Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Insane Malware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 scinco

scinco

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:36 AM

Hello, This is my first post on this forum and I hope it turns out well. A Windows XP box had the 'Security Center' malware. I still haven't determined how it got onto the box. I tried installing MalwareBytes, but the setup window closed after I had chosen the language to install it in. So, I tried installing AVG... same thing. I search online for Hijack This, get to the site and then IE closes. I ended up finding articles on the 'Security Center' malware and deleted the registry keys and files associated with this malware. It did not popup at all, even after a few reboots. So after that, I tried installing MalwareBytes and AVG, but the same thing kept happening. I started wondering why these specific programs kept closing? Later I came to the conclusion that certain words found in a window's caption will cause whatever program to close the window. I tested it by making an HTML page with 'AVG', 'malwarebytes', and 'norton'... all closed. I restarted the computer in Safe Mode w/ Networking and a few times Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt. I checked the processes (saw service.exe, svchost, and a couple of other windows programs... the list was very small though). I was making sure there wasn't any other processes running that could be causing this. I even ended a few of the system programs (had to do: shutdown /a - when it started saying the system was going to shutdown after ending certain programs). So I opened Malwarebytes again to install it and the same thing kept happening! So I thought something had infected a system file and I would never be able to get rid of this without replacing the system file. Then I do the Windows Installation repair. After it was all done, rebooted the computer, and bam! Still closes the windows w/ specific keywords in the title bar. I don't want to re-install the whole operating system just yet. I have to back up the billing files and user profiles for a specific program this computer uses. But I was wondering if anyone has experienced this Nazi-like virus/malware/spyware/annoying-the-hell-out-of-me-ware? If so, how do I get rid of it without a 12-gauge shotgun? Thanks.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Noviciate

Noviciate

Retired WTT Teacher

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 02:12 PM

Take a read through this and then start a fresh thread in this forum and post accordingly. Please don't forget to include a brief description of your problem, and somebody will be along as soon as.
Helpers look for posts with zero replies which is why you need to start afresh and why i'll lock this one.
Death to the salad eaters!