This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Error on startup

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi For some time now I've been getting this message on startup: "The procedure entry point GetSystemWow64DirectoryA could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll." I've tried to fix it myself but failed so I'm looking for someone smarter than me. A little searching led me to believe it was an incompatibility issue with Shockwave and my OS (Win 2k). I didn't see Shockwave in the add/remove programs list so I downloaded the uninstaller (sw_uninstaller.exe) and ran that. Upon completion I rebooted only to find the error message still there. I'm now hoping someone here may have a suggestion. I'm not ready to use the hair pulling emoticon yet. Thanks for looking, Ignatz
Yes I did see that one and many others too. I didn't get much from it though as it didn't point out any specific fix or identify a specific app unless "Adobe Flash Player 10 Helper utility" is the actual name. I don't know. Other threads pointed to Shockwave and offered instructions so that's why I followed that train of thought. If the offender is indeed Flash player helper utility, I have two possible suspects in add/remove programs; Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX & Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin. Could either of those be the helper utility by another name? I confess this is a bit confusing to me and wish I understood these gizmos better. It does occur to me that I could try uninstalling both of the Flash thingies I already have but that would leave me Flashless (did I just invent a new word?). At this point Flash works fine for me and the error message is just an annoyance but I'd like to fix it if I could and still be Flash capable.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI