 …"

.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI