This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Display Problem - don't think its a virus?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

This just started today - I'm currently operating under Safe Mode w/ networking. When booting up everything seems to go fine. Within a minute or two of processing all the start up items, my mouse will lose the ability to move vertically (sometimes the pointer changes into a large color block). Then the screen will start to change colors picture completely gone (just lines of color - sometimes constantly changing) then sometimes it will try to reboot on its own. It happened first while I was in Microsoft Outlook - don't know if I opened an email with a virus or if some how my settings got messed up, or if the display is going bad? (Shouldn't it is a Samsung and barely over a year old) Any thoughts you guys have really helped me in the past. Thanks
What is the exact Samsung model?

What is listed as your Display Device in the Device Manager?

(right click My Computer then click Manage then Device Manager then the + next to Display Device.


Also you could try Safe Mode then opt for System Restore.


…
Sorry I was not clearer. I thought your computer was a Samsung. Monitors generally require no drivers. What is listed under Display adapters? And what is the exact make and model of the computer?

Sorry I was not clearer. I thought your computer was a Samsung.

Monitors generally require no drivers.

What is listed under Display adapters?

And what is the exact make and model of the computer?



Computer: HP M470N

Display Adapters: RADEON 9200 Series
RADEON 9200 Series - Secondary
Please go to System Restore and set a Restore Point:

start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore > Create a Restore Point.

Then go to the Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > ATI > Remove > Graphics drivers only.

Then restart your computer and re-load these drivers from HP:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar…228&lang=en

If you subsequently have any new issues boot into Safe Mode options (F8) and opt to restore to that Restore Point.
Things seem to be working better - Occasionally it the screen will go black with a floating box that says I should set the resolution to 1440 x 900 @ 60 Megaherts for optimal results. I've checked and that is what my display is set to. Any thoughts
You could try changing it to a lower resolution and then after a bit re-set it to the optimal. Control Panel > Display > Advanced Often "toggling" settings can clear up mysterious issues.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI