I am have been trying to fix my parents computer with no luck - here are the various problems:
1) windows police pro
2) advanced virus removal
3) enigma software
these seem to have totally hosed the computer - they use norton but it is totally disabled, along with task manager and regedit.
I was able to use a cleanup to finally get to task manager and regedit and I was able to remove the entries in for the three programs listed but I still cant run notorn to clean things up.
other mysterious files that i am unable to remove in the windows\system32 are winhelper.dll and gp8ur.dll
I can only boot into safe mode and when I try to boot normally I get the unexpected error code 1073741482 error - I saw another person with that error and ran the scan you had posted win32kdiag.exe attached are the results.
– Help!!
Kalena
Hello Kalena,
Welcome to What the Tech.
My name is OCD, I will be helping you with your log today.
Please be advised, as I am still in training, all my replies to you will be checked for accuracy by one of our experts to ensure that I am giving you the best possible advise.
This may cause a delay, but I will do my best to keep it as short as possible.
I am checking over your Win32kDiag log now, I will post back shortly with instructions.
You may want to print out these instructions for reference prior to proceeding.
This solution is specifically tailored for this particular problem, please do not attempt to use this solution on another computer.
If you have any questions, or are uncertain about any steps please ask 'before' proceeding.
- - - - - Next - - - - -
We need to run the Win32kDiag tool with the following command to fix some malware related changes.
Click on Start -> Run, and copy-paste the following command (the bolded text) into the "Open" box, and click OK:
"%userprofile%\desktop\win32kdiag.exe" -f -r
When it's finished, there will be a log called Win32kDiag.txt on your desktop. Please open it with notepad and post the contents here.
- - - - - Next - - - - -
Click Start > > Run
Type: notepad and press enter.
Once notepad is open, copy and paste the below lines into notepad.
@echo off
sc config eventlog start= disabled
del %0
Click File and click Save; save the file to your desktop. Name the file, "eventlog.bat", and if your version of Windows has a "Save as type" option, choose "All files", otherwise it will save as a text file. Once all of this has been done click the Save button and exit notepad.
Now, to run the batch file, simply double-click or run the file like any other program. It should look like this: [external image: Posted Image] Once the batch file has completed running it will close the window automatically.
- - - - - Next - - - - -
Reboot in Safe Mode with Networking:
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc.
At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode with Networking using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.
- - - - - Next - - - - -
Please download DDS from one of the following links and save it to your desktop.
In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following …
Sections
IAT/EAT
Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
Show All (don't miss this one)
Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop, and post it in your next reply.
**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<— ROOKIT" entries
- - - - - Next - - - - -
On your next post please provide the following:
Win32kDiag.txt log
Post the contents of the DDS.txt report in your next reply
Attach the Attach.txt report to your post by scroling down to the Attachments area and then clicking Browse. Browse to where you saved the file, and click Open and the click UPLOAD.