This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Microsoft .NET Framework Unhandled Exception.

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I receive the following error on start up.
[external image: Posted Image]

The details are:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.
at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadFile(Uri address, String fileName)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.MyServices.Internal.WebClientCopy.DownloadFile(Uri address, String destinationFileName)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.Devices.Network.DownloadFile(Uri address, String destinationFileName, ICredentials networkCredentials, Boolean showUI, Int32 connectionTimeout, Boolean overwrite, UICancelOption onUserCancel)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.Devices.Network.DownloadFile(String address, String destinationFileName, String userName, String password, Boolean showUI, Int32 connectionTimeout, Boolean overwrite, UICancelOption onUserCancel)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.Devices.Network.DownloadFile(String address, String destinationFileName)
at rs.Form1.Timer3_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)


************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3074 (QFE.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
—————————————-
host
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/System32/explorer.exe
—————————————-
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
—————————————-
System
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
—————————————-
System.Windows.Forms
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
—————————————-
System.Drawing
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
—————————————-
System.Runtime.Remoting
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
—————————————-
System.Configuration
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
—————————————-
System.Xml
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3074 (QFE.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
—————————————-

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

Anything I can do to correct this issue? Thanks.
Hi Sik, 1. Are you a developer who is testing your own new application and bumped into this warning? 2. Or perhaps are you using an existing application that is dependent upon .Net framework, and for some reason during the use of the application, you encountered this warning? — If your situation is #2 above, what is the specific application? ___________________- — Have you completed all of the current MS updates. (I am aware that MS recently released more than one .net framework related updates.)
No, I'm not a software developer. Sadly I have no idea as to what program could be causing this error. Also the error generally comes at start up prior to me using any applications. Of course I do have programs that run on start up just none of them are something I'd think would cause a problem.
Let's have a look at your StartUps…

Please consider running this simple utility that will help you get control of programs and processes that you wish to have running active, or not.

CodeStuff-Starters
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/Starter.html

Download and install, agreeing to the licensing terms and allow to install with all of the default settings as preselected in the installation wizard.

When you finally allow CodeStuff-Starters to run
It will preselect StartUps Tab -
  • Click on File
  • Select - save as .HTML (name the report file - Startups Sept03.html)
I don't see an AntiVirus ??? Otherwise, "all" of those items can be disabled using CodeStuff Starters, or via MS MSCONFIG. All of them will start manually if called. You "may" prefer to have some of the game-related and CubeDesktop running as "personal preference." But Disable them all, then Enable them one at a time, test-driving your machine for a while with each new item added back, until you run into problems. The last item you re-Enabled will most likely be the culprit. __________________ Now it is possible that "none" of those startups is causing difficulty with .net Framework. I'd most suspect CubeDesktop, and the gaming related items. ___________________- IN Control Panel - Add/Remove… Do you show: .NET framework 1, 1.1, 2, service pack 2, 3.0 service pack 2, and 3.5 service pack 1 ??? If not, you still have some Windows OS updating to do.

I don't see an AntiVirus ???

Otherwise, "all" of those items can be disabled using CodeStuff Starters, or via MS MSCONFIG.

All of them will start manually if called.
You "may" prefer to have some of the game-related and CubeDesktop running as "personal preference."

But Disable them all, then Enable them one at a time, test-driving your machine for a while with each new item added back, until you run into problems. The last item you re-Enabled will most likely be the culprit.
__________________

Now it is possible that "none" of those startups is causing difficulty with .net Framework.

I'd most suspect CubeDesktop, and the gaming related items.
___________________-

IN Control Panel - Add/Remove…
Do you show:
.NET framework 1, 1.1, 2, service pack 2, 3.0 service pack 2, and 3.5 service pack 1 ???

If not, you still have some Windows OS updating to do.


The CubeDesktop was something I actually removed a long time ago. I went ahead and removed it using the program you had me download. Also the gaming related items I believe, could be mistaken, but they where downloaded long after the issue.

As for the .NET framework all I have is 3.5 service pack 1. Now am I suppose to be showing ALL of those? If so whats the correct way of going about doing so?

Also no I do not use an anti virus on a regular basis. I've run full scans using a variety of anti virus software as recently as a few days ago. The issue is more then a few months old, but here recently Ive turned my attention to fixing it.

Update: After turning off all the start up programs the issue still persists.
Hi Sik,

First a note about AntiVirus.
Malware risks are "a fact of life" in today's Internet and computing environments.
While periodic manual and online scans can be useful, it is essential to have an active real-time Antivirus installed on Windows Operating Systems.

There are excellent "free" and "for fee" antivirus utilities.
Of the "free" offerings, I like Avira (which does support Vista SP1)

The Free version of Avira Antivirus is available at MajorGeeks.com, Download.com or Softpedia.com.
Here's a link to get you started. It offers both the free (left side of page) and paid (right side) versions.
http://www.free-av.de/en/trialpay_download…_antivirus.html
I use Avira Free. (and a variety of other security related utilities)
For more, see: http://forums.whatthetech.com/Preventing_M…ing_t98700.html
______________________________-

Now more about .Net Framework…

.Net Framework 3.0 comes installed with Vista. (It appears that you are running Vista ? ) please correct me if I'm wrong on guessing your Windows operating system.)

There is apparently at least one "conflict" that can occur with .Net Framework 3.5 SP1

***It is necessary to have your Vista operating system updated to Vista SP1 "before" installing the update of .NetFramework 3.5
__________________________

What should you do?

Unless you are certain that your Vista was updated to SP1 "before" the .Net Framework 3.5 was installed, the do the following:

** Uninstall .Net Framework 3.5 using Add/Remove in your Control Panel

*** Update your Windows Vista to SP1.
*** Reinstall .NetFramework 3.5
*** Download and install update KB 959209 for .Net Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
******available here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959209
______________________________

Now what?
Give your machine a test drive.
Hopefully you will no longer receive the Exception Error at startup (or any other time)

The .Net Framework 3.0 installed automatically with Vista is apparently a cumulative version, that "should" contain necessary components from prior versions.

Keep us updated with your progress.

Best Regards
All I see is .NET framework 3.5 sp1, but yes my operating system is Windows Vista 64 bit. Anyways I took your suggestion and I've downloaded and installed Avira. What else would you recommend for both security and computer maintenance? Also I reinstalled .Net framework and I'll keep you posted on the results.
So far I've encountered no more errors at start up or during any other time. Looks like I installed it incorrectly the first time. Anyways thank you very much for your help.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI