This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Another Hijacking

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Ok, this is the first I've dealt with any type of hijacking. I've spent about 7 hours trying to figure this out before I decided to look of help. I have Norton Systemworks 04, Ad-aware 6.0, a popup killer and Zone Alarm Pro but still ended up with this virus that I can't get rid of. So where do I start? I'm not that computer savvy either. Just because I can build them and most of the time repair them doesn't always mean you know what makes them tick. So here's my hijackthis file. I've run this several times and fixed the top 6 but my homepage and Win Min still won't work.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 8:51:44 PM, on 6/18/2004
Platform: Windows 2000 SP3 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\mspmspsv.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADService.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SymTray.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\Project Selector\projselector.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\RxMon.exe
C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADUserMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\Playlist.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\winnt\dllhlp.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpomau08.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
C:\Program Files\MSAC-FD1\MSSTAT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpoevm08.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Bin\hpoSTS08.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Bin\hpoFXM08.exe
C:\Program Files\STOPzilla!\Stopzilla.exe
C:\Program Files\STOPzilla!\szntsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\6I8292VD\HijackThis[1].exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer,SearchURL = http://mypoisk.com/sp.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://mypoisk.com/sp.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://mypoisk.com/index.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://mypoisk.com/index.htm
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://mypoisk.com/sp.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://mypoisk.com/index.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {E3215F20-3212-11D6-9F8B-00D0B743919D} - C:\WINNT\System32\SZIEBHO.dll
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [projselector] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\Project Selector\projselector.exe" -r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioEngineUtility] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\System\EngUtil.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioDragToDisc] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioAudioCentral] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\RxMon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BJCFD] C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SymTray - Norton SystemWorks] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SymTray.exe SetReg
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ADUserMon] C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADUserMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Iomega Drive Icons] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Deskup] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\deskup.exe /IMGSTART
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAX] "C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe" /tray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [STOPzilla] "C:\Program Files\STOPzilla!\Stopzilla.exe" /autorun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [dllhelp] c:\winnt\dllhlp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [SymTray - Norton SystemWorks] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Symtrdr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: EPSON Status Monitor 3 Environment Check.lnk = C:\WINNT\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\E_SRCV03.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: hp officejet 4100 series.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpomau08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: hpoddt01.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Memory Stick Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\MSAC-FD1\MSSTAT.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe
O9 - Extra button: Microsoft® JavaScript® Console (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: JavaScript Console (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Microsoft® JavaScript® Console (HKCU)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: JavaScript Console (HKCU)
O16 - DPF: {CA034DCC-A580-4333-B52F-15F98C42E04C} (Downloader Class) - http://www.stopzilla.com/_download/Auto_Installer/dwnldr.cab
Could you click here to download CWShredder by Merijn Bellekom and run it, hit 'fix' as opposed to 'scan only'. If you already have CWShredder, click 'Check for update' and make sure you are running version 1.59. Reboot when done.

Create a new folder called C:\HijackThis, move the HijackThis.exe file into the new folder and run it from there. This is necessary to ensure you have backups should anything go wrong.

Make sure that you have no browser windows open as this could prevent the fix from working properly. Open HijackThis, scan and when complete, remove the following entries (if still there) by checking the box to the left and clicking 'fixed checked':

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer,SearchURL = http://mypoisk.com/sp.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://mypoisk.com/sp.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://mypoisk.com/index.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://mypoisk.com/index.htm
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://mypoisk.com/sp.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://mypoisk.com/index.htm
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [dllhelp] c:\winnt\dllhlp.exe
O9 - Extra button: Microsoft® JavaScript® Console (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: JavaScript Console (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Microsoft® JavaScript® Console (HKCU)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: JavaScript Console (HKCU)

Click here, for instructions on how to enable hidden files and folders to be visible. After enabling, reboot into safe mode by tapping F8 after the BIOS has loaded, find and delete the following:

c:\winnt\dllhlp.exe

Reboot when done, rescan with HJT and post a new log here for a final check over.
Ok, I followed your instructions with the following changes. I ran my Norton virus scan again first. It didn't detect any infected files but did come up with the following high risk

bmpa.dat
dllhlp.exe
niik.dat
WinWildApp.exe

So I deleted those first. After the CWS scan it only found CWS.Jsconsole and removed it. Then the HJT scan the 09-Extra button: and Tools' I could not find. So far the system seems to be working correctly. I no longer get the Task Manager "waiting for Win Min to close" promt now. Here's my new log….

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 11:22:42 AM, on 6/19/2004
Platform: Windows 2000 SP3 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\Program Files\STOPzilla!\szntsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\mspmspsv.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADService.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SymTray.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\Project Selector\projselector.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\RxMon.exe
C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\Playlist.exe
C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADUserMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\STOPzilla!\Stopzilla.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpomau08.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
C:\Program Files\MSAC-FD1\MSSTAT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpoevm08.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Bin\hpoSTS08.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Bin\hpoFXM08.exe
C:\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {E3215F20-3212-11D6-9F8B-00D0B743919D} - C:\WINNT\System32\SZIEBHO.dll
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [projselector] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\Project Selector\projselector.exe" -r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioEngineUtility] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\System\EngUtil.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioDragToDisc] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioAudioCentral] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\RxMon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BJCFD] C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SymTray - Norton SystemWorks] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SymTray.exe SetReg
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ADUserMon] C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADUserMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Iomega Drive Icons] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Deskup] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\deskup.exe /IMGSTART
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAX] "C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe" /tray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [STOPzilla] "C:\Program Files\STOPzilla!\Stopzilla.exe" /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [SymTray - Norton SystemWorks] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Symtrdr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: EPSON Status Monitor 3 Environment Check.lnk = C:\WINNT\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\E_SRCV03.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: hp officejet 4100 series.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpomau08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: hpoddt01.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Memory Stick Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\MSAC-FD1\MSSTAT.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe
O16 - DPF: {CA034DCC-A580-4333-B52F-15F98C42E04C} (Downloader Class) - http://www.stopzilla.com/_download/Auto_Installer/dwnldr.cab
OK, like I said everything seemed to be working fine. So just to make sure I rebooted it again and now I have a new pop up. I don't know if this had anything to do with what I did or the hijack. This is what I get Instruction at 0x01001192 referenced memory at 0x00000000, memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program. I have no clue what program its refering to or where to even look for the memory error. So I ran the Norton but it didn't find any problems. Tried rebooting 3 more times and it comes up at the begining of Win startup and holds it until I click ok.
Found a fix for the new problem. Microsoft Thanks for all the help. One more question; I've read some of the other forums and there seems to be another type of hijack virus out there that there isn't a fix for yet. So how do I keep this from ever happening again?
You're welcome - glad to help :D

You can't stop this from ever happening again but you can reduce the liklihood - follow the recommendations in Tony's article here:

So how did I get infected in the first place?


As this problem has been resolved the topic will be closed. If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)

The subject of the email must be "Reopen". Include your post username and details about why you need it reopened, with a valid link to your post.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI