Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

IE8, C-MOTECH RDEVCHG & Computer Crashes

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Selina

Selina

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:12 PM

Windows Vista Home Premium Edition & IE8 Hello, A couple of days ago, while only using IE8, I started experiencing my computer crashing and closing down within 1 to 2 minutes from opening IE. I was on Facebook when this happened and posted a note to other members asking if they are experiencing the same problem. A couple people replied...YES. I found later that when my daughter was on Facebook she received a warning while trying to open a game called YoVille, the warning came from my McAfee anti-virus and said "This site is tagged for phishing and should be closed". I've used the Microsoft IE Fix It software and the problem still exists. I've ran McAfee full scan, Ad-Aware and Windows Defender and found nothing wrong. I am now getting a message at start up stating.....C-motech RDEVCHG...not responding....Run Time Device Change. I also went into add/remove programs trying to uninstall IE but it says it can't find it. Can you also tell me how to uninstall IE? I am now using Firefox. Any advice is most appreciated. Thanks so much, Selina
Best Wishes,
Selina :)
Your Responses Are Always Very Much Appreciated!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:59 AM

Selina, Do you use a wireless Sprint modem card with that machine? CMOtech is a USB wireless modem. You may have it in your startup file and it is giving you trouble because it has been unable to establish a connection. Will you please confirm yes or no, that you use a cellular wireless to access the Internet. Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 Selina

Selina

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:25 PM

Doug, I am not sure. How would I find out if I do or not? I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop that came with wireless capabilities. I did download Sprint Smartview software so I can access the internet through my cell phone when traveling on business, cell phone carrier is Sprint. The wirless connection I use at home is Netgear. Sorry I can't answer that question and will look into how I can find out, until you respond. Thanks so much
Best Wishes,

#4 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:43 PM

Most often when an application software becomes corrupted or begins throwing Stop Error Warnings such as you describe as: C-motech RDEVCHG...not responding....Run Time Device Change..

The easiest and most likely to succeed procedure is to uninstall and re-install the specific software or drivers.

In this case, you would probably benefit from using Add-Remove to uninstall your Sprint Smartview software and then freshly install the same Sprint Smartview software.

Note: if you do uninstall and re-install Sprint Smartview software, you will likely have to reconfigure the TCP/IP settings according to the instructions you received with the software or via Tech Support from your Sprint provider. (I don't think there is any way around that, and I hope you have sufficient printed installation instructions to complete the task, or else you will need to contact Sprint)
_______________________-

As a temporary measure, you could possibly "disable" Sprint Smartview software from your System Configuration Utility - Startups

Start - Run - (type)msconfig - StartUps(tab)
Search the list of Startup applications and processes.
Remove the checkmark/tick from in front of each related item
At the bottom of the MSCONFIG panel, select - Apply - the allow the screen prompts to cause your machine to Reboot.

Now your machine will most likely not throw up that C-motech RDEVCHG...not responding....Run Time Device Change, warning since it will not be started automatically.

However, you will also not be able to use your mobile cell internet modem feature, until you successfully uninstall and reinstall the Sprint Smartview software.

This could amount to be a small amount of work, or a large amount of work requiring interaction with your Sprint Provider.
Only way to find out is to give the instructions above a try.

Best Regards

#5 Selina

Selina

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:26 PM

Doug, Thank you and I will follow your instructions. With doing this will it also stop my computer from crashing, dump files and shutting down? I will let you know of the results.
Best Wishes,

#6 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:34 PM

With doing this will it also stop my computer from crashing, dump files and shutting down?

From the information that you have supplied so far, the answer is yes.

It appears that C-motech is attempting to complete an internet connection and failing and timing out.
Thus the Error Report.

If there are "other" issues, you will have to provide information about the symptoms that are troubling the machine, and what applications you are using at the time.

Both IE 8 and Firefox are browsers, therefore would be influenced by a failure of C-motech.
But ordinarily both IE 8 and Firefox would only show a "Cannot make connection" 404 error, instead of crashing.

Are you able to connect this laptop to the internet via your Netgear Router?
Wirelessly?
via Ethernet?

Please first disable anything in the StartUps that is related to Sprint Smartview software.
Then give us a report about how your machine is performing, and particularly how it is performing with browsing via IE 8 and/or Firefox on the internet via wireless netgear or ethernet connected netgear.

Best Regards

#7 Selina

Selina

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:52 PM

Doug: I've been working on the internet both through IE & Firefox for a while now. My computer has not crashed or gave a C-motech error. However, my computer did get stuck 1 time, where I had to shut it down manually and re-start to get it to work. Not sure if this got stuck because I had too many web pages open, the internet was the only thing I was working on. But it's not creating a dump file screen and then crashing. I can access the internet through a wireless connection via my Netgear router. Thanks again for all your help. If anything comes up or if I now experience the computer getting stuck where I have to manually shut it down can I contact you through this topic, or do you want me to create another?
Best Wishes,

#8 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:55 PM

That's great work, Selina!
Congratulations.

Yes, this Topic Thread will remain open.
I am "subscribed" to the Topic, so I will be notified if/when you post additional information.
Feel free to post back here as needed.

We can decide then, if the topic of your concern is different enough to warrant a New Topic.

I will be interested to hear how things work out with your Sprint mobile wireless, once you decide to use that again.

I would also suggest a general overview survey of your machine components and functionality.
A great way to get a sense of how your machine is running is to use the PCPitstop Full Tests "OverDrive"
http://www.pcpitstop.com

Register and create a password.
Run the Overdrive
When you get your Results, you can copy/past the URL (address in your address bar) and post it back here into this Topic Thread.
I'll walk through the components and functions with you.
There may be some factors identified that contribute to your "crashing"

Let me know if you wish to do that.
It certainly isn't required at this time, but it is a great way to find out about your machine.
(PCPitstop Overdrive does not look at, nor display any of your personal information or files.)

Best Regards

#9 Selina

Selina

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:23 AM

Doug,

Unfortunately my computer is still creating a dump file and crashing; however I do not see the C-motech error. When the dump file is created it tells me that there is a software or hardware issue that is interfering with my operating system. It does not matter what is open, IE8, Firefox, Quick Books, Microsoft Word, or nothing open at all. I followed your instructions and went to pcpitstop.com, registered and ran the Overdrive utility. Below is the link for the results.

http://www.pcpitstop...;report=Summary

Once again, thank you. :) ........pretty soon I may be :pullhair:
Best Wishes,

#10 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:37 AM

a software or hardware issue that is interfering with my operating system.

Next time your system crashes and gives you a Stop Error or Warning, please write it down with pencil and paper, then type it "exactly and fully" into your next reply..... yes, all those annoying letters and numbers. as well as the plain language text.

There is another way we can get at that information via Event Viewer, but we will not use that just yet.

I'll be right back with some rather broad and general suggestions for you to consider.

Best Regards

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 Selina

Selina

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:23 PM

Doug, I may need to use the Event Viewer, because when the computer goes to a dump file screen it is only up for about 30 seconds or so before it shuts down, and there's a lot of information on that screen. So I will try my best but may not be able to capture all the information shown.
Best Wishes,

#12 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:49 PM

Hi Selina,

I don't have a Vista machine on my bench right now to confirm, so I can't give your "exact" instructions.
However, it is possible to set Vista such that it doesn't automatically Reboot.

Two different methods.

Reboot machine
Immediately begin tapping F8 key until the Boot Options Panel is displayed.
You will see such options as:
Save Mode
Save Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with command prompt
Last Known Good Configuration
Turn off Windows Automatic ReStart
Normal Mode

Please select - "Turn Off Window Automatic Restart" (or Automatic Reboot)

or

Boot Normally into Windows Vista
Right-Click on My Computer / Windows Explorer
Select - Properties
Select - Advanced
Select - Startup and Recovery - Settings
Remove the checkmark/tick from in from of "Automatically Restart
Press OK to exit the panel (or press "Apply' if that is an option)
Also "agree" with the various warnings the Vista UAC may throw at you to allow the action.

Now if you have completed one of the two procedures above....
The next time your machine crashes, it will display the Blue Screen and stay there long enough for you to read it.
You can exit the Blue Screen with ctlr-alt-del (twice) or using Task Manager - Restart

#13 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:00 AM

Selina,

You have a fine Laptop which should serve your needs very nicely.
Lotsa stuff is said negative about Vista, but it has proven itself to be stable and effective, compatible now with Drivers and Applications.

However, Vista has a multitude of "features" that may depress performance by draining a significant amount of System Resources (CPU and RAM)

Having stated the above, your machine is running at high consumption of System Resources, even while in the resting state.
Therefore, if you begin using various of your applications such as QuickBooks and IE, and Customer contact Manager, and Adobe, there may not be sufficient System Resources to run all of that or even a few, while still supporting the background processes of Vista and other applications.

The result would be periodic crashing.

I will recommend a list of items that you presently have installed on your machine, that are not "necessary" but which are nonetheless consuming significant amounts of System resources, and possibly contributing to the "crashes".

The place to start is with apparent "vulnerabilities" and then we'll move to "conflicts", and then to "resource hogs"

Vulnerabilities:

Your JAVA Runtime Environment is out-of-date
All of the old JAVA SE and J2SE and JRE items "need" to be uninstalled from your machine.
Then you "need" to download and install the most recent JRE 6 Update 17 - here: http://java.sun.com/...loads/index.jsp

Adobe Shockwave should be uninstalled, and the latest Adobe Shockwave Player version 11.5.2.602, should be installed
here: http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/

Conflicts:
You have McAfee, Windows Security Essentials, and Ad-Aware AV/AS
You should only have (1) one Antivirus running active on a machine.

If I was to make a recommendation, I'd suggest your keep Windows Security Essentials and uninstall McAfee, and uninstall or disable Ad-Aware AV/AS

You may have subscribed and paid good money for your McAfee, but it is a notorious "resource hog" and could be contributing to the crashes all by itself.
With the (3) three security utilities installed, they are battling it out in the background without you even knowing it, while your are attempting to get work done with your on-screen windows and applications.
I'd recomend to keep Windows Security Essentials (its free and well regarded)
Your call/your choice

I don't recognize SightSpeed Firewall. Vista already has a native firewall. Unless you are very familiar with SightSpeed Firewall and know it to be a legitimate and well functioning utility you may benefit from uninstalling it.

Resource Hogs:

Browser Toolbars can conflict with one another and hog system resources.
You have more toolbars than I ever would have.
I do use Google Toolbar, but don't allow any others.
Your choice:

Google toolbar for internet Explorer
MSN Toolbar
Windows Live Favorites Toolbar
Download Updater (AOL LLC)
AIM Toolbar 5.0
Ask Toolbar 1.5.1.0
(I realize you may prefer to keep some of these, particularly if you frequently use IM)

Auto-updaters are generally not necessary, at least not necessary to run at Startup.
QuickBooks Auto update
Sun Java Auto Update
HP Software auto Update

I don't recognize the following:

FTP Surfer – Whisper Technology Limited
SupportSoft Assisted Service
Magic Buttons Hi Tek Internet Software
Computrace – Absolute Software Inc.

Questionable:

Virtual Earth 3D (beta) 3.0.808.29001 <-- a beta version, do you use it?

Dell Support Center (disable only) <-- I almost always disable this. Do you use Dell Technical Support?

Adobe Reader and Adobe Aire a huge programs, have recently been having vulnerabilities, and do hog resources.

I use Foxit PDF reader instead of Adobe.
Foxit PDF Reader will do everything you use Adobe Reader for, but with a "smaller footprint".

I hope the above gives you some ideas to start paring down the load on your machine and reclaiming it for how you wish to use it.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Best Regards

#14 Selina

Selina

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:14 AM

Doug: Sorry I haven't been able to respond sooner and again THANK YOU for all your time and support. I have printed out and will follow your recommendations and will report back. I have some questions first: 1.) Adobe Shockwave - I looked under the control panel, uninstall programs/software section and wanted to ask if this would be called something else. There isn't a program/software under that name. 2.) McAfee was pre-installed with this computer at purchase. If I uninstall it how do I get Windows Security Essentials to take over as my virus/malware protector. When I disable McAfee the Windows Security screen pops up and says I'm not protected and only gives me McAfee and Adware to choose from. 3.) SupportSoft Assisted Service and Computrace - Absolute Software Inc. I cannot find on my computer, even through the search box. Do you know another way for me to find these? 4.) Dell Support Center - I do use this only when needed for a Dell problem. I did disable it at Start Up. 5.) Internet Explorer gives me an error message "Internet Explorer has stopped working" and shuts down or recaptures the page more times than not when I use it. Could this be contributed to the list of things you gave me? From my last email my computer has not crashed and may be because I uninstalled Google Desktop software that kept giving me an error message "Google Desktop could not be opened" at start up. Since I uninstalled it the computer hasn't crashed but have noticed that applications are working weird. Whatever I'm working on, be it internet, word, quickbooks, etc.....my cursor and what I see on the screen shows up at the top in the toolbar for that page and I have to minimize and resize the page to get it to look normal.
Best Wishes,

#15 Selina

Selina

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:21 PM

Doug: I did most of what you suggested except for the following with reasons and questions. 1.) Adobe Shockwave - I looked under the control panel, uninstall programs/software section and wanted to ask if this would be called something else. There isn't a program/software under that name. 2.) McAfee was pre-installed with this computer at purchase. If I uninstall it how do I get Windows Security Essentials to take over as my virus/malware protector. When I disable McAfee the Windows Security screen pops up and says I'm not protected and only gives me McAfee and Adware to choose from. 3.) SupportSoft Assisted Service and Computrace - Absolute Software Inc. I cannot find on my computer, even through the search box. Do you know another way for me to find these? Thank you :)
Best Wishes,