This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Dell Angel USB TV tuner kept losing signal, then never working at all,

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Dell Inspiron E1705 Laptop Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600) 1.85 gigahertz Intel Core Due 64 kilobyte primary memory cache 2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache Dell Model: Angel USB TV tuner Dell Label P/N: X9844 When I first got my laptop, I never used the Angel tuner that I ordered with it from Dell. I started using it a couple of years ago and, at first, it worked fine. The clarity was disappointing compared to the clarity of large sized image files viewed on the same screen. I got used to that. About a year or so ago, I started having problems. I was always having the video get stalled on a frame and stay there for anywhere from a second to minutes, while the audio seemed to go on uninterrupted. It initially seemed like a bad tuner because, after a while I notice that I could lose my TV signal if I bumped the tuner, and later on, from the vibration of me putting a mug down on the same table it sat on. Eventually, or right away, the picture would go away and I would lose sound and get a dark blue screen (instead of TV) with, I think, “Loss of Signal Error”. Things degraded to the point that it just never worked. I wonder if it would have started giving me problems earlier if I had been doing my updates, as I was receiving the messages. To see if it was just a bad piece of equipment, I purchased a brand new tuner: WinTV-HVR HYBRID TV STICK 950Q Hauppauge Designed for Microsoft Windows XP Anyway, I tested it today to see what the latest messages were. I go to my MediaCenter When I select the feature “My TV” Component Registration Failure Some of the files needed to play radio or video are missing or corrupt. Media Center component registration may have failed. OK I can hit OK and get back to the “menu” of the MediaCenter window. If I try “My TV” again, I get ehshell.exe – Common Language Runtime Debugging…. Application has generated an exception that could not be handled. Process id=0x1edc (7900), Thread id=0x114c (4428). Click OK to terminate the application. Click CANCEL to debug the application. (I think the exact numbers change each time) I selected “Cancel”: Shell.exe – No debugger found. Registered JIT debugger is not available. An attempt to launch a JIT debugger with the following command resulted in an error code of 0x2 (2). Please check computer settings. cordbg.exe !a 0x1edc Click on Retry to have the process wait while attaching a debugger manually. Click on Cancel to abort the JIT debug request. Retry Cancel I clicked Retry, and the “working on it” twirling “clock” (I don’t know what it's called) kept rotating without ever stopping. While a mini window of what the TV/video screen would be opened up in the lower left hand corner of the MediaCenter window. It had a navy blue background and “Video Error” None of the clickable/selectable options were responding to the arrow cursor when it was hovered over them. I tried to “X” out of the window, but unresponsive. Used task manager and “end now” to end the hung up window. Then I get the “Media Center crash r….” “Generating crash report. Please wait…..” - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - One suggestion that I got from a board/forum that worked EXTREMELY well for a short period of time was to power down, unplug your power cord, and I think also unhook your internet. Because I have a laptop, at the same time I also removed my batter. Then put everything back. Over the course of a couple of weeks or months this started working less and less well, and then not at all. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Messages I've also gotten…….. Critical Process Failure A critical media center process has unexpectedly failed. If problems persist, please restart your machine and try again, or contact technical support. Code: 3 OK - - - - - - Component Registration Failure Some of the files needed to play radio or video are missing or corrupt. Media Center component registration may have failed. OK - - - - - - Application Failure. A critical media center process has failed. Please restart the computer and try again. If the problem persists, contact your hardware manufacturer for assistance. - - - - - - Tuner Not Found The tuner hardware is either malfunctioning or not installed. Please ensure that both the tuner hardware and a valid tuner hardware driver are installed. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - To get the specs, I found a tuner for sale on ebay……. System Requirements: 5400 RPM or faster Disk Drive (Note: Disk DMA must be enabled for proper operation.) Minimum 256MB RAM, 512MB Recommended 1.8GHz Processor, 400 MHz Front Side Bus DirectX 9.1 or higher One USB type A port for the Angel USB TV Tuner (must be USB 2.0) This tuner is compatible with: Windows Media Center 2005 Edition, Windows Vista (32 and 64-bit), and Windows 7. *The following applications may be used to gain functionality with Windows XP: Monsoon Multimedia SnappySoft Sonic MyDVD Studio v6.2 MediaPortal (free) GB-PVR (free) Latest Vendor Drivers and Programs (XP, Vista) View Dell's User Guide. Download Dell's Drivers. Dell Part#: X9844, MJ438, HJ649
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - "To see if it was just a bad piece of equipment, I purchased a brand new tuner: WinTV-HVR" When I wrote that I meant to say that I was still having problems after I installed the new one, so I took it back. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Hi kapusta, you are being helped here on a "sound" related issue on a computer
http://forums.whatthetech.com/No_audio_lap…602#entry619602
if this is the same computer on which you are having issues it's important that you only deal with one matter at a time.

If you start receiving advice on two separate topics and make system changes for each we will all be in big trouble on fixing your machine…
if its a different machine then post back here and confirm so that helpers will know its OK to give advice…( Helpers will not generally respond in a topic where there is another topic already open covering similar issues.

Many volunteers offer advice and assistance on a number of different help or technical websites and forums so its best to stick to one help site/forum until your issue is either resolved or you decide not to continue with the assistance provided…..( if you decide to ask for advice on similar issues on another forum, then that's fine by us but do please let us know , so that we can discontinue advice on them from WTT.
Regards
and of course….
Happy Christmas

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI