This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

CTRL keys not working...

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I know this sounds crazy but both of the "Ctrl" keys on my Fujitsu Lifebook have stopped responding. Every one in a while one of the other keys sticks or fails to function but a shot of canned air and it clears up. This is different: the Ctrl keys (and its both of them on opposite sides of the keyboard) have stopped responding. They function (depress/rebound) normally but the desired computer response (usually a cut & paste or Ctrl-Alt-Del to invoke task manager) doesn't happen…instead I get a letter "c" or a "v" and no task manager. I could see one key failing but both of them? Is there any diagnostic that I can try? Fujitsu has a "hot key utility" which I don't totally understand the purpose of; for example, sometimes I get a message stating that the hot key utility has adjusted the monitor brightness based on power consumption and other odd messages not seemingly directly related to keys/keyboard/hot keys. Fujitsu of course said he keyboard needs to be replaced. Thanks, LB
If you are talented, careful and adventurous, you might read the manual and follow the steps to lift out that keyboard. Since "ctrl" routes to the same location when you press either key, a foreign object inhibiting one is quite likely to inhibit both. Removing that obstruction (if one exists) may solve your problem…. or not. You can always uninstall and reinstall the keyboard drivers from manufacturer site. But since you've already noticed beneficial use of canned-air to remedy other key-problems, it's a good bet that something is still under there.
ok, THX…I can't find separate drivers for the keyboard. There doesn't seem to be anything blocking either key…they feel normal. THX
Go here:
http://www.pc-ap.fujitsu.com/support/drv_lifebook.html
Then Select your specific model and operating system.
You will then be presented with a list of Drivers available, including Chipset Device Drivers.

As to the "feel" of a blocked key. I doubt you would be able to "feel" the difference, or rather if you could then it would be clear that the physical obstruction was located nearby.

More likely, any physical obstruction is located away from, but on the printed circuit path of the key.
That's why you may need to get the manual and learn how to lift the keyboard assembly.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI