This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

MSHtml.dll faulting...

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, am here again. :blush:

Yahoo Messenger and Secunia PSI keeps crashing after I updated my system yesterday.

The error message:
AppName: yahoomessenger.exe AppVer: 10.0.0.1102 ModName: mshtml.dll
ModVer: 8.0.6001.18854 Offset: 00209f9c

AppName: psi.exe AppVer: 1.5.0.1 ModName: mshtml.dll
ModVer: 8.0.6001.18854 Offset: 00209f9c


Error message in Event Viewer:
Faulting application psi.exe, version 1.5.0.1, faulting module mshtml.dll, version 8.0.6001.18854, fault address 0x00209f9c.
Faulting application yahoomessenger.exe, version 10.0.0.1102, faulting module mshtml.dll, version 8.0.6001.18854, fault address 0x00209f9c.


Since I thought it was mshtml.dll faulting, I tried re-registering (regsvr32 mshtml.dll) it but this error message came out:
mshtml.dll was loaded, but the DLLRegisterServer entry point was not found.
This file can not be registered.


My research keeps getting me to IE (I have IE8 but I only use that for updates, FF is default browser) so I tried resetting it but the problem still persists.

___________________________________________________

I searched my system for any mshtml.dll file, this might be of help:

SystemLook v1.0 by jpshortstuff (28.08.09)
Log created at 09:28 on 10/12/2009 by adz (Administrator - Elevation successful)

========== filefind ==========

Searching for "mshtml.dll"
CBB1EF54B86EDB78649909DD1699E5CA
C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB896727\SP2QFE\mshtml.dll –a— 3016192 bytes [10:03 20/07/2005] [10:03 20/07/2005] A14A7A206AE22DE4FE563E44CFC7DDF5
C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB912945\SP2QFE\mshtml.dll –a— 3073024 bytes [05:47 20/09/2006] [02:59 01/02/2006] 51C91AC189321A320FC4BC90B56255A3
C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB956390-IE7\SP2QFE\mshtml.dll –a— 3594752 bytes [01:43 12/03/2009] [09:08 26/08/2008] 25CC085720EE3617FD1F8AB9E2F7CAB2
C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB958215-IE7\SP2QFE\mshtml.dll –a— 3595264 bytes [00:23 26/01/2009] [20:24 16/10/2008] B74F31A4BD83797D7A083F922169287D
C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB958215\SP2QFE\mshtml.dll –a— 3067392 bytes [05:56 21/01/2009] [10:20 16/10/2008] C99D8B48FC245D98E1A2BAB6594458C9
C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB958215\SP3GDR\mshtml.dll –a— 3067904 bytes [05:56 21/01/2009] [01:00 16/10/2008] B846C2DE341CF32B42AD297437233742
C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB958215\SP3QFE\mshtml.dll –a— 3067904 bytes [22:34 15/10/2008] [22:34 15/10/2008] CC5A2205D37AE67CE23AB7FD3E1FDACA
C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB960714-IE7\SP2QFE\mshtml.dll –a— 3594752 bytes [00:18 26/01/2009] [06:26 13/12/2008] C79FAD61CD4A26ED5AA8C16D991C6FBD
C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB960714\SP2QFE\mshtml.dll –a— 3067392 bytes [06:51 21/01/2009] [17:27 12/12/2008] 6D1D493622EA050DBAABD0C4C1DFADB5
C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB960714\SP3GDR\mshtml.dll –a— 3067904 bytes [06:51 21/01/2009] [17:01 12/12/2008] C828AA1C5469E72251F3D367005E589F
C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB960714\SP3QFE\mshtml.dll –a— 3067904 bytes [06:51 21/01/2009] [17:14 12/12/2008] B6DAA74E2ED36C71B502945589A683AE
C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB961260-IE7\SP2QFE\mshtml.dll –a— 3596288 bytes [00:20 18/02/2009] [16:24 16/01/2009] CC9D001B7370B292C35B366CA05B12B4
C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB969897-IE8\SP3QFE\mshtml.dll –a— 5936128 bytes [04:28 17/06/2009] [05:10 13/05/2009] 1290E417BF806185CC7B2845E78A104E
C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB972260-IE8\SP3QFE\mshtml.dll –a— 5938176 bytes [23:14 11/08/2009] [13:17 19/07/2009] F25D866DD486AD30E05E5596CB363C3E
C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB974455-IE8\SP3QFE\mshtml.dll –a— 5942272 bytes [01:46 14/10/2009] [08:01 29/08/2009] B68F6E6C66D17D9EDABF3D5DA71046DA
C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB976325-IE8\SP3QFE\mshtml.dll –a— 5944320 bytes [02:11 09/12/2009] [07:45 29/10/2009] C0F9AC6FAB2C788FFEE3E69585A0E93F
C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB896727$\mshtml.dll –a— 3003392 bytes [21:00 04/08/2004] [21:00 04/08/2004] 376E0843B2356CA91CEC8D9837A56FF7
C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB960714$\mshtml.dll —–c 3447808 bytes [13:17 21/01/2009] [07:34 15/12/2008] BB43F35E2CD6BB7E091C48A2F9F59868
C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT\cache\mshtml.dll –a— 5940736 bytes [10:15 09/12/2009] [07:45 29/10/2009] CBB1EF54B86EDB78649909DD1699E5CA
C:\WINDOWS\ie7updates\KB956390-IE7\mshtml.dll —–c 3578368 bytes [01:43 12/03/2009] [10:54 13/08/2007] C6EC2493346ED8888A549F59210A8ED3
C:\WINDOWS\ie7updates\KB960714-IE7\mshtml.dll —–c 3578368 bytes [09:27 26/01/2009] [10:54 13/08/2007] C6EC2493346ED8888A549F59210A8ED3
C:\WINDOWS\ie7updates\KB961260-IE7\mshtml.dll —–c 3802112 bytes [09:16 18/02/2009] [05:29 08/02/2009] 68253289A2CAB1C44C8DA3E2E88AF6B5
C:\WINDOWS\ie7\mshtml.dll –a–c 3070464 bytes [01:42 12/03/2009] [10:59 31/01/2006] 568A97E2B959FDD99557AD953702FC8C
C:\WINDOWS\ie8updates\KB969897-IE8\mshtml.dll —–c 6210560 bytes [09:01 17/06/2009] [20:41 07/03/2009] E96A0BE36C7FAE3539B162C6F1A1800C
C:\WINDOWS\ie8updates\KB972260-IE8\mshtml.dll —–c 5936128 bytes [01:13 12/08/2009] [05:15 13/05/2009] EEAADAA744B20E68CF5EB4FBB4F8AFA9
C:\WINDOWS\ie8updates\KB974455-IE8\mshtml.dll —–c 6211072 bytes [01:57 14/10/2009] [13:18 19/07/2009] B77BE21375D5A4896437A82E7E99930F
C:\WINDOWS\ie8updates\KB976325-IE8\mshtml.dll —–c 7376896 bytes [02:19 09/12/2009] [08:08 29/08/2009] 0F9B4423AA564FC79EE0CD329DEDB21A
C:\WINDOWS\ie8\mshtml.dll –a–c 3594752 bytes [02:18 25/03/2009] [13:35 16/01/2009] 3B413267DA8AE71C20E5EF3E54F74728
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\mshtml.dll —— 7376896 bytes [11:09 07/02/2009] [08:08 29/08/2009] 0F9B4423AA564FC79EE0CD329DEDB21A
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\2e4e820fa4f0714d84e95e04fd4b348e\SP2GDR\mshtml.dll –a— 3594752 bytes [13:35 16/01/2009] [13:35 16/01/2009] 3B413267DA8AE71C20E5EF3E54F74728
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\2e4e820fa4f0714d84e95e04fd4b348e\SP2QFE\mshtml.dll –a— 3596288 bytes [01:32 12/03/2009] [16:24 16/01/2009] CC9D001B7370B292C35B366CA05B12B4
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\5d9d48823dca01f9929a959c29f5edc4\SP2GDR\mshtml.dll –a— 3593216 bytes [05:54 27/08/2008] [05:54 27/08/2008] 1AD035E04A7068EC2820B055A3131ED8
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\5d9d48823dca01f9929a959c29f5edc4\SP2QFE\mshtml.dll –a— 3594752 bytes [01:28 12/03/2009] [09:08 26/08/2008] 25CC085720EE3617FD1F8AB9E2F7CAB2
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\8f6570639abf0586cc1aaf1fc76726f6\SP3GDR\mshtml.dll –a— 5940736 bytes [02:11 09/12/2009] [07:45 29/10/2009] CBB1EF54B86EDB78649909DD1699E5CA
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\8f6570639abf0586cc1aaf1fc76726f6\SP3QFE\mshtml.dll –a— 5944320 bytes [02:11 09/12/2009] [07:45 29/10/2009] C0F9AC6FAB2C788FFEE3E69585A0E93F
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\e9500597a78495f397efb821e37bf356\backup\mshtml.dll –a— 3003392 bytes [01:11 22/01/2009] [21:00 04/08/2004] 376E0843B2356CA91CEC8D9837A56FF7
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\mshtml.dll –a— 5940736 bytes [21:00 04/08/2004] [07:45 29/10/2009] CBB1EF54B86EDB78649909DD1699E5CA
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mshtml.dll —— 5940736 bytes [21:00 04/08/2004] [07:45 29/10/2009] CBB1EF54B86EDB78649909DD1699E5CA

-=End Of File=-
___________________________________________________

Thank you ver much. :)
Try backing out yesterdays updates, see if the problem goes away. If yes, do the updates a few at a time until you find the one causing the problem.
Hi, I couldn't go via Windows System restore as that too is affected by the faulting module, what I did was to go through restore via ERUNT, restored my laptop prior to the updates but the problem still occurs. Well, for now Yahoo messenger is running fine but sometimes when I reboot it would go on sick leave again. PSI is the same though I can go for OSI if this won't really work. Are the updates those that are in the home directory with a CLSID like folder name with hidden contents? Anyway, there is no rush here as the computer is running fine albeit those problems. Thank you. :)
If you look in C:\Windows, you'll see a bunch of folders named like $NtUninstallKB923689$. If you sort the display by date (in Windows Explorer) then the latest ones should be together and have the date. Record those KB numbers, then open Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs. Click on Show Updates at the top, then scroll down and uninstall the ones you recorded the names of. Do them all at once or a few at a time, rebooting between each uninstall session. If the failure goes away then reinstall then one at a time (if you did them a few at a time) or install them a few at a time till you find the culprit.
Done uninstalling but the problem still persists.

I can't see the updates in Add/Remove Programs so I used the uninstall package in each of the update's folders.

Here is the list of the updates and the order I uninstalled them (all dated on Dec. 29):
  • $NtUninstallKB973904$
  • $NtUninstallKB955759$
  • KB976325-IE8
  • $NtUninstallKB974392$
  • $NtUninstallKB974318$
  • $NtUninstallKB971737$
  • $NtUninstallKB970430$
  • $NtUninstallKB971961$
Steps I did:
  • Uninstall one update.
  • Reboot.
  • Test.
  • Failed -> back to step 1.
Will, try now to re-download the updates then install one at a time, doing the steps above.

Are the updates downloaded in the %HOMEDRIVE%? Thank you. :)
Oh it says there that the updates are already download and ready to install. I try to find the updates so that I can install them one at a time.
Hi, I've done those steps but the error still persists so I've uninstalled IE 8 and it is working fine now. I'll monitor it for a few days then reinstall IE 8 and see if the problem comes back. Thank very much for your help. ^_^

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI