This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Major Problem

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

A few days ago, I started noticing a few random problems with my computer. I showed it to my friend, he did everything he could, and then when he couldn't figure it out, he told me to post it on here, so here it goes. I have a Toshiba Tecra A9-S9019X laptop. - The sound isn't working. The volume control window says it's unmuted and all of that jazz, but nothing comes out. I plugged in headphones and those didn't work either; I didn't even get the "the speakers are on" background static noise. Also, the external volume control doesn't work (the scrolling wheel on the front). - The "Toshiba Power Saver" application (it tells you your battery/power status, lets you set up what happens when you close the lid or hit the button, etc.) is no longer available; it is not in the taskbar and when I click on it in the control panel it gives me an error message saying that it isn't "turned on" and to go through the control panel power options menu to turn it back on. I've checked multiple times, it is set to be on via said menu. I also looked in the Program Files folder for it and there was no .exe file or anything there (only TPSTrace.log and TPwrSetup.$$$). - The "Pointer" application that controls which mouse you use (the blue dot in the middle of the keyboard or the touchpad) and other mouse settings is also not available. It is not in the taskbar and I can't find it anywhere (it's not the same as the "Mouse" menu in the control panel). - The function keys aren't working either (where you hold the "FN" key and use the F# keys to do some shortcut). Nothing happens when I hit them. The little light still turns on to tell me I'm pushing down the FN key, but nothing happens when I hit the F# keys. As far as I can tell, that's it. Everything else seems to work fine. There could me more problems I haven't noticed, though. I got a virus recently (just before these things started happening), but I've run multiple scanners multiple times and they say it's all gone, and my friend said that couldn't have done this anyways, so I don't know if that has any relevance or not, but I thought I should mention it. I ran the hijackthis application. The results are below. Thank you for your help! Tracie ———- 📎HJT_for_Snowflake343.txt
Hi Snowflake343, I've edited your post above to cause your HJT Log to appear as an Attached File. After you have completed any Infection Removal work, you may post back here if you still need assistance with your system. Best Regads

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI