This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Excel clipboard problem

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I recently got a new laptop running XP Pro and office 2003 pro. I notice if I copy something in excel and then go to outlook and try to open a new message to post the copied info in, outlook and excel go unresponsive for about 10 minutes. Finally a blank email form opens. If I go back to excel, it has gone to a blank workbook and the workbook I had open is in the recovery pane. If I have a blank email message open, then go into excel and copy the information, I can go paste the info in the blank email with no issues. I get the same problem if I copy info in excel and then go to word and open a new document to paste into. It goes unresponsive, eventually a blank word doc opens, and the excel file goes into recovered mode. I uninstalled all of office and reinstalled. Same problem. Any thoughts? I can't find anything in the MS web site. Thanks
That's an interesting problem.

Outlook and Word have the same problem because Outlook uses Word as its default mail editor. So, when you "create a new e-mail," you are in essence opening Word. So, I would focus on Word having some sort of problem.

Usually a reinstall seems like it would fix this problem.

However, seems how you tried that I would also suggest that you install all service packs and updates for Microsoft office from microsoft.com. I believe Office 2003 is at Service Pack 3 now. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=en

I would try it from a different user account on your computer and see if the problem still persists. It could be a personal setting and will help you narrow it down. If the problem occurs in the other user account as well then it is a global setting and you can focus on that. What I mean by this statement is that there are two different places in the registry where settings would be stored. Those settings are often not removed during a reinstall. By knowing which place, you could potentially delete those settings while performing a reinstall of Office to eliminate your issue. I don't suggest that you do this without guidance as messing with the registry can cause unintended consequences.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI