Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Programs wont respond and Puter Freezes

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 infinite1

infinite1

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:39 PM

:pullhair: Recently I am have problems with programs not responding. Specifically IE and outlook but also at times (less frequently) some commercial software packages. This puter has been running problem free until about a month ago. At first I thought it may have been Malware and I have had assistance from malwareremoval.com and after extensive scans and processes they told me the puter is CLEAN.
Here is a link to the logs if you wish to view
http://www.malwarere...o...=11&t=52644

I have run the pc pitstop check and here is the link
http://pcpitstop.com...?conid=23789706

Can somebody please help me as the puter freezes for minutes at a time. Sometimes I have to reset it and it seems to be getting worse ! I am thinking that maybe the problem is either software conflicts or hardware???

Thank You

Have since run windiag andmemtest86ver 4.10 and no errors

Edited by infinite1, 09 August 2010 - 01:16 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 rshaffer61

rshaffer61

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:03 AM

:welcome: infinite1

Lets take a look at a few things and see what we can find.

Please consider running this simple utility that will help you get control of programs and processes that you wish to have running active, or not.

CodeStuff-Starters
http://www.snapfiles...et/Starter.html

Download and install, agreeing to the licensing terms and allow to install with all of the default settings as preselected in the installation wizard.

When you finally allow CodeStuff-Starters to run
It will preselect StartUps Tab -
  • Click on File
  • Select - save as .Plain Text (name the report file - Startups.txt

In your next reply, post the file as an attached file (use browse and upload buttons -- at the bottom-right corner of your topic posting window where you are typing your next reply)

Please do not make any changes with Code-Stuff Starters, until after you post the requested information above and receive recommendations from a helper here.

Best Regards
[/quote]

Edited by rshaffer61, 09 August 2010 - 08:04 AM.

Auslogics Defrag | JkDefrag l TweakUIXP l WhoCrashed l Norton Removal Tool l Avast l Malwarebytes l SuperAntiSpyware l ATF (This program is for XP, Vista and Windows 2000 only) l FireFox l How To Make FireFox Faster l Memtest86 l Setting Up Memtest86 l Burncdcc l Revo Uninstaller l HDClone l Unlocker l CpuZ l AutoRuns l JavaRa l HD Diagnostics l Erunt l Puppy Linux l Everest l Comodo Firewall l Avira l TFC l Speccy l

Please do not pm me with questions about your topic. Post your questions here so others may learn. If I do not respond to your thread for a long period then please pm me as real life may have kept me away.

rshaffer61

#3 infinite1

infinite1

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:30 PM

Just a small comment. Is it possible that outlook could cause these problems? Something I didnt mention previously is that the problem is worse with Outlook running AND I am geeting corruptions in my pst file. I run scanpst.exe and it corrects the errors (according to thet utility ) and they keep coming back. Thanks for looking at my problem. Regards Ben

Attached Files

#4 rshaffer61

rshaffer61

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:28 PM

OK now lets check your startups and see if we can drop some of these programs from running. This next program will allow you to do some of the work before I give you any further instructions. Post the log from it and i will double check it with you Startuplist and give you further instructions to get rid of some non-needed startups. Then we will start cleaning up your system even more in my next response also.
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Auslogics Defrag | JkDefrag l TweakUIXP l WhoCrashed l Norton Removal Tool l Avast l Malwarebytes l SuperAntiSpyware l ATF (This program is for XP, Vista and Windows 2000 only) l FireFox l How To Make FireFox Faster l Memtest86 l Setting Up Memtest86 l Burncdcc l Revo Uninstaller l HDClone l Unlocker l CpuZ l AutoRuns l JavaRa l HD Diagnostics l Erunt l Puppy Linux l Everest l Comodo Firewall l Avira l TFC l Speccy l

Please do not pm me with questions about your topic. Post your questions here so others may learn. If I do not respond to your thread for a long period then please pm me as real life may have kept me away.

rshaffer61

#5 infinite1

infinite1

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:09 PM

had a problem with this. IE kept freezing and wouldnt upload file ! :(

Attached Files

#6 rshaffer61

rshaffer61

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:54 PM

Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "Acrobat Assistant 8.0"
X "Adobe Acrobat Speed Launcher"
X "Adobe ARM"
+ "NeroFilterCheck"
+ "NvCplDaemon"

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

rshaffer61

#7 infinite1

infinite1

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:48 PM

almost completed last lot . What do you want me todo when that is finished? I see the outer is a bit quicker starting but the same problem exists Regards Ben

#8 rshaffer61

rshaffer61

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:19 PM

Let me know if there is any improvement. I will include the next instructions from there.

rshaffer61

#9 infinite1

infinite1

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:08 PM

The system is loading faster and when its not frozen its also a lot quicker. However I am still having periods of the software not responding so its not sorted. Thanks and Regards Ben

#10 rshaffer61

rshaffer61

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:32 PM

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

rshaffer61

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 infinite1

infinite1

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:33 PM

speedfan results as requested Just as a by the way. If you hold down Alt and hit print screen it prints just the box on top Regards Ben

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan.JPG

#12 rshaffer61

rshaffer61

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:39 AM

Temps and voltages look good. Another suggestion that was made is the following.

In your posted results for PCPitstop Overdrive

Click on Software(tab) then click on Processes (sub tab)

That will show you pretty much the same as CodeStuff Starters, and/or a very abbreviated AutoRuns report.

Notice in the "gray" unknown items... StorageCraft Volume Snapshot and two instances of ShadowProtect.

Can be Disabled via MSCONFIG - Startups

The suggestion is to disable the ShadowProtect Desktop via Msconfig Startups

Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything that references Shadow Protect and restart.
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem

Post back with the results

Edited by rshaffer61, 10 August 2010 - 12:49 PM.

rshaffer61

#13 infinite1

infinite1

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:48 AM

A friend found a problem with IE and I have unistalled IE8 and am running IE7 and the problem seems to be gone. If we reinstall IE8 the problem comes back ! He also commented about Shadowprotect. I have gone into msconfig and no instances of shadow protect appear there. It is a holiday here and we have not used the puter much at all and its difficult to say if its behavingh now or not. What would you like to do from here??? Oh and thanks so much for your efforts so far ! Regards Ben

#14 infinite1

infinite1

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:54 AM

Please note that storage craft does NOT appear in startup in msconfig. It does appear in services tab though !

Edited by infinite1, 11 August 2010 - 03:18 AM.

#15 infinite1

infinite1

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:17 AM

Nope still not right but much better. When I load IE sometimes the cpu works its butt off and takes ages to free up. I have had a process OFFLB.exe running in task manager but no error messages. :(

Edited by infinite1, 11 August 2010 - 03:17 AM.