This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Memtest 86+

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My computer has problems starting and when it does finally boot up it crashes frequently. One of the errors I got in the past suggested problems with the memory so I downloaded and ran MEMTEST 86+. It showed errors. I had two 500MB memory modules and swapped them into different slots etc. Finally the machine seemed to work with one of them in the 3rd (of 4) slots. I thought the other module was bad. I took the opportunity to upgrade the memory and bought two 1GB modules. However (while waiting for the new memory to be delivered), I started having problems with the one 500MB module and when the new memory did arrive they also had problems. I have cleaned the memory slots with a brush and alcohol and even took the heat sink off the chipset chip to insure the heat sink compound was OK. I figure the chipset chip is what controls what goes into and out of the memory modules (I may be wrong). Having said all that, my questions are: Is the problem the mother board? Should I replace it or just get a new computer? I have a five year old system from Velocity micro running windows XP, the MB is a ASUS P5GD1-VM and the memory modules are not compatible with new MB's so if I get a new MB I will also have to get memory. Thanks for the help. Dan
Hi, Is this is the same machine that you posted about here:?
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Software_Har…559#entry630559
If it's the same machine then a diagnostic by your friendly neighbourhood computer technician should not cost much but get an estimate first….
Are you sure that the memory you bought for it is compatible…its always best to check it with the www.crucial.com site…….

A 5 year old machine can still provide good service, however things have moved along a lot in the last 5 years and maybe its worth checking out the sorts of deals that are available for a complete new tower unit….ready to go……with 12 month guarantee/warranty etc….and capable of running Windows 7……..
It's good fun keeping older machines going, but if you just need a computer as a tool to do a job then there's a lot going for a brand new shiny one
(especially a model that is still in stock, that has everything on it that you need, but which has been superceded by a later version) these are often sold off at "knock down" prices.

On the other hand if you regard your computer as a hobby as well as a tool, then maybe you will get satisfaction in replacing parts to "upgrade as far as possible….
its really your call
Regards
paws
Yes it is the machine that I asked about before. I asked if the problem could be software and was told that there should be NO errors when running MEMTEST 86+. So we basically decided it is a hardware problem. Cleaning the slot was recommended. etc. I bought low density memory so it should be compatible. And it runs. In fact it is running now as I am writing this on my desktop. Taking it in for a evaluation by a pro is good advice. In your opinion is the problem the MB? Could it be anything else? Thanks,
Hi,

and was told that there should be NO errors when running MEMTEST 86+

That is good advice…. there should be Zero errors….

I bought low density memory so it should be compatible

No this is not correct…..Ram has to be compatible and undamaged by ESD (static) there are many different types of RAM and these days its essential to get it 100% correct (you would get the symptoms you describe if the RAM was incorrect…
Go here for details:
www.crucial.com
they will tell you (normally) the exact tech spec of what you need, and price it for you…. there is no need to buy from them if you don't want to (but personally I have never been disappointed) but as always its your call.

Could it be the mobo…yes it could….. in the workshop a mobo tester will be used and the fault code(s) shown (if any) would indicate any potential problem with it, however my best guess (from a few thousand miles away) would be to start with checking the RAM and using known good modules with proper ESD precautions before trying other things….. is there any possibility that somone could have picked up a RAM module and not carried out the required ESD precautions.??….. static damage can often occur months after the "event"
Regards
paws
Thanks, I am going to take it in to a shop and ask them to check it out. They should have known good memory modules and systems that can be used to check out t he modules I have. Thanks again, Dan

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI