This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Programs Crash Continuously

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I don't know what is wrong with my computer. It's a Dell Inspiron 600m, running Windows XP Home. It's been giving me problems for a few weeks now, and I'm at a loss. Pretty much every program on the computer will crash if left open for 5-10 minutes, some of them crash almost instantly. For example, Internet explorer and Firefox will usually work for a few minutes before becoming non-responsive. Same thing with Word, Powerpoint, and Excel. uTorrent will work, but not make any connections, and then crash after a few minutes of attempting to establish a connection. Pidgin will only connect to half of my accounts, and then crash. Windows Media play, Media Monkey, and Outlook crash instantly. It seems the only program that *doesn't* crash is my anti virus, AVG Free. I've used ATI Cleaner to clear all my temp stuff, and yes, it crashed, luckily after I'd cleared the files. It crashed when I went to close. I've run scans with AVG and Malwarebytes (which didn't crash, yea!) and both came back spotless. Some other pieces of useful, maybe relevant information. A program called CLayoutHostWnd goes non-responsive every time I shut down, and has to be forced to quit. A .NET Framework update has been sitting in my update manager for quiet a while, and refused to install. When I networked my computers, I shared the entire C drive. I noticed that I still show the remnants of an old user account that I deleted forever ago, and doesn't show up under User accounts on my computer, only under the network places of my other computer. When trying to change my startup options in msconfig, I get an Access Denied error message stating that I may need to log in as an Admin. My account is the Admin account, and should be the only account, and after restarting the computer, the changes had been implemented. Strange… That's all I can think of for now. I really have no idea what's going on with it… My Dell's never given me any problems, and I'm very frustrated. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Take a read through this and then start a fresh thread in this forum and post accordingly. Please don't forget to include a brief description of your problem, and somebody will be along as soon as.
Helpers look for posts with zero replies which is why you need to start afresh and why i'll lock this one.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI