Hello,
Stopped in to say "Hi" before trying to figure out what forum I want to enter info about my CPU LOTS of times just starts running at 50% or more while nothing is going on (as far as I can see). Drives me nuts. I want to fix the problem, thus I am signing in here where some experts are.
I have been messing with computers for a while, so HOPEFULLY I will be able to enjoy my membership in this new (for me) forum and understand what I am told to do.
Regards,
Ken
There are several possible reasons for seeing CPU usage when you aren't doing anything. It could be as simple as downloading updates or as nefarious as malware. If you think it might be malware, have a look around the Spyware, Malware, Virus removal forum.. If this seems appropriate, please review Welcome New Members.
If you think it might just be Windows doing "housekeeping" duties when your machine is idle, you might try the Windows forum.
However it turns out… we are glad to have you here. Enjoy your time at our home in cyberspace.
There are several possible reasons for seeing CPU usage when you aren't doing anything. It could be as simple as downloading updates or as nefarious as malware. If you think it might be malware, have a look around the Spyware, Malware, Virus removal forum.. If this seems appropriate, please review Welcome New Members.
If you think it might just be Windows doing "housekeeping" duties when your machine is idle, you might try the Windows forum.
However it turns out… we are glad to have you here. Enjoy your time at our home in cyberspace.
Thanks for the welcome, TomK.
You're just down the road from me a bit.
I left a post in the infections removal thread too, like I was supposed to, but no one has replied yet. We'll see. I'm pretty new to this, only been playing with/building DOS/Windows machines since the 1980's, time to learn what makes a CPU run wideopen for no reason I can see. I've NEVER seen it happen before, in 20+ years, so I am interested in what is causing it.