This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Restoring computer after infection

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have been told that I need to do a system restore (back to factory condition) because of the Trojan Vundo virus. Malwarebytes successfully found and removed the virus, but the tech who was helping me said that the only way to fix the damage caused is to basically start over, that the virus had irreparably "broken" my IE and could still have pieces hidden throughout the computer. I have a Gateway E2000 and can't find anything called a system restore disk, but have found a set of 3 disks called Drivers, Operating System and Applications. Are these the same as what used to be on a restore disk? Are there other things I should, or could, try before this most drastic of steps? I have my data backed up with Carbonite, but it's always scary to think about erasing everything. I apologize for not having completed all of the "before you post" steps, but I didn't know if it was something I needed to do since I've already reached this point. Please let me know if there are any of those steps I still need to take before you can answer my question. Thanks.
A nuke and pave seems a little severe for a Vundo infection, but you can never tell. It will require a little more information, so take a read through this thread and then start a fresh thread in this forum and post accordingly. Please don't forget to include a brief description of your problem, and somebody will be along as soon as.
Helpers look for posts with zero replies which is why you need to start afresh and why i'll lock this one.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI