This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] Please can someone help a totally non technical person even s

20 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi - back now until 5pm and then back after 8pm. Opening up the computer now was VERY slow - much more then usual - about 4 mins - due to bugs/viruses? or all new programmes on here? re hotmail and what it is doing. Yahoo mail is doing the same. I will lift what I put in earlier post about this and post it in 2 minutes. It allso gave me an error 23 message on a windoe earlier in yahoo mail which it has never done before and all the mails I had deleted reappeared.
As I logged into hotmail this morning and I was about to send my log in details a pop up appeared that said "you are about to view pages pver a secure connection. Any information you exchange with this site cannot beviewed by anyone else on the web". However then a second window comes up before my log in details are sent which says "You are about to leave a secure site, It will be possible for others to view information you send. Do you want to continue?" You have to press yes in order to log in but this does worry me tha someone can hack my accounts. Yahoo mail did exactly the same thing when I just logged in. Is this right? I have never had any boxes popping up before.
The messages when logging into your mail about the secure connection are normal. The error code 23 is a bit odd.

OK, let's clean up a bit. You can delete the RootRepeal program and log from your Desktop (just select it and hit Delete).

We're going to download another program to clean you up a little, but you can delete it as soon as it finished.

Hi,

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Download - ATF Cleaner»
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.

(If you use FireFox or the Opera browser
To keep saved passwords, click No at the prompt.)

You can delete ATFCleaner once done. It's normal after running ATF cleaner that the PC will be slower to boot the first time or two.


Next, click Start >> Control Panel >> Add/Remove Programs. Look down the resulting list for the following items, and click Remove by each:
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 3
Java™ 6 Update 3
Java™ SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1

I also recommend removing Limewire, since that is a source of Viruses and other Malware.

Since we removed your old versions of Java, we should now replace it with the latest version. Click here to download the installer for the latest version. Save it to your Desktop, and double-click it to run it. Follow the installation process through. You may be prompted to install things like the Ask Toolbar during the installation process, I recommended saying no to these.


Once done, please restart the computer. Then, open MalwareBytes AntiMalware. Click the Update tab and Check For Updates. Once updated, please use it to run a Full Scan of your system. Make sure all other windows and browsers are closed. Once the scan completes, please post the log it gives.

Thanks.
Hi - sorry it has taken me so long to get on here today. I am working through your action list and am at reinstalling java. Here is the link page. Please can you be specific as to what I should be down loading? Many thanks
sorry it has taken me a while to do this. It was very very slow to log on today. However I think the scan was all clear - hooray. Here it is: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41 Database version: 2814 Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 17/09/2009 11:43:57 mbam-log-2009-09-17 (11-43-57).txt Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|) Objects scanned: 199580 Time elapsed: 35 minute(s), 41 second(s) Memory Processes Infected: 0 Memory Modules Infected: 0 Registry Keys Infected: 0 Registry Values Infected: 0 Registry Data Items Infected: 0 Folders Infected: 0 Files Infected: 0 Memory Processes Infected: (No malicious items detected) Memory Modules Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Keys Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Values Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Data Items Infected: (No malicious items detected) Folders Infected: (No malicious items detected) Files Infected: (No malicious items detected)
Hi. still slow - very slow to log on and ebay is very slow. A few times today when I have opened up new pages they just egg time and I have to close close down. Also when I was rebooting this time up popped: hp digital imaging monitor encountered a problem and needs to closw. However it was not open and has not been I was just booting up? Just to let you know the icons I stil have left on desktop are: Malwarebytes AVG free 8.5 ERUNT NTREGOPT settings combo - fix System look System look (different icon) Sun java Many thanks
You can delete settings, and both SystemLook icons. Let's first just make sure there isn't any Malware that could be causing your slowness and odd behaviour. Do you still have RootRepeal? If not, you can download it here. Please run it, check all the boxes and Scan. Post the log it gives.

Please also run DDS again (this is our main diagnostic tool).

If we can rule out Malware, then perhaps we can get our Techs to look at your machine.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI