Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

MSIMG32.dll

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TOMT

TOMT

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Family, Dragraceing

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:42 PM

:pullhair: Hi again guys, my kids PC has this issue of a lost MSIMG32.dll file, it wont go to www but Commondo can download as can MalwareBytes. or open certain programs. I run CCleaner and Malwarebytes on this machine.. Malwarebytes came up clean, but unable to run CCleaner. I have searched for a copy of this file but nothing... I have tried System Restore.. no fix. I have tried a XP recovery CD.. unable to run... Help please. Cheers
LIVE LIFE

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:43 AM

Please tell us what the error message is, word for word, and when it occurs... Thanks.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#3 TOMT

TOMT

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:45 PM

Hi there, OK the complete error message "" This application has failed to start because MSIMG32.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem"". This error comes up trying to use Firefox or Explorer or trying to open any other www shortcut, right clicking for desktop properties. I have Revo Uninstaller and that has the big red X now, MalwareBytes and Commondo can update, CCleaner tries to open but blips on the screen then gone.. Most programs apart from Revo Uninstaller that I have tried are working. I have noticed that when booting up there is now a Login Screen? we never had to login before, Also when shutting down the shutdown box is nearly invisible.. Cheers

Edited by TOMT, 17 October 2009 - 10:48 PM.

LIVE LIFE

#4 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:50 PM

There are several places there might be a copy of this file.

Search your computer for "msimg32.dll" and for "msimg32.dl_"

If you find a copy of msimg32.dll try transferring it to c:\windows\system32.

If you find a copy of msimg32.dl_ you will have to use the expand command from the command prompt:

start -> run -> type 'cmd' and press ENTER.

Type: expand <pathtofile>\msimg32.dl_ c:\windows\system32\msimg32.dll

Replace <pathtofile> with the real path to the msimg32.dl_ file.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.

#5 TOMT

TOMT

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:21 PM

Hi, well no luck there, tried searching for both and no results. I had a look in System32 and diffidently nothing there. Cheers

Edited by TOMT, 17 October 2009 - 11:27 PM.

LIVE LIFE

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:35 AM

I searched on my XP SP3 system and found it in 3 places:

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
04/14/2008 05:42 AM 4,608 msimg32.dll

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\6ca7b3a8efd5a9b6f87fff395a2eb989
08/04/2004 03:56 AM 4,608 msimg32.dll

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32
04/14/2008 05:42 AM 4,608 msimg32.dll

Are you set to show hidden files and folders? If not, that may be why you don't see the file elsewhere on your hard drive.
Open Control Panel then Folder Options and click on the View tab.
Select "Show hidden files and folders"
Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)" (click Yes when prompted)
Click Apply and OK

The first one, C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386, is from Service Pack 3. Do you have SP3 installed?

The file can also be found on the XP install CD as a compressed file: \I386\MSIMG32.DL_

You can expand it from the CD to your hard drive as Appleoddity mentioned.

expand X:\I386\MSIMG32.DL_ c:\windows\system32\msimg32.dll

X: is your CD/DVD drive letter.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#7 TOMT

TOMT

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:18 AM

Hi guys, ummm I cant find this file anywhere, I have done the show hidden files but nothing. No sp3 is not on the problem machine. I tried to find the file on the XP CD but The PC wont read any disc now... tried several other discs and nothing showed up at all Is it possible to download the missing files to a pendrive?? and load in that way?? or does the PC need a total install?? Cheers again..
LIVE LIFE

#8 TOMT

TOMT

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:58 AM

:huh: Well here is an update... Was thinking about the pendrive idea.. So I downloaded the msimg32.dll file of the net on my machine, transferred to the troubled machine with a pendrive. I then put the file into Windows \ System32 folder, and instantly the PC blippt the screen. So tried Firefox and yep all working, CCleaner opened up, all shortcuts work, DVD works.. Am at the moment doing an update of Commondo, MalwareBytes etc. will do De frag etc. Tell me tho... why would this file have vanished???? Cheers
LIVE LIFE

#9 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:32 AM

Either file system damage, or malware may have attacked that file and then been deleted.

Try running a chkdsk /f from the command prompt just to make sure your file system is ok.