Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

[Resolved] Dell destop won't let me download/open anything

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 vanillacokeit

vanillacokeit

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:26 AM

My dell destop runs windows xp. It won't open my mcafee or download any of the programs from this site in order for me to scan the computer. Yesterday my sister ran mcafee on this computer and if found several trojan viruses and fake alerts. However mcafee couldn't delete them, she tried to go in manually to delete them put it wouldn't work either. I told her I would try to work on it today. So I came to this site to post a log and get help but my computer won't download any of the programs from this site, no longer will it open mcafee either. So I don't know where the viruses are on my computer and I don't know how to get anything open on the computer to help me find them. It also takes several tries to get the computer to shutdown. I just don't know what to do at this point.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 CatByte

CatByte

Classroom Administrator

• Classroom Admin
  • 21,060 posts
  • MVP

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:03 PM

Hi,

you may need to download these programs to another computer and transfer them to the infected PC via USB

Please do the following:

Please download exeHelper to your desktop.
  • Double-click on exeHelper.com to run the fix.
  • A black window should pop up, press any key to close once the fix is completed.
  • Post the contents of log.txt (Will be created in the directory where you ran exeHelper.com)
Note If the window shows a message that says "Error deleting file", please re-run the program before posting a log - and post the two logs together (they will both be in the one file).

NEXT

Please save this file to your desktop.
  • Click on Start > Run, and copy-paste the following command (the bolded text) into the open run box, then click OK.

"%userprofile%\desktop\win32kdiag.exe" -f -r

• When it's finished, there will be a log called Win32kDiag.txt on your desktop.
  • Please open it with notepad and post the contents here.

Microsoft MVP 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

#3 vanillacokeit

vanillacokeit

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:31 PM

I can't do anything really in normal mode so all this was done in safe mode. When I boot up in normal mode many many command prompts open and close. It won't let me open any programs at all. exeHelper by Raktor - 09 Build 20090925 Run at 15:23:59 on 09/30/09 Now searching... Checking for numerical processes... Checking for bad processes... Checking for bad files... Deleting file C:\WINDOWS\system32\desot.exe Deleting file C:\WINDOWS\ppp3.dat Deleting file C:\WINDOWS\ppp4.dat Deleting file C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysnet.dat Deleting file C:\WINDOWS\system32\sonhelp.htm Checking for bad registry entries... Removing HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{77dc0b63-1535-4ba9-8be8-d59eb676fa02} Resetting filetype association for .exe Resetting filetype association for .com Resetting userinit and shell values... Resetting policies... --Finished-- Running from: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\desktop\win32kdiag.exe Log file at : C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Win32kDiag.txt Removing all found mount points. Attempting to reset file permissions. WARNING: Could not get backup privileges! Searching 'C:\WINDOWS'... Finished! I was able to download (very surprisingly) these programs to my infected computer instead of having to transfer them.

#4 CatByte

CatByte

Classroom Administrator

• Classroom Admin
  • 21,060 posts
  • MVP

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:30 PM

Hi,

Please do the following:

Please download DDS from either of these links

LINK 1
LINK 2

and save it to your desktop.
  • Disable any script blocking protection
  • Double click dds.pif to run the tool.
  • When done, two DDS.txt's will open.
  • Save both reports to your desktop.
---------------------------------------------------
Please include the contents of the following in your next reply:

DDS.txt
Attach.txt.

NEXT

Posted Image
Download GMER Rootkit Scanner from here or here.
  • Extract the contents of the zipped file to desktop.
  • Double click GMER.exe. If asked to allow gmer.sys driver to load, please consent .
  • If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan...click on NO.

Posted Image
    Click the image to enlarge it
  • In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following ...
    • Sections
    • IAT/EAT
    • Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
    • Show All (don't miss this one)
  • Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
  • Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
  • Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop, and post it in your next reply.

**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<--- ROOKIT" entries

#5 vanillacokeit

vanillacokeit

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:09 PM

here are the logs you asked for. the first time i tried to run the scan the comp froze and had to be manually turned off.

Attached Files

• Attached File  DDS.txt   11.93KB   475 downloads
  • Attached File  Attach.txt   19.74KB   269 downloads
  • Attached File  gmer.txt   11.59KB   492 downloads

#6 CatByte

CatByte

Classroom Administrator

• Classroom Admin
  • 21,060 posts
  • MVP

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:54 PM

Hi,

Please do the following:

Download Combofix from either of the links below. You must rename it to combafix.exe before saving it.
Save it to your desktop.

**Note: In the event you already have Combofix, delete it, this is a new version that I need you to download. It is important that it is saved and renamed following this process directly to your desktop**

• If you are using Firefox, make sure that your download settings are as follows:
  • Tools->Options->Main tab
  • Set to "Always ask me where to Save the files".

Link 1
Link 2

-----------------------------------------------------------

• Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".
  • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.

• NOTE: If ComboFix asks to install the Recovery Console, please ALLOW it to do so.

• Double click on the renamed ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts. When finished, it will produce a report for you.
  • Please post the C:\ComboFix.txt so we can continue cleaning the system.

#7 vanillacokeit

vanillacokeit

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:54 PM

alright heres the log

Attached Files

#8 CatByte

CatByte

Classroom Administrator

• Classroom Admin
  • 21,060 posts
  • MVP

Posted 03 October 2009 - 02:09 PM

Hi,

Please do the following:

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. <-- very important
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Extra Note:If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts, click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

NEXT

Run an on-line scan with Kaspersky

Using Internet Explorer or Firefox, visit Kaspersky On-line Scanner

1. Click Accept, when prompted to download and install the program files and database of malware definitions.
2. To optimize scanning time and produce a more sensible report for review:
  • Close any open programs
  • Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan
3. Click Run at the Security prompt.
The program will then begin downloading and installing and will also update the database.
Please be patient as this can take several minutes.
  • Once the update is complete, click on My Computer under the green Scan bar to the left to start the scan.
  • Once the scan is complete, it will display if your system has been infected. It does not provide an option to clean/disinfect. We only require a report from it.
  • Do NOT be alarmed by what you see in the report. Many of the finds have likely been quarantined.
  • Click View scan report at the bottom.

Posted Image
  • Click the Save as Text button to save the file to your desktop so that you may post it in your next reply

In your next reply please include
  • MBAM Log
  • Kaspersky report

#9 vanillacokeit

vanillacokeit

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:37 PM

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41 Database version: 2900 Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 10/3/2009 1:42:47 PM mbam-log-2009-10-03 (13-42-47).txt Scan type: Quick Scan Objects scanned: 124617 Time elapsed: 15 minute(s), 59 second(s) Memory Processes Infected: 0 Memory Modules Infected: 0 Registry Keys Infected: 5 Registry Values Infected: 0 Registry Data Items Infected: 1 Folders Infected: 0 Files Infected: 0 Memory Processes Infected: (No malicious items detected) Memory Modules Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Keys Infected: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{77dc0b63-1535-4ba9-8be8-d59eb676fa02} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{1d4db7d2-6ec9-47a3-bd87-1e41684e07bb} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{afd4ad01-58c1-47db-a404-fbe00a6c5486} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Windows Police Pro (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\Windows Police Pro (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. Registry Values Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Data Items Infected: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. Folders Infected: (No malicious items detected) Files Infected: (No malicious items detected)

Attached Files

#10 CatByte

CatByte

Classroom Administrator

• Classroom Admin
  • 21,060 posts
  • MVP

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:45 PM

Hi,

Delete your temporary Internet files.

The rest of the items found by Kaspersky are in Quarantine, which we will be cleaning up shortly.

• Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Internet Options.
  • On the General tab, click Delete Files under Temporary Internet Files.
  • In the Delete Files dialog box, click to select the Delete all offline content check box , and then click OK.
  • Click OK.

NEXT

Please post a fresh DDS and Attach.txt and describe how the computer is running now and if there are any outstanding issues.

#11 vanillacokeit

vanillacokeit

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 12:12 PM

I havent been using the computer much but the programs are opening now. I'm not getting any weird popups and the sercurity program seems to be working better. Do you know if there is any particular webpages (i.e. facebook, aim, etc.) that would make the computer more suseptible to getting these viruses or is it just being on the internet in general? Another computer in the house is now having the same problems but my laptop isn't and I was just wondering if that could be a difference in usage or just a coincidence. (I don't use networking sites or instant messaging on my laptop). Overall this computer seems to be running much better.

Attached Files

#12 CatByte

CatByte

Classroom Administrator

• Classroom Admin
  • 21,060 posts
  • MVP

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:58 PM

Hi,

You are clean,

Please do the following:

Visit ADOBEand download the latest version of Acrobat Reader (version 9.1)
Having the latest updates ensures there are no security vulnerabilities in your system.

NEXT

Posted Image
Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system.
Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update.

• Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 and save it to your desktop.
  • Scroll down to where it says "Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 16. The Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications."
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Select the Windows platform from the dropdown menu.
  • Read the License Agreement and then check the box that says: " I agree to the Java SE Runtime Environment 6 with JavaFX License Agreement". Click on Continue.The page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation and save the file to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Now go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE or Java™ 6) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java version.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u16-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.
  • After the install is complete, go into the Control Panel (using Classic View) and double-click the Java Icon. (looks like a coffee cup)
    • On the General tab, under Temporary Internet Files, click the Settings button.
    • Next, click on the Delete Files button
    • There are two options in the window to clear the cache - Leave BOTH CheckedApplications and AppletsTrace and Log Files
  • Click OK on Delete Temporary Files Window

Note: This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE.
  • Click OK to leave the Temporary Files Window
  • Click OK to leave the Java Control Panel.

NEXT

Follow these steps to uninstall Combofix

• Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the ..X and the /U, it needs to be there.

Posted Image

NEXT

Now to remove the rest of the tools that we have used in fixing your machine:
  • Make sure you have an Internet Connection.
  • Download OTC to your desktop and run it
  • A list of tool components used in the Cleanup of malware will be downloaded.
  • If your Firewall or Real Time protection attempts to block OTC to reach the Internet, please allow the application to do so.
  • Click Yes to begin the Cleanup process and remove these components, including this application.
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.
If any logs/tools remain after using this program > right click and delete them.

NEXT

Below I have included a number of recommendations for how to protect your computer against malware infections.

• It is good security practice to change your passwords to all your online accounts on a fairly regular basis, this is especially true after an infection. Refer to this Microsoft article
    Strong passwords: How to create and use them

Then consider a password keeper, to keep all your passwords safe.
  • Keep Windows updated by regularly checking their website at :
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer.

• SpywareBlaster protects against bad ActiveX, it immunizes your PC against them.

• SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts. Make sure you are only running one real-time anti-spyware protection program ( eg : TeaTimer, Windows Defender ) or there will be a conflict.

• Make Internet Explorer more secure
    • Click Start > Run
    • Type Inetcpl.cpl & click OK
    • Click on the Security tab
    • Click Reset all zones to default level
    • Make sure the Internet Zone is selected & Click Custom level
    • In the ActiveX section, set the first two options ("Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls) to "Prompt", and ("Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe") to "Disable".
    • Next Click OK, then Apply button and then OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  • ATF Cleaner - Cleans temporary files from IE and Windows, empties the recycle bin and more. Great tool to help speed up your computer and knock out those nasties that like to reside in the temp folders.

• MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites and other bad sites. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer, meaning it will be difficult to infect yourself in the future.

WOT, Web of Trust, warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites:
    • Green to go
    • Yellow for caution
    • Red to stop
    WOT has an addon available for both Firefox and IE

• For Firefox, I highly recommend this add-on to keep your PC even more secure.
    • NoScript - for blocking ads and other potential website attacks
  • Keep a backup of your important files - Now, more than ever, it's especially important to protect your digital files and memories. This article is full of good information on alternatives for home backup solutions.
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed. The standard registry backup options that come with Windows back up most of the registry but not all of it. ERUNT however creates a complete backup set, including the Security hive and user related sections. ERUNT is easy to use and since it creates a full backup, there are no options or choices other than to select the location of the backup files. The backup set includes a small executable that will launch the registry restore if needed.
  • In light of your recent issue, I'm sure you'd like to avoid any future infections. Please take a look at these well written articles:
    Think Prevention.
    PC Safety and Security--What Do I Need?.

**Be very wary with any security software that is advertised in popups or in other ways. They are not only usually of no use, but often have malware in them.

Thank you for your patience, and performing all of the procedures requested.

Please respond one last time so we can consider the thread resolved and close it, thank-you.

#13 vanillacokeit

vanillacokeit

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:30 PM

alright thank you very much. im surprised the comp was recoverable.

#14 CatByte

CatByte

Classroom Administrator

• Classroom Admin
  • 21,060 posts
  • MVP

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:49 PM

Glad I could help you out. stay safe :wavey: ~CB

#15 CatByte

CatByte

Classroom Administrator

• Classroom Admin
  • 21,060 posts
  • MVP

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:41 AM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.