This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Computer shuts down as soon as it boots up

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a Panasonic cf-28 toughbook laptop computer with XP pro. I had a virus on it and went to "eset" online antivirus and removed the virus. After I shut down the computer and went to resart at a later date the computer shows windows starting up and then it shows windows closing. I only have a floppy disc on the machine and I don't know where to start from here. I would appreciate any help that you could give me. Thanks for all you do, Spidey
Can you be more specific? Are you attempting to login, and then you are immediately logged off? Or, are you booting windows and then it tells you windows is shutting down and the computer turns off?
There isn't a password login, it is when windows is opening it all of a sudden says windows is closing. the windows program doesn't open completely when it starts shutting down. I was able to start it in safe mode but I'm not able to restore as it says it is turned off. It also popped up that it has a netsky32 virus. Thanks for the assistance, Spidey
Try booting to Safe Mode again then schedule a chkdsk to run on the next boot as follows:

Click on Start then Run, type chkdsk /r and press Enter or click OK.
You will be prompted to allow the chkdsk to run the next time you reboot, respond y or yes.

Reboot and chkdsk will run. Allow it to complete undisturbed, see if that helps.
If that last doesn't help, it's quite likely you may have additional malware on your computer.

I would suggest you go to the Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal forum, read the info there and follow the posted directions.

Please be patient as that is a very busy area. If you do not receive a response in 3 days, post a message here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/What_Do_If_Y…ays_t78698.html

Post back here once you've received a clean bill of health if you still have problems.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI