This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Norton Anti-Virus Security Pop-Up WON'T STOP

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have Symantec SystemWorks 2003 Professional Edition on my XP. My subscription has expired, so, as one would expect, I get a security warning pop-up saying my virus definitions are not up to date. But what's not expected is that the pop-up keeps popping up every few seconds!

[external image: Posted Image]

I've tried disabling the auto live update feature, but this does not work. (I've also tried disabling the auto-protect feature, but that didn't work either, and obviously I want auto-protect on.)

[external image: Posted Image]

This makes using my computer next to impossible. I'm ready to uninstall the darned program.

Please help!

Thanks.
Hi there Dell 4500s XP :)

Yeah Norton have the habit of turning on you when you don't renew. I like to joke that Norton itself is like a virus.
Norton can prove to be quite hard to remove, if one doesn't know where to look…

But Symantec have made a tool to remove there product!!!! B)
(Gives alittle clue about the nature of this program)

It can be found here: LINK
Download the approiate tool for your version.

Otherwise, if you don't want to get rid of the endless pop-ups, warnings etc etc, you have to pay/repay for the program.

Regards Abydos

Disclaimer: Any opinions stated here are on my own behalf, and doesn't represent any other than myself. There, just to be sure my head isn't ripped off :D
Well stated Abydos. :thumbup: I might also add, that the various attempt to disable the pop-ups mentioned by Dell 4500s XP are hazardous. Recommendation: Renew Norton/Symantec, or use the linked uninstall tool before replacing Norton/Symantec with other good tools.
Thanks all. I was forced to uninstall SystemWorks. Now I'm wondering what other anti-virus software I should install, as I'm quite disenchanted with Symantec. Are there any free trials I should check out? Thanks again.

Are there any free trials I should check out?

Thanks again.


Hi again DELL 4500s XP

The two I would recommend to try out, is AVG Antivirus and Avast. They have different strengths, but are equally good in my opinion.

AVG Antivirus can be downloaded from here: LINK

Avast from here: LINK

With Avast, you have to register for a product key, but its still free and the program-key lasts for 14 months, by which time you have to renew it, still free of charge.

You can try them both out, and see which one you like. Just remember to only have one active Antivirus program at any given time. Otherwise they would conflict, and actually give you a poorer defense.

Regards Abydos

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI