Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Gmail.com no longer loading in browsers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 s0nginmyheart

s0nginmyheart

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:37 PM

Hi, This morning www.gmail.com would no longer load for me on my work computer. It was working fine in the morning and stopped somewhere after 10a. Our work uses gmail so I know it wasn't blocked intentionally. It does not seem to load in IE 8 or Firefox 3.5.3. I also just downloaded Google Chrome and it would not load there either. The weird part is that my co-workers computer is able to load Gmail. I've tried re-setting the router. I've done a clear cache, and also a friend suggested I do this through the command prompt which I did. I also called RCN (our cable service provider) and they had me do a winsock reset via command prompt but that did not fix the problem. They said they couldn't help me trouble shoot any further. I have AVS Antivirus 8.5.421 installed and didn't see anything being "blocked" under advanced settings. Can anyone help me fix this? Many thanks in advance...

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:01 PM

I'm guessing your work uses separate accounts for each worker so that they can log-in on any computer with their respective priviliges. If that is the case, what happens if you log-in on a different computer other than the problematic one and try to access Gmail? Try it from your co-workers computer which has already worked for his account (well you said worked on his computer but I'm assuming it as his account) but this time log-in with yours.

If you had AVS before the problem and it worked fine then I doubt the problem is your anti-virus however you may as well test it just in case. To test if AVS is causing the problem, close out AVS Antivirus first and then accessing gmail. Sometimes closing an anti-virus program won't completely shut down it's real-time protection functions so if there is any disable or turn off functions on AVS use those before exiting. If your computer savvy a brief check of your processes in the task manager would help you make sure you've completely turned it off. Make sure to turn your Anti-Virus back on once your done testing =).

Also, every effect has a cause, something had to have caused gmail to stop working sometime during the morning, do you remember any changes at all in the computer prior to 10am? Changes being anything you did to it, anything anyone else might possibly have done to it, or any other changes you noticed in the computer itself.

Can you access any other popular e-mail websites such as hotmail or juno?

Lastly, could you describe the problem a bit better. Instead of "gmail will not load" how about what is displayed when you try to access it. Is it simply "This Page Will Not Display" or any other error or message?

EDIT: I noticed that you have some old but open infections removal topics. Forum rules require us to only help you once they are completed. Due to their dates though I'm guessing that they have been resolved elsewhere or else this is a different machine. If that is the case then you should follow my directions otherwise please wait until you have resolved your threads.
Your Infection Removal Threads (2nd and 5th)
http://forums.whatth...ult_type=topics

Edited by Vectris, 20 October 2009 - 10:11 PM.

The internet's most useful tool, Google.

"Life's like a game of Poker, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose" - Garfield

#3 s0nginmyheart

s0nginmyheart

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:57 AM

Hi, thanks for your reply. After much frustration and some research I found out that it was an RCN problem in my area (Chicago). They had me change the DNS numbers to fix the issue. But Gmail actually started to load about 10 seconds before he had me change it. He said we needed to change it anyway because it wasn't pulling up the right DNS numbers... He mentioned it was a problem for residential customers and that commercial customers shouldn't have been affected. But everything is seemingly back to normal now! Thanks---