This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] Desktop not loading any icons

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I recently got a bunch of Malware on my computer. When I would run the Anti-Malware program it found over 30 files that had been infected. When I went to remove them it would freeze up my computer. After restarting my computer, when it loads up the desktop there is nothing on the screen, just my wallpaper with no icons. I have tried restarting in safe mode, etc and still nothing happens. Any suggestions?
Hello.

I think I know what's causing the issue however, let's rule out something here to confirm that.

Are you able to start Task manager? (Ctrl + Alt + Del) ? If, so see if a process called explorer.exe is running or not. If not, then go to File >> New Task (Run…) >> In the open field type in: explorer and see if that resolves it.

Let me know and we'll continue from there and try to restore your computer. Do you have some spare CDs, as we may need one blank CD if that doesn't fix it do look into it further.

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Hello again.

That makes sense. Appears it's something in the registry then. Let's do the following to take a look at the state of that machine. From there we can fix the registry key related to that.

Download OTLPE and Boot Off It

  • Download OTLPE.iso and burn to a CD using ISO Burner.

A free Image Burning CD download can be found over here if you do not have one.

Instructions or tutorial on Burning ISO files can be found over here.

  • Once you have burned the file to a CD take the CD out of your working computer's CD-Rom drive.
  • Reboot your infected system using the boot CD you just created.

    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop and OTLPE should be loaded successfully.

Download DDS-BootCD and Save to Flash-Drive

Now please download DDS-BootCd and save it to your working computer's desktop.
Use a Flash/removable drive and copy that file into the removable drive.
Insert the flash/removable drive into your infected computer which is currently booted into the OTLPE Environment.
Double-click My Computer on the infected machine which is booted into the OTLPE Environment.
Find your removable/flash drive and copy the DDS-bootCD file to the desktop
Double-click on the DDS-bootcd.exe file and run it
Once it's complete a log file will open:

  • DDS.txt

It will also be saved at the root of the drive (C:\). Please save those two log files onto your flash/removable drive.
Remove your flash/removable drive and insert it to your working computer and post those two logs here for my review.

Thanks.

With Regards,
Extremeboy
I do apologize, I was out of town for a while there. I appreciate the help and am planning on trying your advice tomorrow, so I will send what happens, thanks!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI