This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

transfer drive

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'd like to back up my laptop system to my external hard drive. I have an imaging program. First I would create a folder in the external drive called 'Lap' while at the desktop. Safely remove the external drive's usb cable from the desktop on they fly, and plug the cable in the laptop again on the fly. Use the disc to back up the laptop to the external drive + if necessary, set the boot order to boot from cd. If trouble, I could cover but I am not sure as an image or as a backup. Please correct any errors and thank you.
Hi Peter1 I don't understand the need to create a folder on your external via using your Desktop. Why not create it from the Laptop? And depending upon the imaging software you intend to use, it may have very specific folder and file name options that you will need to follow specifically. In fact, the on-screen instructions may assist you in making the folder and selecting useful file naming. Again, depending upon your imaging software of choice, you will select to create a "full disk image" or to "back-up specific folders and files". That's your preference, but because it can be so important and useful as a recovery from catastrophic failure, I would urge you to create the Recovery CD (or whatever your software calls it) plus create a full iso image that would be capable of restoring "everything" in the event of major problems. If you also wish to accomplish specific document and media file back-up, that can be useful too.
Hello Doug I woke up wondering the same about the creation of the folder on the desktop. :-) All this imaging etc is new to me that last few days so i am stumbling along at times. The desktop is fine. I need to ask you what you mean by the iso image as I Googled it and found it meant a cloned file. I created the emergency disc they advise and other than inserting it and booting up I don't know else to do with it other than making two of them? So iso = ? Well, I'll do as my previous post suggested and follow prompts regarding creation of folders.I think I was afraid the back up would look like the desktop back up and I would not be able to discern one from the other. My program seems to identify back ups by default dates with their own generic look alike. I tell desktops apart by dates but we will see if the laptop backups appear differently. Thank you for the criticisms and keep 'em coming. Thank you
Hi again Peter1, It may ease the discussion if you state which imaging software you are using. For instance, I use Acronis True Image 9 on a couple of machines and Acronis TI 10 on a couple others. There are similar paid and free applications such as Norton Ghost, Paragon Drive Backup, Macrium Reflect and others. Which one do you use? Yes, it is important to create the recommended "emergency disk" but there is more… It is "bootable" in a similar way that a Microsoft XP/Vista/win7 installation disk is bootable, but a little different. The "emergency disk" will allow the user to boot the machine for the purpose of restoring the imaged operating system, configurations, applications, and documents, just like the user had his machine set up for ordinary work at the time the iso image was recorded. Most imaging tools also allow for a recovery option to be placed directly onto the working Hard Drive. The "emergency disk" needs a "full image" backup of the Hard Drive, from which it can restore the system. That "full image" is the .iso, which should be saved to an external hard drive or a second hard drive installed in the machine. Not just a backup of documents and media,… a full image of the C:\partition and the MBR (master boot record) The onscreen options of your software should offer the above options to you. It may take a little hunting around to recognize what you're looking for, but most are laid out fairly intuitively. If you have trouble or additional questions, get back to us with the brand-name of your imaging tool. We can then give you more specific recommendations
Hi Doug There has been a lot of confusion over the model, build of some Acronis products. On the box it says: “Acronis True Image Home 2001" 'PC Backup + Recovery' I tried the rescue disc and it brings up the program fine, just as though I had clicked on it on my pc. The options appear to be the same and I think it was created successfully. Thanx for the .iso. I am doing much better now as 2 days of sceduled bakups have been validated and are in green. I hope I am not corss posting but I asked a question about my laptop and I forgot where. I want to back it up also and i don't know what my best option is. Another license from Acronis(do you know how to do this, the cost and duration? I have an old ghost 9 disc laying around but it may be hard/incompatible to use being so old. Thank you
Hi again, Peter1

Newer versions of Acronis and Norton Ghost have been responsive to customer feedback, developing better "ease of use" while also becoming increasingly reliable. (you may wish to consider updating even though it will cost the purchase price)

One consideration related to Drive Imaging software iso backups is that when you "need" them, you REALLY need them to work perfectly.
There was a time when internet forums occasionally dealt with members posting about attempting to restore a drive image, only to find that it would not restore…. even from "validated" images. In that condition, users were stuck with having to reinstall their operating system, update, and rebuild their preferred configurations manually. (and hope that they had their documents saved elsewhere)

You may find that you are happy with Ghost 9, which was contemporary with Acronis True Image 7, and both widely used.
(as to an Acronis utility labeled 2001… I just don't know) History tells me that the Acronis company was first founded in 2001, so you may be dealing with a very rudimentary version.

Acronis True Image Home 2010 is licensed per machine, for about 50 bucks.
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/
________________-

My own practice is ultra conservative regarding the use of iso backups.
I purchase a spare Hard Drive for each of my machine's bootable partitions (C:\ )
When I create a backup, I take the extra 25 minutes to pop in the fresh Hard Drive and allow Acronis to demonstrate to me that it can really do, what it says it can do….. create a perfect restoration.
Many would say that this is "overkill", but "validation" is something that the user is asked to "believe in", whereas a practice restoration is something that the user can see, feel and work with, proving it for themselves.

In my own universe I have a Son away to college who had always relied upon me to "fix stuff".
Now that he is mostly away, he has that "extra" hard drive with a restoration already set.
He can pop it into his machine and be back up and working within minutes, leaving any "repair" for the weekend when he comes to visit dear ole Dad.

Similarly, my direct associates have several computers that they expect me to "fix", always on an "urgent" basis.
After a dozen or so such "urgent" requests, I finally put my foot down, requiring disk imaging to be put into place.
They are now secure and can resume their work even when problems occur, allowing time for repair on a less "urgent" basis.

With prices of Hard Drives having become within easier reach for most of us, I highly recommend putting such a plan into action.
Hi Doug First, Are you suggesting that I do an actual recovery, but with a spare external drive? I was wondering what would happen me I to try to recover and it failed. My mind dropped the thought of trying b/c I could not think of a way to do it. I broke the piggy bank for this one external drive so a test is not an option now?
Your actual practice, is a matter of your own choice.


First, Are you suggesting that I do an actual recovery, but with a spare external drive?

No… With a spare "internal Hard Drive"

Yes, I do recommend that users of imaging software actually conduct a "practice recovery" in order to prove the process and assure that they are actually protected in the event of catastrophic loss.

It is an incredibly reassuring experience to see a restored machine boot up properly.
On the other hand, if you wait until you "need it" and a validated restore .iso fails, the opposite feeling experience may clobber you.

Piggy-banks and personal preference may divert some from considering this recommendation. Again, choice is up to you.

Hard Drives are now "relatively" less expensive and great purchase deals are periodically available online.

Keep in mind that you don't have to buy a "huge" Hard Drive to perform a "practice recovery", only a similar (ata, sata) which has a "big enough" capacity.

For instance,

Let's suppose your machine has a 320gb Hard Drive installed as the main channel bootable drive C:\

Now have a look at how much space has actually been used on that Hard Drive.
If, for instance, only 50gb or 60gb is currently being used… all you need for a practice recovery is a Hard Drive large enough to hold the amount of used space. (in this example an 80gb Hard drive would be more than enough.

Look for a "deal" online, or even scrounge around amongst any spares you may already have or could borrow from a friend.

Off-topic comment…
This discussion brings up the value of using partitions on your Hard Drive
one partition for operating system and main applications
another for saving/storing documents and media

Documents and media should be backed-up on external media CD/DVD or external HD
Then main partition (C:\ ) can be more easily imaged for restoration as needed.
I do need to get into partitioning once the back up / recovery issue is done. I have a laptop which I guess I coud use b/c it and this are almost clones. 80Gb hard drives, both about 8-10 years old. What ever went into it would be about the same as what I have on the desktop. We use it if one is tying up the other. I guess I would (safely disconnect the usb for the desk, plug it into the lap and click on disk> recover. If that is not a good idea I would find and old pc with a hard drive to do the same with and see what appears on the old pc. I gues the old pc should only be operable as I have the rescue disc to use to bring up the Acronis screen, or would it bring up an image of mine?
No. You should not restore an image over-top of an existing well-functioning system. That's why I suggest a spare Hard Drive. Also, do not attempt to restore an image onto a machine other than the one that it was originally taken from.

No.

You should not restore an image over-top of an existing well-functioning system.
That's why I suggest a spare Hard Drive.

Also, do not attempt to restore an image onto a machine other than the one that it was originally taken from.



>>I then should put the spare hard drive in my computer that is backed up and see how recovery unfolds.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI