Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Computer Crash

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 donm41

donm41

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 08:33 AM

I run windows xp and every time I try to turn off my computer my computer blue screens just before the "it is safe to turn off your computer now" message appears. What can I do to fix this problem.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 24 June 2004 - 11:13 AM

hmm... so it does not turn off at all..? or is it the blue screen your worried about? Also have you overclocked your computer?

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"

#3 donm41

donm41

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 01:15 PM

No i haven't overclocked the computer. and no it does not turn off at all. it just blue screens and dumps the memory. I can manually turn the computer off with the power switch after the dump. i just replaced my motherboard after my other one failed, i was having the same problems before it died.

#4 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 24 June 2004 - 03:50 PM

well.. what you need to do then is reset the BIOS settings. There, in BIOS, will be a place to do that. Just set it to "yes" to reset them on the next boot (it defualts to no so after you reboot you dont have to chage it back) BUT if your not familiar with BIOS.. then I suggest you have someone who is do it for you. When you reboot you will need to go back in BIOS and make sure everything is set right so please be careful if you do this,.

#5 mitchshrader

mitchshrader

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 02:36 PM

there are a few settings in bios that might be relevant. most likely 'stop on any error' is enabled. it should be 'stop on NO error' .. now as to what the error IS. good question. one presumes you have all drivers updated to latest, and bios flashed to latest (all from manufacturers) .. if not, do that. one also presumes you have all fixes (critical updates and windows updates) from microsoft, (if not, do that, EXCEPT for the few optional updates that may not apply to your hardware or interests) back to bios, check memory voltage, (it may need raising .1 v to be stable, get advice on that one, ditto memory timings, may need loosening one notch similarly) best if you run ram & processor 'synched' (at same timing Front Side Bus) generally, may be an issue. heat may be an issue, check it, as it affects stability. quantity of hardware versus strength of power supply may be an issue, confirm enough power. NONE of these is likely to be an instant fix, they're general troubleshooting tips when diagnosing errors of unknown cause. it MAY be an installed buggy program. not likely, but possible. good thing to do is run belarc advisor, (www.belarc.com) and get a list of everything (hardware/software) and print it out. or at least, save it as an emailable text file. can save tech effort. When you lack experience, Do Not attempt procedures you aren't very certain you can accomplish. GET HELP. its a lot easier than fixing a 2nd (self created) problem. In general, though, you can find useful info on all procedures by googling for em.. G'luck

#6 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 06:17 AM

It sounds more to me like user's got the power switch plugged into the wrong position or theres a ground loop.
Although to add to mitch's reply, did you replace the board with one similar? Does the new board have an ATX plug on it (4-pin square Molex connector with 2 wires usually yellow and 2 black) and if so is it pluged in securely..?
What I would do first and foremost is eliminate the possibility of spyware/malware..etc. Download HiJack This here to your "Program files" folder. Scan BUT DONT FIX ANYTHING YET. Save the scan to a log (theres a button that says "save log") then copy and paste the results here for us to look at. I dont think thats going to be the problem (malware/spyware that is) but lets make sure first. It is possible that it is a malware and not a configuration problem.

Edited by Crow, 26 June 2004 - 06:18 AM.

#7 donm41

donm41

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 03:55 PM

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 4:58:01 AM, on 1/4/2002
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\USRmlnkA.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Logitech\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\starter.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\ShareDLL\CtNotify.exe
C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SBCSEL~1\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\USRshutA.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\USRmlnkA.exe
C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\SBC\IPClient.exe
C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\SBC\IPMon32.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ycommon.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\ShareDLL\MediaDet.Exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\SBC Self Support Tool\bin\mpbtn.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTSvcCDA.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\gearsec.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\GHOSTS~2.EXE
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ybrowser.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\don\My Documents\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\System32\Userinit.exe
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ycomp5_1_6_0.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {43DF16FD-D9ED-4c9e-B14A-F3236A12C649} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\windows\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ycomp5_1_6_0.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [USRpdA] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\USRmlnkA.exe RunServices \Device\3cpipe-USRpdA
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\System32\\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EM_EXEC] C:\PROGRA~1\Logitech\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EnsoniqMixer] C:\WINDOWS\system32\starter.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Disc Detector] C:\Program Files\Creative\ShareDLL\CtNotify.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BJCFD] C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Motive SmartBridge] C:\PROGRA~1\SBCSEL~1\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QD FastAndSafe] C:\PROGRA~1\Logitech\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [YBrowser] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightLAN 02] "C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\SBC\IPClient.exe" -l
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightMonitor 02] "C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\SBC\IPMon32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: SBC Self Support Tool.lnk = C:\Program Files\SBC Self Support Tool\bin\matcli.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Login (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Login (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger (HKLM)
O12 - Plugin for .bcf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPBelv32.dll
O12 - Plugin for .do: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - http://download.macr...director/sw.cab
O16 - DPF: {2B4F4FA8-814A-11D7-B31B-0002A500B281} (FASetupStart Control) - http://a2.ff.fullaud....0.55/setup.cab
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.syma...bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.r...ip/RdxIE601.cab
O16 - DPF: {70BA88C8-DAE8-4CE9-92BB-979C4A75F53B} (GSDACtl Class) - http://launch.gamesp...nch/alaunch.cab
O16 - DPF: {9CF28A69-7659-4C51-BFD5-9ADE19E19EC3} (RegConfig Class) - http://download.yaho...rod/yregcfg.cab
O16 - DPF: {B942A249-D1E7-4C11-98AE-FCB76B08747F} (RealArcadeRdxIE Class) - http://games-dl.real...ArcadeRdxIE.cab
O16 - DPF: {C2FCEF52-ACE9-11D3-BEBD-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec RuFSI Registry Information Class) - http://security.syma...n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {D18F962A-3722-4B59-B08D-28BB9EB2281E} (PhotosCtrl Class) - http://photos.yahoo....plorer1_9us.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macr...ash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {F54C1137-5E34-4B95-95A5-BA56D4D8D743} (Secure Delivery) - http://www.gamespot....ownload/kdx.cab

I also flashed the bios with an upgraded version
I bumped the power up .1v
I have all of the updates installed
The type of motherboard is a soyo k7vta-pro
my former motherboard was an asus a7v it died comlpletely
the processsor temp is 29 deg c
board temp is 24 deg c
power temp is 63 deg c
have bios set to stop on no error
i do not have a whole lot of peripherals attached other than monitor, mouse and keyboard
and above is the hijack this log