This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

MSIMG32.dll

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

:pullhair: Hi again guys, my kids PC has this issue of a lost MSIMG32.dll file, it wont go to www but Commondo can download as can MalwareBytes. or open certain programs. I run CCleaner and Malwarebytes on this machine.. Malwarebytes came up clean, but unable to run CCleaner. I have searched for a copy of this file but nothing… I have tried System Restore.. no fix. I have tried a XP recovery CD.. unable to run… Help please. Cheers
Hi there, OK the complete error message "" This application has failed to start because MSIMG32.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem"". This error comes up trying to use Firefox or Explorer or trying to open any other www shortcut, right clicking for desktop properties. I have Revo Uninstaller and that has the big red X now, MalwareBytes and Commondo can update, CCleaner tries to open but blips on the screen then gone.. Most programs apart from Revo Uninstaller that I have tried are working. I have noticed that when booting up there is now a Login Screen? we never had to login before, Also when shutting down the shutdown box is nearly invisible.. Cheers
There are several places there might be a copy of this file.

Search your computer for "msimg32.dll" and for "msimg32.dl_"

If you find a copy of msimg32.dll try transferring it to c:\windows\system32.

If you find a copy of msimg32.dl_ you will have to use the expand command from the command prompt:

start -> run -> type 'cmd' and press ENTER.

Type: expand \msimg32.dl_ c:\windows\system32\msimg32.dll

Replace with the real path to the msimg32.dl_ file.
Hi, well no luck there, tried searching for both and no results. I had a look in System32 and diffidently nothing there. Cheers
I searched on my XP SP3 system and found it in 3 places:

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
04/14/2008 05:42 AM 4,608 msimg32.dll

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\6ca7b3a8efd5a9b6f87fff395a2eb989
08/04/2004 03:56 AM 4,608 msimg32.dll

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32
04/14/2008 05:42 AM 4,608 msimg32.dll

Are you set to show hidden files and folders? If not, that may be why you don't see the file elsewhere on your hard drive.
Open Control Panel then Folder Options and click on the View tab.
Select "Show hidden files and folders"
Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)" (click Yes when prompted)
Click Apply and OK

The first one, C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386, is from Service Pack 3. Do you have SP3 installed?

The file can also be found on the XP install CD as a compressed file: \I386\MSIMG32.DL_

You can expand it from the CD to your hard drive as Appleoddity mentioned.

expand X:\I386\MSIMG32.DL_ c:\windows\system32\msimg32.dll

X: is your CD/DVD drive letter.
Hi guys, ummm I cant find this file anywhere, I have done the show hidden files but nothing. No sp3 is not on the problem machine. I tried to find the file on the XP CD but The PC wont read any disc now… tried several other discs and nothing showed up at all Is it possible to download the missing files to a pendrive?? and load in that way?? or does the PC need a total install?? Cheers again..
:huh: Well here is an update… Was thinking about the pendrive idea.. So I downloaded the msimg32.dll file of the net on my machine, transferred to the troubled machine with a pendrive. I then put the file into Windows \ System32 folder, and instantly the PC blippt the screen. So tried Firefox and yep all working, CCleaner opened up, all shortcuts work, DVD works.. Am at the moment doing an update of Commondo, MalwareBytes etc. will do De frag etc. Tell me tho… why would this file have vanished???? Cheers
Either file system damage, or malware may have attacked that file and then been deleted.

Try running a chkdsk /f from the command prompt just to make sure your file system is ok.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI