alpinewarrior
Topic Starter
Ok, I'm working on expanding my knowledge of networking beyond the bare basics of home networks & troubleshooting common connectivity problems in Windows + PC.
Here's a couple of scenarios involving my home network that I've been trying to understand, but to no avail – so far. Although the fact that I havent been able to do so yet isnt a big concern, since when when I do understand it, my intuitive understanding will increase significantly. Learning through hands on, applied scenarios is SO much more effective than struggling to memorize details in the style of most networking books Ive seen.
First scenario I'm trying to understand
- Home network: Typical wired cable service is what it is
Hardware setup in home:
-Cable modem/router which comes in from the ISPs local regional network, or whatever the correct term is.
-A single 5 port switch coming off the modem. All computers connected to this switch.
- DHCP + automatic obtaining of IP/DNS used on all computers
- All computers Win XP + SP 2, or 3.
- Nothing wireless – everything is standard ol' cat5
What I'm trying to understand
There are 4 computers connected to the switch. 3 of them have the following specifications
1st comp: IP assigned by DHCP = xx.xxx.248.69 | Subnet mask: 255.255.254.0 | Default Gateway: xx.xx.248.1
2nd comp: IP assigned by DHCP = xx.xxx.248.136 | Subnet mask: 255.255.254.0 | Default Gateway: xx.xx.248.1
3rd comp: IP assigned by DHCP = xx.xxx.248.87 | Subnet mask: 255.255.254.0 | Default Gateway: xx.xx.248.1
Here's what I dont understand
4th comp: IP assigned by DHCP = xx.xxx.251.155 | Subnet mask: 255.255.254.0 | Default Gateway: xx.xx.250.1
All 4 comps are on the same subnet – what is causing the 4th comp's IP to be 251.155, instead of 248.155 – in line with the others.
How is the default gateway different – they are all connected to the same modem (which would be the typical default gateway in this scenario correct?)
I've tried various things from the Windows end of it, to see if that was cause. I've double and triple checked that all of the settings in network connections + internet settings.
Second scenario I'm trying to understand
Occasionally, I bring computers home to do some work on them. These computers were not experiencing any connectivity issues prior to this scenario described below.
Typical scenario has been this:
- Connect computer to my own LAN to download updates, etc. No connectivity. Proceed to verify that it is not any of the hardware in my own home network. It never is. Proceed to check common things which I'm aware of, which include: NIC drivers, NIC card integrity (by directly connecting it to another computer, and accessing a shared drive on the other computer), verifying that DHCP is enabled, that internet options -> LAN settings are set to automatic obtain, and no proxy settings set. TCP/IP settings under LAN properties – set to obtain settings automatically.
- Ping 127.0.0.1 to verify tcp/ip stack working. Sometimes ill reset the stack via using netsh int ip reset, just to see if somehow that changed it. Expectedly, it didnt.
- Ipconfig /release + renew typically results in "Cannot contact DHCP… timed out, blah blah". Restarting computer results in ipconfig being reset to a default 169.254.xxx.xxx
- No default gateway detected/cannot ping default gateway
- Manual pinging of DHCP address fails – unexpectedly – hey you gotta try everything when youre trying to learn about it…
- Any software firewalls are disabled, just in case this might be a factor.
Now here are the two kickers to me which leave me scratching my head
- I manually set IP/subnet/Gateway to my local specifications, and wallah – everything works. Change it back to automatic, goes right back.
- I take this computer, with all its settings set to automatically obtain, hook it into my wired LAN at work (same ISP), and every time it works. There is nothing non-standard about the configurations in my home network, that I am aware of. My laptops used in my home network have no issues when taking them elsewhere – I.e. the computers on my home network dont have some non-standard configuration that is specific to some non-standard settings in my home network – or so it would seem….
So it would seem to me that: My home network configuration is by the book standard, the network at my work is a standard setup, my own computers are standard – no proxies or anything – and all of the problem computers have been standard, in all of the areas that Im aware of.
Questions
- What other areas should I be looking at to understand why the visiting computer doesnt work on my home network with automatic settings, but does work with manual settings.
- What should I be looking at to understand why my computers have no problem contacting the local DHCP server, but the visiting computers – with apparently the same standard settings – and fully functioning hardware + TCP/ip stack + DHCP enabled in windows…… cannot?
Here's a couple of scenarios involving my home network that I've been trying to understand, but to no avail – so far. Although the fact that I havent been able to do so yet isnt a big concern, since when when I do understand it, my intuitive understanding will increase significantly. Learning through hands on, applied scenarios is SO much more effective than struggling to memorize details in the style of most networking books Ive seen.
First scenario I'm trying to understand
- Home network: Typical wired cable service is what it is
Hardware setup in home:
-Cable modem/router which comes in from the ISPs local regional network, or whatever the correct term is.
-A single 5 port switch coming off the modem. All computers connected to this switch.
- DHCP + automatic obtaining of IP/DNS used on all computers
- All computers Win XP + SP 2, or 3.
- Nothing wireless – everything is standard ol' cat5
What I'm trying to understand
There are 4 computers connected to the switch. 3 of them have the following specifications
1st comp: IP assigned by DHCP = xx.xxx.248.69 | Subnet mask: 255.255.254.0 | Default Gateway: xx.xx.248.1
2nd comp: IP assigned by DHCP = xx.xxx.248.136 | Subnet mask: 255.255.254.0 | Default Gateway: xx.xx.248.1
3rd comp: IP assigned by DHCP = xx.xxx.248.87 | Subnet mask: 255.255.254.0 | Default Gateway: xx.xx.248.1
Here's what I dont understand
4th comp: IP assigned by DHCP = xx.xxx.251.155 | Subnet mask: 255.255.254.0 | Default Gateway: xx.xx.250.1
All 4 comps are on the same subnet – what is causing the 4th comp's IP to be 251.155, instead of 248.155 – in line with the others.
How is the default gateway different – they are all connected to the same modem (which would be the typical default gateway in this scenario correct?)
I've tried various things from the Windows end of it, to see if that was cause. I've double and triple checked that all of the settings in network connections + internet settings.
Second scenario I'm trying to understand
Occasionally, I bring computers home to do some work on them. These computers were not experiencing any connectivity issues prior to this scenario described below.
Typical scenario has been this:
- Connect computer to my own LAN to download updates, etc. No connectivity. Proceed to verify that it is not any of the hardware in my own home network. It never is. Proceed to check common things which I'm aware of, which include: NIC drivers, NIC card integrity (by directly connecting it to another computer, and accessing a shared drive on the other computer), verifying that DHCP is enabled, that internet options -> LAN settings are set to automatic obtain, and no proxy settings set. TCP/IP settings under LAN properties – set to obtain settings automatically.
- Ping 127.0.0.1 to verify tcp/ip stack working. Sometimes ill reset the stack via using netsh int ip reset, just to see if somehow that changed it. Expectedly, it didnt.
- Ipconfig /release + renew typically results in "Cannot contact DHCP… timed out, blah blah". Restarting computer results in ipconfig being reset to a default 169.254.xxx.xxx
- No default gateway detected/cannot ping default gateway
- Manual pinging of DHCP address fails – unexpectedly – hey you gotta try everything when youre trying to learn about it…
- Any software firewalls are disabled, just in case this might be a factor.
Now here are the two kickers to me which leave me scratching my head
- I manually set IP/subnet/Gateway to my local specifications, and wallah – everything works. Change it back to automatic, goes right back.
- I take this computer, with all its settings set to automatically obtain, hook it into my wired LAN at work (same ISP), and every time it works. There is nothing non-standard about the configurations in my home network, that I am aware of. My laptops used in my home network have no issues when taking them elsewhere – I.e. the computers on my home network dont have some non-standard configuration that is specific to some non-standard settings in my home network – or so it would seem….
So it would seem to me that: My home network configuration is by the book standard, the network at my work is a standard setup, my own computers are standard – no proxies or anything – and all of the problem computers have been standard, in all of the areas that Im aware of.
Questions
- What other areas should I be looking at to understand why the visiting computer doesnt work on my home network with automatic settings, but does work with manual settings.
- What should I be looking at to understand why my computers have no problem contacting the local DHCP server, but the visiting computers – with apparently the same standard settings – and fully functioning hardware + TCP/ip stack + DHCP enabled in windows…… cannot?