Computer smells and heats my room
14 min read
my computer gives out a horrible smell that actually fills up my whole room. It smells like burning rubber. It also gives out a lot of heat,
Sorry to hear of the problems with your machine….PLEASE TAKE IT OUT OF SERVICE IMMEDIATELY AND PHYSICALLY DISCONNECT IT FROM THE WALL SOCKET ( POWER CABLE) THEN DISCONNECT ALL OTHER CABLES THAT ARE CURRENTLY CONNECTED TO IT.
The only advice we can provide you with is to take it, with all the cables and plugs that you have been using, to a competent local computer technician or servicing facility and get an estimate for a safety check and repair.
It is strongly recommended that you do not use it, or allow anyone access to it until it has either been repaired or declared safe by a competent person.
The issues you describe indicate the strong possibility of a severe safety problem with the machine, including that of danger of death, or fire.
Its important that you take the required action without delay and do not under any circumstaances allow anyone to power up the machine or connect the mains electric OR ANY OTHER cables.
Once your machine has been repaired or declared safe by a competent person and the burning smell has stopped then please post back here in this topic if you are still having issues with it and we will do our best to help.
Regards
paws
Yes ReallyReally?
That's no guarantee that its not going to set fire to your house any time you are unwise enough to use it….or electrocute (Kill ) you or a member of your household or visitor.It's been like this for a few months and nothing has happened
Get a fixed price estimate, then it's recommended you do it…(Get it checked for safety by a competent person).it will be money well spent.I wanna take it to a computer technician but I think they charge even for just checking what's wrong with it.
Isn't there a program to check if there's anything wrong with your hardware or something?
In your own safety I am not prepared to make any recommendations to you on this, other than as set out in my original response…. take it all out of service immediately and have it all checked out by a competent person.
You are figuratively and perhaps literally "playing with fire"
If you persist in using this machine or allowing anyone access to it without following our recommendations then you do so at your own risk
You have been warned.
Regards
paws
If you have come back to our forums, using a different (safe) machine to ask additional questions, we are glad to try to help, and you are very welcome here.
If you are still using the same (unsafe) machine, please follow Paws instructions immediately.
Turn off the unsafe machine immediately, and disconnect it from all power sources.
Computers (and all other appliances) should never smell badly, nor produce uncomfortable amounts of heat!
Bad smells and uncomfortable heat indicate DANGEROUS risk conditions that could cause Fire, poisonous smoke, and electrical shock.
Do not attempt to use that DANGEROUS machine, until it has been fully examined and repaired by a competent technician.
Best Regards
The best advice I can give you is to take your system into a computer service center and have it checked out for safety by a competent person.
In the meantime the machine should be disconnected from the mains electricity, and then all remaining cables disconnected and taken with the machine for a safety check as mentioned above and in previous posts.
Regards
paws
Lotos,
It's disappointing to read that you are still encountering difficulty.
Electrical devices do produce heat, but manufacturers design their products to compensate for this fact.
When electrical devices such as computers, monitors, modems, and routers are running correctly, they do not produce heat that would be noticed as excessive, and they do not produce smells that would be noticed when entering the room.
You have reported both excessive heat and noticeable smell.
And you have reported that these disturbing observations persist.
These facts may indicate faulty component devices, faulty connections, faulty installation/assembly, or that foreign material has invaded a device causing short-circuit or preventing dispersal of heat.
Any of the above could indicate a dangerous condition which could:
- cause catastrophic failure to your computer
- cause dangerous failure of your home's electrical system
- be a health and safety risk to you, other members of your household,
You have been determined and persistent in your efforts to repair this machine.
I respect that you would like to complete this repair by yourself.
However, I strongly urge you to follow the recommendation that Paws offers above.
This is not the first time that you have received such warning/recommendation.
Our own repetition of caution should be taken as the strongest advice to act responsibly by seeking direct physical assistance from a competent local shop.
Best Regards
After any type of electrical equipment that has had serious problems with power, especially one that has had a consistent case of excessive heat and noticeable smell, it is likely that the smell be on everything.(including the case, this is the reason for you to take the machine and the cables to a competent computer technician) As the use of a Technicians tools to test specific voltages, currents and resistance, are better then any one over the forums as your PC sits there melting and possibly causing the internal wiring in your place to over heat and start to melt and cause fires later on after your PC is long gone.The only thing I haven't replaced now is the DVD drive and case, could the DVD drive be causing it?
No, I don't like posting a message after 2 intelligent colleagues like Paws & Doug have so far posted to get the message through, though you did say:
Then later you offered:Really? It's been like this for a few months and nothing has happened. I wanna take it to a computer technician but I think they charge even for just checking what's wrong with it. I already spent so much money, I just wanna replace what part is causing this. Isn't there a program to check if there's anything wrong with your hardware or something?
And then:This is just ridiculous.. I got my new parts, and the smell/heat is still there!! Please help me, this is driving me crazy… The only thing I haven't replaced now is the DVD drive and case, could the DVD drive be causing it? Would the computer run fine if I unplugged the DVD drive from the motherboard and powersupply to see if it's causing it? The smell is coming directly from the powersupply, maybe I need a power supply with more watts or could it be a cheap brand? Also, I'll try to get a case fan. There's a cylinder tunnel thing inside of my case facing the CPU, should I remove that? The only purpose I see for it would be to block airflow. Please help..
So,Can you please just answer my questions? I just spent 40 dollars just for some guy to tell me I need higher MHz RAM for the computer to run, then another 30 bucks for the RAM(thanks for not telling me my RAM wouldn't work on that mobo <_< >_>). When I asked about the heat/smell he just said it happens when the PSU doesn't have enough power to power everything. So do I need another PSU??
Please don't risk anything, any longer.
Best Wishes,
Jkc73
I highly doubt it being your PSU. I have just completed a 1yr apprenticeship working with real people's computers and have NEVER come across this problem.
My PC has a 250w PSU, running a 24+4 pin AMD motherboard with 4GB DDR2, AM2+ 2.2GHz Processor, 2 SATA HDD's and 1 SATA CD/DVD RW drive and have plenty of power to go around.
The only thing that i can recommnd doing, other than buying a whole new computer, is to clean the heatsink of any gunk that is stuck there.
You said that you bought a new processor. Did you replace the heatsink and upgrade the fan at that time? if not, and your heatsink is gunked up, the fan will be overstressed by trying to cool the mountain of heat from the new processor.
Also, make sure that there is a layer of thermal compound between the CPU and heatsink, this helps the heatsink conduct the heat away from the CPU and towards the fan to blow it cool.
In Regards to the 'Burning Rubber' smell, if your CPU is overheating then it will actually burn ( i have done this before by forgetting to attach a heatsink to the CPU) and it smells a lot like burning rubber and will fill a room virtually any size with the smell.
I hope this helps and please, until the computer has been declared safe by a competent technician DO NOT USE YOUR COMPUTER.
i know we keep saying this but yours and your family's safety is more important than a computer because a computer can be replaced, families can't.
Please unplug it. I once ruined a perfectly good system because I didn't (touched a couple of motherboard 'jumper' pins with a paperclip or something by mistake. And because of the ATX specification, today's PCs are "on" even when they're "off". Remember the mid-1980s US Ford cars and trucks where the ignition switch would let current through even when it was off, and this led to excessive heat, fires and a recall? You don't know when your problem PC might strike. Unless it is unplugged.
And back around 1995, a church friend of mine saw a CPU fail (both smoking AND cracking!) because it didn't have a fan. He was an IS/IT major in college. It was probably a 100 MHz 486 consuming 20-30 watts, and it happened FAST. He was in his professor's office, and it was the professor's computer! Mistakes happen, even to the best of us.
Please unplug it and don't use it. Continuing to use this computer is like continuing to ride until your motorcycle chain actually breaks. Maybe you don't see any value in the computer inspection, that's why I recommended getting some physical memory chips (after you get a hand-me-down PC and know what kind to get).
Sounds like the "technician" was incompetent. Reverse the charge on your credit card, or go to the "consumer supporter" reporter at your local TV station. Complain, try "small claims court", but MAKE SOME NOISE until you get satisfaction!
If you want to see PCs (and other electronics) gone horribly wrong, see Badcaps dot net forums. (They also suggest that some PSUs are truly not so good. Not just bad capacitors, but poor engineering designs. Years ago, a bad quality power supply killed a motherboard/CPU that I had over $100 invested in.)
Please unplug it and don't use it until it is diagnosed by a REAL computer tech.
(EDIT: the plastic "tunnel" helps with airflow specifically for the CPU or video card. Name-brand PCs like Dell use them [with thermostatically controlled fans] to lower the noise. Special "gamer" cases designed for running the PC at higher than designed speeds may also have this setup. Smoke or pet hair [or roaches, sorry to say] can clog filters and cooling fins, but really, the sooner you unplug it the better.)
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI