This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Non booting computer

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I have a 1.2mHZ AMD,1 gig memory, 80 & 120 G HDs, Raedon 9250, MS6334 mobo, which was working perfectly well yesterday. Left it on and returned in 1/2 hr, and screen was blank with no response to moving mouse. (No blank screen saver anyway). Computer would not switch off, and mains had to be switched off to turn it off. When computer is started, there is a blank screen,(Not blue), the HD light is continous (no blinking),and no boot up occurs. Still will not switch off unless the mains are switched off. On starting all the fans come on , and there is no bleeping from the mobo. I have reseated the graphics card,and also replaced it with another one to no effect (still blank screen (with a no input mesage briefly) on TFT), I have reseated the memory modules, checked all connections, removed all other PCI cards except graphics card, to no effect. CDs cannot play, and trying booting from XP disc and antivirus recovery disc does not work. Nothing happens, screen remains blank. Help !!!!!!!! Jimmi :rofl:
Hi jimmi39,

Sorry to hear of your problems. You seem to have taken most of the usual steps so it might be best to now see if you can get to a DOS prompt by using a boot disc in the floppy drive (an old Win 9X one will do fine) if you can't find a boot floppy disc then you can go here http://www.bootdisk.com/ and download one.

If there is still no joy then its time to take out your hard drive and try it in either a known working computer or alternatively use an external hard drive housing with USB connection or just an IDE/USB cable and power supply and see if your files are available …. if so back up any important files, settings, or information and check out as far as possible every connection and removable component on your mobo incl. the seating of the CPU and the CMOS battery.
Regards
paws
Thanks. The CMOS battery is well seated, and as expected the boot disc does not work. Remember its a blank screen from the momemt the computer is put on, and non of the usual info.about the computer that usually comes on (?bios info) b4 windows then loads . I have loaned out my hard disk ext.caddy , and when I get it back I try the HDs via USB port on another computer and let you know. Could this be the mobo failing ? Jimmi :wavey:
Hi jimmi39, There's a fair chance it is…. as your mobo is not even giving a beep on boot up. This may be a long shot, but as your screen is blank and black, have you tried the "wiggle" test on each end of the VGA cable/connector and as an even longer shot tried a, known to be working, VDU to see if anything different happens. Regards paws
Hi again, I have tried 2 other monitors which are presently working on other computers. (1 TFT and 1 CRF), and same blank screen. ( no output). What is the wriggle test ? Jimmi :(
Hi jimmi39 Sorry I should have been more explicit…. hold the cable by the VGA connector and flex it to see if there is a dry joint or loose connection. Do the same thing at the VDU end. If you have also tried a new, known to be working, VGA cable then I think its time to wait for the return of your ext. hard drive enclosure or start saving up for another mobo! Regards paws
Hi paws, I did use another working VDU connector when I tried it with another TFT monitor, so I don't think its the cable. The VDU connector works OK on another computer. Thanks anyway. Jimmi :scratch:
Have you tried without the HDD's? I've seen PC's making no beeps and displaying nothing because of a dead disk drive or one that isn't properly connected.
Hi jimmi39 One final thought, can you take out all your RAM and replace it with some that you can beg, or borrow from someone else, just one stick would do as a test…try it in each of the slots rebooting in between. regards paws
Hi Paws, I've tried that with RAM from my other computer, but to no avail. However when there is a memory problem you get an error message (not a blank black screen)and the Mobo gives off beeps. Ive had that problem before. Ive also replaced the CPU with another one , but the same problem exists. I think we are left with either a faulty HDD or Mobo. When I get my ext. HDD caddy back I can see if the HDs are OK. Thanks Jimmi :wtf:
Hi, I got an ext. HDDcaddy, and conected the HD via a USB port to another computer. The rks fine HD works fine and all its files are OK !! It seems its new mobo/computer time!!!! Thanks for all your suggestions Jimmi
Hi, I got a new identical mobo and installed it. It started loading the bios, and then the screen blanked out , while testing the memory,again with all the previous features, even when I restart its a blank screen.( ie no input to TFT). Ive tested the memory in another computer and it works. Any ideas anyone Thanks Jimmi39 :rant2:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI