Software
Which language to learn
5 min read
Mister17
Topic Starter
Hi,
I want to learn a language so that I can use it in my studies here at WTT in Malware Removal.
Since there are a lot of languages out there I want to know which language is suited for me.
An example of a program that I maybe making.
A program that scan a Hjt log compare it to a database of my own. Just like making Systemlookup offline.
So what language is suitable for someone that is working with malware removal?
Thanks for you inputs
appleoddity
There isn't a definitive answer to your question Mister17. Because I am not a malware removal specialist, I will not comment on what is the "best language to use for malware removal."
However, I can tell you, from experience, what some of the languages you may want to study are.
Programming takes a great deal of logical thinking. Its important to understand that few people have what it takes to be serious programmers. Its not a fault, its just a special way of thinking that many people find very difficult to understand.
That aside, if you are a beginning programmer, you will need to learn this level of logical thinking by starting out with the most straight forward language. That would be BASIC. My suggestion is that you give Visual Basic express a shot which can be downloaded from Microsoft for free. Its a full features GUI driven basic compiler and development environment.
You're gonna want to get a good book on Visual Basic. Sams publishing makes excellent books. Titles that include "unleashed" or "teach yourself in xx days…" are very good books. To be a serious programmer it will takes years of study and practice and a very resourceful and frequent search of google. There are various things to learn such as logic flow, loops, variables, subroutines/functions, and object oriented programming.
Ultimately, once learning the "logic" of progamming with a simple to understand language like BASIC, you will want to graduate to a much more powerful language such as C++. Its a pretty safe bet to say that any savvy, skilled programmer will tell you that C++ is pretty much THE language of choice. There are specialty languages (in my opinion) like Java, but these languages have roots in C++.
The very nature of malware would require intimate knowledge and direct access of the operating system, file system, registry, hardware, etc. This makes C++ a very good choice because it is considered a fairly low-level programming language that gives you a lot of power over things. However, it is important to point out that any program that runs in Windows (everything!?!?) has many obstacles and hoops to jump through in order to do many low-level tasks. Its not like the good ol' DOS days where anything could directly access the hardware, and memory, etc. Now, some very sophisticated and complicated programming is necessary to do these things.
You will need to find and learn some type of IDE (Integrated Development Environment) that is suitable to help you learn. As mentioned earlier, Visual Basic Express is an excellent IDE to help you learn in. There is also Visual C++. I prefer these programs because they make writing Windows programs very easy. However, I am not what you would consider a "serious" programmer. I've been doing it for years, and can write and do anything, but it takes me a ton of research often times. I just don't do it often enough. Therefore, I am sure that power programmers, such as those that create programs for malware removal, have some much better IDEs suited for their requirements.
I think a great person to ask this question of would be our very own jpshortstuff who has taken on the task of writing many useful system utilities in what I believe is all C++.
Anyways, good luck on your endeavor. The programming section around here could definitely use some more activity, so if you decide to start learning and have questions, start posting them here. Programming is extremely fun for me, just very time consuming and time is something I just don't have much of any more.
Mister17
I am sorry that I forgot to mention that I can create simple program in VB 6.0 and C++. However I am a beginner to it.
Looks like in your post you root for C++ but someone told me that C# is the way to go. I agree on what you said that there is no definitive answer because each language has its own strength and weaknesses. In my experience with C++ I can say it is powerful in its own way but I just hard to do a GUI on it.
So 1 point for C++
Thanks for the input mr. appleoddity you give me a clearer option to choose for.
Anymore inputs will be appreciated. Thanks.
Looks like in your post you root for C++ but someone told me that C# is the way to go. I agree on what you said that there is no definitive answer because each language has its own strength and weaknesses. In my experience with C++ I can say it is powerful in its own way but I just hard to do a GUI on it.
But this should answer the GUI. I never thought they are Visual C++. Just want to ask if it is the same as VB in terms of GUI. (Textbox. Combobox, etc..)There is also Visual C++
So 1 point for C++
Thanks for the input mr. appleoddity you give me a clearer option to choose for.
Anymore inputs will be appreciated. Thanks.
appleoddity
Yes, the form designer is identical in Visual C++, just a different language behind the scenes.
inzanity
You can also try Delphi if you want, it is based on windows Object Pascal language, OOP + GUI.
After learning your preferred language, you can then start or do it at the same time to learn about MySQL. It is free for personal use, easy to set up and easy to learn. I would suggest using MySQL GUI tools for setting it up and doing your query as there is a very good inline help with it.
Mister17
Thanks for the input.
I am now taking small steps learning advance C++. After that I will study SQL. since I believe it is the better than access.
Thanks for the advice. I will now study C++ and SQL.
regdent
You can also try Delphi if you want, it is based on windows Object Pascal language, OOP + GUI.
After learning your preferred language, you can then start or do it at the same time to learn about MySQL. It is free for personal use, easy to set up and easy to learn. I would suggest using MySQL GUI tools for setting it up and doing your query as there is a very good inline help with it.
I had the same question, i want to start with some basic programming so i will defiantly look into basic to start followed by C++
One question i have is why do you recommend MySQL? Is it just good to know or is it tied in with malware removal?
Thanks
Jkc73
Click here –> http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/One question i have is why do you recommend MySQL? Is it just good to know or is it tied in with malware removal?
Thanks
Regards,
Jkc73
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI