This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Internet Connection Issues

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Yesterday my son was doing his homework on the internet, we run Windows XP and use Firefox, he finished and put computer on standby. Later I went to do mine but could not connect with Firefox, Internet Explorer or Netscape. I ran MBAM and Windows Malicious Virus Removal and came up with nothing. When the Firefox window opens, It tells me to "Go to File and Uncheck Work Off Line" wich I do, but it still comes up with unable to load page. I checked with Comcast and they ran through re-setting my modem, no joy. I then hooked my laptop to the router, still no Internet. I then hooked my son's laptop up and it works fine so I can assume my router is good. I noticed I was having issues since installing an AVG suite after getting hit with the "Antivirus 2010" virus two weeks ago. Everything worked fine until yesterday. AVG would not connect to get updates so I thought that may be the problem and removed the suite from my computer, did a re-start and Firefox still comes up with "Go to File and Uncheck Work Off Line" and will not connect at all. Any help or ideas? Maybe buy a new computer? Chief
Hi Chief, welcome to WhatTheTech.

Give this FF Add-on a try, see what happens: Disable Automatic Offline Management 1.1

Next, do the following:

Click on Start then Run and paste the following into the Run box:

cmd /c "ipconfig /all > postme.txt & ping yahoo.com >> postme.txt & notepad postme.txt"

and press ENTER.

A file will open in Notepad. Please copy and paste the contents here.
Close the Notepad window and the Command Prompt window will also close.
Ztrucker, Thanks for the reply. I'll give this a shot, but Idon't know how I will get the Notepad file from my home computer to the one at work, which is what I am replying on now. I cannot use a zip drive on my work computer. I'll see if I can send it from my son's laptop via my personal e-mail at home. Cheers! Chief :blush:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI