This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

error404.com Hijacker. help?

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I don't have long before this laptop gets reformatted anyhow, but I have an issue.

I was browsing for images of a city when all the sudden my PC locked up and a exe called SPOOLS.EXE or something close forced itself to run on my computer. Then it was attacked by various malware hidden in tmp files ( I use opera browser.)

I ran some anti virus and anti malwarebyte and also Combofix, and it seemed to get rid of most of it, but now I get this weird browser behavior.

Every so often while on the internet, it opens a new tab (as if it were trying to open a new window. Thank god for tabs) and it redirects me to a site called
http://error404.com/index.php
…It's annoying and I don't know if it's a symptom of a much larger problem. It did that before, so I guess the antivirus didn't get rid of it.

If you can help me get rid of this quickly today, that'd rock.
Take a read through this and then start a fresh thread in this forum and post accordingly. Please don't forget to include a brief description of your problem, and somebody will be along as soon as.
Helpers look for posts with zero replies which is why you need to start afresh and why i'll lock this one.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI