This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Sporadic Boot Failure

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I'm Nahumi and I've just signed up to this forum to try and solve a problem of mine. Before I start, here are my specs: Manufacturer : Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo PA2510 OS : Windows Vista SP2 32-Bit CPU : Amd Athlon 64 X2 4200+ HDD : Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB HD RAM : 4GB OCZ 800Mhz RAM Graphics Card : XFX Nvidia 9800 GTX+ Black Edition Everything except the motherboard, CPU , case and the CD drive has been replaced. The Problem: A couple of days ago I went to start up my PC. It seemed to boot okay until it hit the "Welcome" screen. It would then hesitate for a couple of seconds before shutting down and rebooting. As per usual, I would be given the option to reboot in Safe Mode. I tried that and couldn't find anything wrong, so I made sure I put boot logging on. I then went to start it up normally and it was no problem for the next 6 boots. Then today it failed to boot again, in exactly the same way as last time. One thing I noticed when my PC booted up is that the screen was much dimmer, which to me sounds like a driver problem. My Nvidia drivers are set to make the screen a little brighter and more vibrant, something which it wasn't doing on these failed boots. I then had a look in the boot logs and sure enough there is a long list of drivers which aren't loading. If it helps I can post the boot logs, although it is rather long. As far as I'm aware I've got all the updates and I haven't had any other problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Nahumi
Hi Nahumi,and Welcome to WTT forums :welcome: Sorry to hear of the problem with your machine. 1 Has the machine been working OK up until recently? 2 Have you or anyone who uses your machine, installed/uninstalled either hardware or software immediately prior to the problem starting? 3 Do you have Windows update set to "auto update"? 4 Did you or anyone who uses the machine, install any Windows Updates either manually or automatically just prior to the problem starting? 5 Have you tried resetting to a System Restore Point made prior to the trouble starting? Post back with your comments and we will advise the next steps Regards paws
Hey, thank you for the quick reply. 1 : The PC has been working relatively okay up until now. A few programs have crashed and I had to fix a service hang error a few weeks ago (HP drivers were messing up). I'm also having errors with keyboard drivers, which has resulted in having to replace my keyboard. 2 : As far as I know there hasn't been any new hardware or software additions for at least 3 months. 3 : Windows is set to "auto update" 4 : There were some major automatic updates on the 14th of October, which was just before I started having the problems: KB975467 KB890830 KB971486 KB905866 KB974306 KB974470 KB973709 KB972581 KB974455 KB974810 KB974234 KB974571 KB973525 KB975517 KB972363 KB954155 They were all part of security package I think. 5 : I haven't tried a System Restore. I'll do it now and post back the results. Edit : Okay, did a full System Restore from the 10th, which is 4 days before those updates. It booted up okay and there doesn't seem to be any problems. The keyboard driver failure also seems to have cleared up. I think I'll wait to see if it gets booting problems again before I install those updates again. I'll let you know if it goes horribly wrong! :P Thanks Again!! Nahumi

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI