Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91702 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Pogo game site

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Narrisah

Narrisah

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:31 PM

I like to play games at the pogo game site. Recently a player in one of the rooms stated that they no longer go into rooms that have tables because their computer was hacked by another player sitting at the table. They said they were in one of the Pool (billiards) rooms and went to a table where another player told them that if they didn't send a pic they were going to hack their computer. She said she did not send them anything but the next day her computer was all messed up. Is that actually possible for another player at the same game site as you to have any access to your computer?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:28 PM

Possible? That's a tough question. There are many, many, many variables involved to answer that question. And, there is no way for anybody here to answer that question definitively. However, I can say that the chances of that actually happening are probably like about %.0000000000000000039. There are so many layers of security something like that would have to go through its so close to impossible that its not even worth talking about. Whoever told you that is either a serious jokester or completely dillusional. :)

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#3 Narrisah

Narrisah

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:28 AM

Thank You i didn't think was very likely to happen but didn't want to tell her unless i checked with an expert first. This is the best site i've been to for helping with computer problems or getting answers to questions. You Rock! Sincerely, Narrisah

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:34 AM

As Appleoddity states.... many, many variables.
Most likely is that your friend did not communicate the "whole" story.

To get to the social engineering point of: "Send me your picture.", there was likely some "warm-up" interaction such as: "Here's some other cool sites to visit" "Check this out", "Here's my picture.", etc. some of which your friend may have followed to their detriment.

Of course it is important to have sensible security installed and regularly run on your computer.
Read here for a good beginning: http://forums.whatth...ing_t98700.html

But even the best security is defeated if the owner/user opens the front door for potential bad-guys.
Practice "safe-hex": Don't click on opportunistic links nor accept downloads or links from untrustworthy sources.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.